Jameis Winston (FSU) merged

MSU,

I won't argue with most of that. But the TMZ stuff doesn't strike me as legit. If they paid they family 50 grand, why get no quotes? All TMZ reported was that the accusation was out there against Winston. If I pay someone that much many for a story, they aren't giving the juicy bits to someone else for free.

Given that I am a Seminole fan, I'd like to believe he was just a 18 year old having sex and the girl got jealous playing second fiddle.

However, I also know nothing is at it seems and just because Winston has had a pristine rep so fat doesn't mean he couldn't have made a mistake.

Forgetting to pay a bill is a mistake, rape is not a mistake! Not saying he's guilty, but there's an entire web of lies surrounding this case from both sides.

Reactions: 1 person
MSU,

I won't argue with most of that. But the TMZ stuff doesn't strike me as legit. If they paid they family 50 grand, why get no quotes? All TMZ reported was that the accusation was out there against Winston. If I pay someone that much many for a story, they aren't giving the juicy bits to someone else for free.

I know. Doesn't make sense. None of this does right now.

LawGator, do you work/love in Florida? I'd like to hear your thoughts about Meggs and his (mis)handling of info and this case to date.

LawGator, do you work/love in Florida? I'd like to hear your thoughts about Meggs and his (mis)handling of info and this case to date.

Another bungled case thanks to cops and media

God no!!! You would not love to hear any of his thoughts!!!

I do, but do not know him. I don't really have any practice up that far north.

My impression is that either the police investigator flat out did not think there was anything to the claim at the time, or might have turned a bit of a deaf ear to the family, if indeed they were complaining like they say they were, about the DNA test.

I know that 11 months seems like a long time, but its not hard to imagine a scenario wherein the case gets worked on a little bit, then put aside for one reason or another, then the family calls to complain, it gets worked on some more, then set aside, and next thing you know its Septemberish.

The family could be behind it getting leaked at this point, figuring that its the only way to get a fire lit.

If that is the scenario here, then I would think that is very bad for the TPD. A decade-plus ago, and going a bit further back I did live therefor about five years, the TPD was well known to protect the football players.

But this is a different age. Despite my comments, I'd have a hard time believing abject cover-up. Lazy and slow investigation? That seems more likely to me.

If you are such a big FSU fan, why isn't your user name FSUDuo?

Missouri State is my first love. I joined this site when 'Zo was hired and figured MSUDuo would help people know why I was here. As if anyone really cared :eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

Well, now this story has "sources". It's making it rounds all over now.

Jameis Winston will not be facing any charges sources say

The more the accuser's lawyer keeps going to TMZ and ESPN to release statements, the more I like where this is headed. Jansen just needs to stay relative quiet and the woman will do all the damage herself.

While Winston may never face charges, your linked story appears to be nothing more than a combination of several rumors that have been running around FSU message boards for the last week or so. You says it has "sources", but it neither names any sources (or even identifies those that wish to be anonymous) nor prints any quotes that supposedly came from someone in the know. The author gives no real indication of where he got any of the info, nor how he went about verifying it.

It's a blog. Nothing more.

Let me also add that the blog MSU linked has a picture captioned "accuser below?". I know a blogger doesn't have any institutional policy regarding such things, but what about simply human decency? Whether you believe her story or not, what kind of jackoff posts a picture of an alleged rape victim? Especially in a situation like this, where her life would be made miserable if people figured out who she was? And adding the question mark at the end indicates that he couldn't be sure it was the right girl. What if the author just indirectly sent a bunch of degenerates to harass the wrong person?

What is wrong with people?

Reactions: 3 people
Missouri State is my first love. I joined this site when 'Zo was hired and figured MSUDuo would help people know why I was here. As if anyone really cared :eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

Why did they drop the Southwest part of MSU ? I still have SWMU Bears sweatshirt someone gave me from the 90s

Jameis Winston accuser's lawyer -- This was a rape - ESPN

As the state attorney's office weighs whether it believes it has sufficient evidence to bring criminal charges against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, the family of the woman who has accused him of sexually assaulting her in December 2012 issued a second statement Friday night, saying the woman was raped by the Heisman Trophy candidate.

Responding to earlier claims by Winston's attorney that he had consensual sex with the woman, Patricia Carroll, the family's attorney, said in the statement: "To be clear, the victim did not consent. This was a rape."

On Wednesday night, ESPN.com reported that a DNA analysis completed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement confirmed that DNA provided by Winston matched the sample taken from the underwear of the woman. According to the DNA analysis report, a copy of which was viewed by ESPN.com on Wednesday, the Florida state crime lab determined the chance of the DNA in the woman's underwear being a match for someone other than Winston was one in 2.2 trillion.

On Thursday morning, Tim Jansen, Winston's attorney, said Winston had sex with the woman on Dec. 7, 2012, and that the sex was "absolutely" consensual. Jansen said the DNA match didn't surprise him and that the revelation wouldn't change his client's defense to the allegations.

"Jansen stated that the DNA leak damaged his client's reputation," Carroll wrote. "Why would a consensual encounter damage his client's reputation? However, a rape would certainly damage his client's reputation. The 'consent defense' is too little too late and is clearly reactive damage control by Jansen after learning the DNA matched his client."

In the statement, Carroll also questioned why Tallahassee police informed Winston that he was a suspect in the alleged rape, and why police didn't interview witnesses who could speak to Winston's innocence in February after they were initially informed of the alleged attack. Jansen has repeatedly said affidavits from two witnesses who were at the off-campus apartment on the night of the alleged attack would support Winston's claim of having consensual sex with the woman.

As to the original incident report from Tallahassee police in which the accuser described her attacker as being between 5 feet, 9 inches and 5 feet, 11 inches, Carroll wrote: "Lastly, DNA is not 5'9'' to 5'11'', DNA is Jameis Winston."

On Friday, William Meggs, state attorney for the Second Judicial Circuit in Tallahassee, said his office was making progress in the case and might be in a position to decide whether or not to bring criminal charges in the case by early next week. The accuser, a former FSU student who was enrolled at the school until last week, was interviewed by the state attorney's office on Thursday.

"We're waiting on some things and we still have some loose ends to tie up," Meggs said. "We're getting close to determining an opinion and getting ready."

Meggs told The Associated Press there are still "four or five" things that still need to be done before a decision is made on potential charges.

Asked when his office might be ready to make a decision on whether it has sufficient evidence to charge Winston, Meggs told ESPN.com: "I don't really know. I don't know. When you're depending on other people, it makes it a little more difficult. They're not working on our schedule."

Meggs said Wednesday he does not anticipate taking the case in front of a grand jury.

If Winston is charged with a felony, he will be subject to immediate suspension from the team. According to FSU's Intercollegiate Athletics Policies and Procedures handbook, student-athletes charged with a felony "will not be permitted to represent FSU Athletics in game competition until such time as the charge is resolved and all court, university and athletics department conditions for reinstatement have been met."

The FSU policy does include a stipulation that allows the suspension to be waived for "extraordinary circumstances as determined by the administration."

Winston, a redshirt freshman from Bessemer, Ala., is a leading Heisman candidate and has guided the No. 2 Seminoles to a 10-0 record in his first season as a starter. He is expected to start Saturday's home game against Idaho at Doak Campbell Stadium.

Interesting part of that article though:

If Winston is charged with a felony, he will be subject to immediate suspension from the team. According to FSU's Intercollegiate Athletics Policies and Procedures handbook, student-athletes charged with a felony "will not be permitted to represent FSU Athletics in game competition until such time as the charge is resolved and all court, university and athletics department conditions for reinstatement have been met."

The FSU policy does include a stipulation that allows the suspension to be waived for "extraordinary circumstances as determined by the administration."

Why did they drop the Southwest part of MSU ? I still have SWMU Bears sweatshirt someone gave me from the 90s

Because the University had become more than just a state regional institute. We have students from every county, all 50 states, and 85 countries with a campus in China as well. We are the 2nd largest University in the state. It was long over due (the fight to drop Southwest started in the 1980s) and for now we sold our soul to the University of Missouri to get it changed.

VN Store

Back