Jalen ButtHurts not happy with QB competition anymore. (would Tennessee be interested?)

I think Hurts probably ends up transferring but it won't be till he finishes his last 15 hrs and graduates. Makes no sense to transfer before then and have to sit out a year. But once he graduates then no doubt he's gone. Unless he somehow wins the job, which I doubt. Either way, one of Jalen and Tua won't be around after this season. I'm gonna be greedy and pull for both to say screw it and leave. These are the things that can divide locker rooms, no matter who the team or Coach's are. Alabama's schedule this year is a joke, they have the West and Playoff birth pretty much locked down. Their Non Conference is an absolute joke and they get Miss St, A'M and Aub at home. LSU is their toughest road game but with Coach O there they aren't beating Saban. Then get TN and Mizzou from the East. Taylor made for a Playoff run again.
He has an unburnt redshirt. Sounds like he’s ready to use it. If he stays and backs Tua up...playing just enough will use up a year of eligibility. So no benefit to waiting for the graduate transfer route.

Reactions: Remy
I'm not complaining and it doesn't matter where or who is covering this story. Unlike the masses, you get the benefit of inside Bama info that is unique to Orangeville alone. You are, however, losing me with all this talk about forums and coming and going. Just think of me as the gift that keeps giving and no ones getting billed at the end of the month.

And you got to quit thinking of me as the "enemy." It's souring the milk of human kindness in your ability to relate to others of a different color. Try to think of me as just a humble SEC brethren that only has the long-term warfare of my fellow football fanatic in mind.
"warfare...?" ...was that like, a Freudian slip?

Reactions: OneVolNation
I think he meant to say "welfare" but actually "warfare" makes more sense in my somewhat addled brainpan... lol
Yea, shame on you for reading that mess. Wanna read crap, read Jack Burton's stuff, at least he says he's a Vol.

Yea, shame on you for reading that mess. Wanna read crap, read Jack Burton's stuff, at least he says he's a Vol.
Good point. But I have some time to kill in the lab this afternoon so I have been mindlessly reading his **** since I did not see any of Burton's crap.

He has an unburnt redshirt. Sounds like he’s ready to use it. If he stays and backs Tua up...playing just enough will use up a year of eligibility. So no benefit to waiting for the graduate transfer route.

You could be right but I was just posting what Jalen said the other day. He was asked about transferring and he said why would I transfer now with 15 hours left to graduate. That could change depending on how he feels about how Fall Camp is going. I hope he soon, Ala is dangerously low on QB depth this season. If he left and Tua got hurt they could have problems. Also will depend on if he wants to sit out a year somewhere. Atleast if he stayed , he would be one play from starting again. But I'm pulling for him to leave before the season starts.

Jack’s gone from guaranteed coaching search in three years to cheering Pruitt if he’s good...miss the :thumbsup: emoji.

You could be right but I was just posting what Jalen said the other day. He was asked about transferring and he said why would I transfer now with 15 hours left to graduate. That could change depending on how he feels about how Fall Camp is going. I hope he soon, Ala is dangerously low on QB depth this season. If he left and Tua got hurt they could have problems. Also will depend on if he wants to sit out a year somewhere. Atleast if he stayed , he would be one play from starting again. But I'm pulling for him to leave before the season starts.
Did the other day pre-date the complaints about the coaches? If so, there’s the change.

If I could like this a million times I would. It continues to amaze me at how many self-righteous Bama fans still want to hate on Fulmer for turning them in, rather than being mad at their own program for putting themselves in that position in the 1st place. Like they wouldn’t have done the exact same thing to us if the tables were turned! As AD, I hope Fulmer does it again! As good as Saban is, no program stacks 5 star on top of 5 star on top of 5 star the way he does without some shady **** going on! Now Kirby looks to be doing it at Georgia. Well, he learned from the best.

Hopefully we become a part of that tradition as well. Pretty much all schools do it, but for some reason, only the ones that get caught are really considered cheaters?!? I just hope if we follow in the same footsteps as Saban and Smart, we don't pull an Auburn and get caught! JMO

I'm not sure that factors in much. His running ability can help offset that. Coaching and PT probably are the biggest factors for him. Some say he isn't a passer but his passing numbers are better than most. Is way better than Fitzgerald's and somehow Nick is listed as a great QB. Hurts career stats in 2 yrs are 62% comp, 4900 yards,7. 6 Y/A, 40/10 TD/ Int and a 143.5 passer rating. plus another 1800 yards rushing and 21 Rushing TD's. He can be inconsistent at times passing but his stats are legit. Obviously some of that is the team he plays on, but his passing is better than some give him credit for.

He throws a slow lofting pass. Bama's receivers and his ability to pull down and run are what opens passing routes up for him to have his completions. If he is forced to remain in the pocket and become a drop back passer he is less than mediocre, see his passing stats against UGA in the NC game. Most teams do not have the talent on the field to display his weakness but playing for a NC, he'll be forced to see it. He's just never been an NFL caliber talented QB. He's a very talented athlete and open field runner with a limited passing arm and is suspect reading defenses.

Did the other day pre-date the complaints about the coaches? If so, there’s the change.

Oh yea he said this after he complained about the Coach's. That was his response to Saban saying he didn't even know if he would be at Alabama to start the season. There was no change, he said that a couple days after voicing his displeasure. It makes no sense to leave that close to being able to graduate.

Oh yea he said this after he complained about the Coach's. That was his response to Saban saying he didn't even know if he would be at Alabama to start the season. There was no change, he said that a couple days after voicing his displeasure. It makes no sense to leave that close to being able to graduate.
Even if it cost you a year of eligibility?

He throws a slow lofting pass. Bama's receivers and his ability to pull down and run are what opens passing routes up for him to have his completions. If he is forced to remain in the pocket and become a drop back passer he is less than mediocre, see his passing stats against UGA in the NC game. Most teams do not have the talent on the field to display his weakness but playing for a NC, he'll be forced to see it. He's just never been an NFL caliber talented QB. He's a very talented athlete and open field runner with a limited passing arm and is suspect reading defenses.

I definitely agree on him not being an NFL QB. But he's not a horrible passer and protects the ball. He's not going to light up a secondary but isn't going to cost you games with mistakes. I don't see him fitting our system but Fitzgerald is getting all this hype as a great QB and his passing is pretty bad. And hes a turnover waiting to happen when he's passing the ball. But as a runner he's legit. Hurts will do ok in the right system in college but definitely not a future NFL QB.

Even if it cost you a year of eligibility?

How would it cost him eligibility? He will play plenty this year at Ala. Their schedule is an embarrassment and there will be lots of PT for the backup's. There's no guarantee Tua can even stay healthy the entire season or play well when teams can game plan for him. Not to mention he may really want to graduate from there and is close to doing so. He's probably gonna need that degree unless he changes positions in the NFL. He can play this year, transfer without having to sit out and still have his RS avail as insurance.

How would it cost him eligibility? He will play plenty this year at Ala. Their schedule is an embarrassment and there will be lots of PT for the backup's. There's no guarantee Tua can even stay healthy the entire season or play well when teams can game plan for him. Not to mention he may really want to graduate from there and is close to doing so. He's probably gonna need that degree unless he changes positions in the NFL. He can play this year, transfer without having to sit out and still have his RS avail as insurance.
He’s a true junior. If he plays this year, he’ll have one year of eligibility. If he transfers and uses his redshirt year for the transfer year...he’ll have two. He can graduate anywhere with the credits he has...the degree from Bama must be worth it.

Reactions: Remy
It's not much different that Tua transferring if he didn't play in the NC game or start this year. It may not be as publicly made, but the Ala insider's I know have said this a few times. You basically have 2 QB's making threats of transferring if they aren't the starter. Obviously Tua starting has a more long term effect because of his brother. Although I don't think it's a given little bro end up in Tuscaloosa. He most likely does, but it's far from decided or a given. The Ala people I know who know more than most aren't as confident as they once were. They said it wouldn't shock them if they ended up at Ala or TN. Someone else posted the other day saying an Ala insider said he won't end up at Ala. No clue who the guy is or how legit he is. The ones I know aren't sure either way, but know Pruitt atleast has us in the discussion. We will see.

Tua qualified his statement. He was talking to some grade school kids about not giving up. He said he had in mind the gruelling 4th quarter program that was getting the best of him at the time. He loves to set his life up as an example to young folks, it's just who he is. Very gregarious and outgoing to a fault. I think he was trying too hard to give the kids something to think about and wishes he had framed it better.

I've not only not seen any frustration on Tua's part but his younger brother, Taulia, decides to verbally commit on April 21, during our spring A-Day game. Why would he do this if Tua has any lingering doubts or is frustrated with his role at Bama? They are extremely close as a family, Lia is being recruited by all the elite programs. It stands to reason the family which moved to B'ham. to be closer to Tua would want enough closure to be comfortable that son #2 fits the program as Tua did. Apparently, he does.

From a recruiting standpoint, Taulia is practically living on campus this summer and spends a lot of time personally with coach Saban and his brother. You have to make of that what you will.

Don't forget Thompson HS, where Tua's brother plays at is coached by a Bammer Alum and almost half of his staff played at or graduated from Alabama. It's definitely not a coincidence, especially with Thompson HS never being a powerhouse or even a decent HC Football program. There was much better HS Football options with a winning history. Alabaster, Al is not a city that screams move here to families relocating. There's Hoover, Vestavia, Helena, Pelham, Trussville, Mtn Brook plus some really good High-schools in Tuscalooser that have been known powerhouses. There's no way that wasn't set up for them. You don't move from Hawaii to Alabaster to play at a historically bad HS Football school with being guided there. And their HS Coach has coached at numerous HS programs in Alabama and guess where most of his elite players have ended up?? In Tuscaloosa! No way in hell it's all a big coincidence.

And Trey Smith being from Tennessee and having a sister working on the volunteer staff isn't great timing? Actually, if the Tagovailoa family were living in "Hoover or Vestavia" or that Lia was now a QB for a perennial powerhouse football program would make my antennas go up that much more. The fact that none of that is happening just adds credence to the notion that this is a very close family and they were willing to sacrifice their culture and convenience of family and familiarity to invest in their boy's football future and education.

Perhaps some Tennessee players have families that have moved closer due to the same circumstances. Why not do some research and get back with me?

And Trey Smith being from Tennessee and having a sister working on the volunteer staff isn't great timing? Actually, if the Tagovailoa family were living in "Hoover or Vestavia" or that Lia was now a QB for a perennial powerhouse football program would make my antennas go up that much more. The fact that none of that is happening just adds credence to the notion that this is a very close family and they were willing to sacrifice their culture and convenience of family and familiarity to invest in their boy's football future and education.

Perhaps some Tennessee players have families that have moved closer due to the same circumstances. Why not do some research and get back with me?
Not our job to do homework for ya. Maybe you wouldn’t get frustrated on other teams message boards if you didn’t...hang out on other teams message boards?

But don't act like Alabama hasn't had bad times and decades with lots of coaching turnover. I live in Shelby County Alabama

Living in Shelby County is the answer and will always be the answer for your special disdain. It's impossible to live around the other colors of a big rival and survive emotionally unscarred.

I spent a few years in West Tennessee in Milan. Even though we were winning the rivalry at the time, all I can tell you is that there is absolutely no hope. Just try not to do something drastic during this latest siege.

If Bailey signs with us, Shrout may not see the field unless he learns how to read a defense better.
Certainly possible. I would hope we play Shrout this year in 4 games after the outcome is decided.

Looks like Chryst may be the backup, but there is no reason to put him in for mop up duty.

My point is Thompson isn't even a great HS. I think it looks much more Shady going to a predominantly bad HS Football program with half the staff full of Bammer's. It doesn't get anymore questionable than that. People don't just pick Alabaster with all the better cities and school options around and easier that are easier to access. . Trey Smith is from TN, the same state his University is in. His sister also going to the same home state University isn't uncommon. so that argument is in typical Ala form and has no merit. Tua's family isn't from Alabama, so that argument makes no damn sense. There was no 3 timezone move by Trey or his sister to a below average HS, that's never been relevant in Football till last year. Thompson's HC, being a Bammer has a history of his elite players ending up in Tuscaloosa no matter what HS he's coaching at.. Just like the two he currently has at Thompson. That was found out with research. I guarantee if Mark Freeman wasn't coaching at Thompson, they would have never ended up there. Go visit Alabaster, Al and tell me that's the city and school you move thousand's of miles for. Trussville, Vestavia, Mtn Brook, Spain Park, Helena, Pelham, Calera or the numerous powerhouse and good school systems in Tuscaloosa. Alabaster isn't a city locally that people from out of state typically set their sights on. It's not the easiest school to access and till they recently opened the new HS, the last one was a complete dump. So they moved here while the old dump HS was still in use. Shut off the Bammer mentality and then you will be able to see how there's zero merit to your argument. Do you live in Alabama or are you an Alabama fan who either Never attended the University or never even lived in the state? I've seen that happen a lot the last 10-12 yrs, especially when I come back home to TN. There's Ala fans in TN, who have never even been to Tuscaloosa or even been to the state. I can understand if those same ones moved to TN from Ala like I moved from TN to Ala but that's not the case with the majority of the ones I know or have asked. Just curious, which category of Bammer do you fall into??

I'm not aware of any current families they picked up and followed their son to TN on the current roster but I guess it's possible. I would imagine if they did it would be to Knoxville and a school system in Knox County that's close to the University. Alabaster is over an hour away from Alabama's campus and in Shelby County, not Tuscaloosa County. Also remember Tua's brother went to a different HS so he wouldn't be stuck behind his brother. Who knows he may want to pave his own path and not follow in his brother's shadows. I think he ends up in Tuscaloosa but don't sleep on Pruitt's relationship with their Dad. He could decide he doesn't want the drama of competing with a HeadCoaching Legend's grandson. There's just as many reasons not to go to Ala as there is to go there.

If Bailey signs with us, Shrout may not see the field unless he learns how to read a defense better.

I think he will, it's just gonna be getting the reps and continuing to learn the position. Numerous media people have said JT is the QB who stands out. Obviously he's not starting this year unless JG and Chryst get hurt and he would benefit greatly from a RS year. Gives him a year of no pressure and focusing on learning the QB position better. He's got all the tools, just a matter of developing them and the having the mental toughness to play the position at a high pressure University. But he's supposedly mature beyond his age, intelligent and willing to learn. That's half the battle.

VN Store

Back