Is this another YEAR ZERO?

It's been the third game of the year, of which he took a middle rate team on the road to play the number 2 team in the entire country. Good lord.

Give him a minimum of three years before going head hunting, extend that to four or five years if the team wins enough to break even or hits the 7-5 mark.

I think Jones is far better than Dooley in terms of being able to win, and even if he isn't here for the long term I don't think he will throw us under the bus like Kiffin did, but given the state of the team these past few seasons, building back to where we're even remotely decent is not going to happen over night.

I full expect that even when the team is winning more consistently and going to bowl games, I would not be surprised if it's two or three years of the Music City, Liberty, or whatever the name of that bowl game in Shreveport is.

Until then, just settle back, relax, and buy your Lady Vols Elite Eight Bball tickets.

If we aren't contending in the SEC in two years, anyone thinking a coach gets five years needs to realign their thinking compass. Nobody get 5 years unless we get a great record in the SEC and a BCS bowl. I'll just guess now that Jones will not get 5 years. Or, 4 years.

If he can eventually get to the point where 8-9 wins a year are possible with the Cotton Bowl, Gator Bowl, or Peach Bowl being a regular realistic prospect, I'll be happy. Not that a BCS Bowl would be bad, but anything is a far cry from where we are.

Butch Jones may finally be the answer to turning the team into a relevant program again, or in the long run he might not be, but anyone calling for his head now should wake up and smell the roses. This team is in a deep hole right now, and for better or worse, it's going to take at least 2-3 seasons before 6-6 might be consistently doable, let alone anything much beyond that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm guessing that 5 is a reasonable starting point. This year was going to be a mess and next year could be worse due to loss of upperclassmen linemen. 2015 is really year 1.

I think you're looking at 5-6 years minimum to have any chance of turning this around (competing regularly with the upper echelon of the conference). Saying that the cupboard is bare is an understatement. Butch needs to build the cupboard before he can even think of stocking it.

He gets 3, by that time if he isn't winning, OP will have won his 2nd championship with the 7-8 year old English Mountain rec league and will take the job and lead us to glory.

I think you're looking at 5-6 years minimum to have any chance of turning this around (competing regularly with the upper echelon of the conference). Saying that the cupboard is bare is an understatement. Butch needs to build the cupboard before he can even think of stocking it.

Weren't we looking at that time frame a few coaches ago?

I'm guessing that 5 is a reasonable starting point. This year was going to be a mess and next year could be worse due to loss of upperclassmen linemen. 2015 is really year 1.

I agree with you. With all the players we will lose after this season I would give Butch atleast5 yrs to get us really competitive again.

Weren't we looking at that time frame a few coaches ago?

Yes...and the coaches between then and now have made it FAR worse. Also, there are a ton of really good coaches in this conference now. This isn't the SEC of the 80's or 90's anymore.

I agree with you. With all the players we will lose after this season I would give Butch atleast5 yrs to get us really competitive again.

Even if he isn't winning and hasn't beat a good team in three years give him two more? That is what people wanted to do with Dooley. That is stupid. You don't get 5 years to beat a decent team. I like Butch and believe he will lead us back. I never had confidence in Dooley. But if Butch is 5-7 after year three and hasn't beat any rivals he shouldn't and won't get a fourth or fifth year. I am happy with Butch though.

I think he needs to beat one of Florida, Georgia, Alabama or South Carolina by his third season to have some job security beyond that. If we are 0-12 over the next three years against those four teams people won't be happy. About the only thing that might keep him around is finances and paying off coaches.

And those of you that are talking 5+ years of job security, those days are over.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes...and the coaches between then and now have made it FAR worse. Also, there are a ton of really good coaches in this conference now. This isn't the SEC of the 80's or 90's anymore.

Agree. In today's game, if a coach isn't winning and going for some championships, they are not going to get 5 years. Or four years. They produce in three or they will be out.

Pretty much any coach should get 4-5 years to prove they can turn around a bad situation.

The only exception should be when a coach shows extreme incompetence. Such was the case with Dooley - anyone that was there for the Mizzou game last year could see he had a poorer grasp of clock management and timeouts than the average Pop Warner coach.

You keep Jones as long as there is not a reasonable doubt that he won't win championships. When he proves it beyond a reasonable doubt, as Dooley did in '11, then you rinse and repeat the cycle. Every year a lame duck coach is at the helm, the Athletics Department bleeds millions.

Wait until he wins a championship & has a bad season the next year then fire him. He won with Dooley's guys.

Lay off Butch Jones. We weren't going to be able to hang with Oregon even if we had Jesus himself as head coach! Give CBJ time! Tennessee is not going to be down forever! Tennessee beating everybody we have left on our schedule is NOT impossible....improbable, maybe, but, certainly not impossible!

ZERO chance of this happening. We start over on the offensive line next year. In 2014 beatdowns like the one we just got from Oregon will be more the norm.

Next year's line...as a unit, won't be as physically talented as this year's version, but will be almost two years immersed in the scheme and it's inner workings. By the middle of 2014 it will be a strength and an improvement...a major component to the Great Negavol Lemming Cliff Dive of 2015 :)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Some already are.

Which is why Tennessee fans are made fun of by other fan bases so often.

The one thing I have enjoyed since I left Knoxville and went to work at another school is seeing how UT & its fans are perceived outside the orange bubble. It's not pretty sometimes thanks to a few idiots who think that it's the late 90s.

Glad to see so many people scold the original poster for even asking this asinine question. It's idiotic questions like this that give other coaches ammunition in recruiting.

This is embarrassing from people who claim to be knowledgeable fans . No way we were ever gonna beat Oregon , and anyone with any common sense would know that .

Everyone bought into Dooleys year zero plan. So giving him three years actually was giving him four. Now, we all know the situation is worse now for Butch so do we give him four years to have an eight win season? Seems that everyone was all for Dools right up to and till the Ky loss. What's the over and under that if he doesn't have an eight win season by year three everyone will be calling for his head?
Dear God in Heaven.

And to think that I was wishing for the season to get started.

VN Store

Back