Jimmy Carter Appreciation Thread

Took a couple of visiting relatives to the Carter Presidential Library and Museum last year. It had been years since I had visited.
It certainly confirms what an impactful and honorable life he lived.

Reactions: Pennheel
Like how Evangelicals didn't have a consensus position on abortion until it became political?
You might be familiar with something I am not as I was only a child in 1973; but it has always been my understanding that the Church has ALWAYS held abortion to be sinful, going all the way back to the Church fathers. I would be glad to learn other opinions
Respect for Unborn Human Life: The Church's Constant Teaching
And yes I know I am quoting Catholic doctrine; but there were no evangelical church’s until the reformation. My own Baptist experience has always been quite unambiguous as well

You might be familiar with something I am not as I was only a child in 1973; but it has always been my understanding that the Church has ALWAYS held abortion to be sinful, going all the way back to the Church fathers. I would be glad to learn other opinions
Respect for Unborn Human Life: The Church's Constant Teaching
And yes I know I am quoting Catholic doctrine; but there were no evangelical church’s until the reformation. My own Baptist experience has always been quite unambiguous as well

Catholics have always been against it. It was a debate among Evangelicals until feminists started stumping for abortion. That's why it became political...feminists and Evangelicals were at war so they had to take the other side on this issue, especially since you get to call them murderers.

Same thing happened with Mormons. Abortion wasn't even mentioned in the church handbook until 1976. Whoa, God suddenly had revelation for his people, and it's revelation that implies feminists are evil! Imagine that. Now ask a Mormon about it, and they just assume it's always been a cardinal sin.

Took a couple of visiting relatives to the Carter Presidential Library and Museum last year. It had been years since I had visited.
It certainly confirms what an impactful and honorable life he lived.
What section did you most enjoy?

We attended one of his Sunday School classes in 2019. He had a great sense of humor. He and Mrs. Carter took pictures after the service with everyone that wanted one.

My husband and I made a road trip specifically to attend his Sunday School class a few years ago. Then we sat just a couple rows behind them during the sermon, and we all had lunch at the same local restaurant. My husband is a huge Carter fan, and the photo we had made that day with President and Mrs. Carter is one of his most prized possessions. We always meant to go back and hear him teach another class, but we didn't make it back.

My dad had a 6 pack of Billy beer and World's Fair beer sitting in his hot garage for 15+ years before he died. He always offered them to his son inlaws when they came over. He was a sly bastard.

Does beer go bad or more alcoholic?

Last edited:
My husband and I made a road trip specifically to attend his Sunday School class a few years ago. Then we sat just a couple rows behind them during the sermon, and we all had lunch at the same local restaurant. My husband is a huge Carter fan, and the photo we had made that day with President and Mrs. Carter is one of his most prized possessions. We always meant to go back and hear him teach another class, but we didn't make it back.
One of the people helping at the church the day we visited was Billy Carter’s daughter.

Sounds like he doesn't have much longer. Whatever you think of him as a president (I actually think he was fine), he was a good, honest man with a lot of humanity.

He is a straight, white man who believes in God. Isn’t he trash in your eyes because he believes in an imaginary sky daddy as you call it?

Reactions: OrangeBoro
I’m glad he helped build so many houses. Because his economy and interest rates made it almost impossible to own one.

Reactions: OrangeBoro
I think I was in 6th grade when he ran for president. I know I was 11. Lived in northern middle GA about 20 minutes south of Atlanta Motor Speedway. We had a mock vote, and of course we all voted for him. It was a big thing for Georgians. Economy was already shot. He was set up for failure anyway, but there were some key issues that he handled in such a way as to doom his term as a president, regardless of the rest of the things that were goona go badly anyway. Actually, it shows in the aftermath just how strong Reagan was to bring everything back.

Yes, he was a fine person. My dad knew him as an aquaintance as Carter's peanut farming background and dad's career as a peanut scientist with UGA had them cross paths a few times. Mom was always a proud wife. She would tell how Carter was asked who the worlds foremeost expert on peanuts was, and he would answer Dr. David Cu***** (my dad...not gonna print his full name). He always spoke well of Carter and liked him. However, dad was disppointed that with Carter's Southern Baptist upbringing, he did toe party lines on certain liberal issues that would have been considered at odds with a devout Baptist upbringing. Typically, as we all know how politics works, those tendencies to toe the line are superficial political stances. Carter, by far, has been involved in hands on work and support for the less fortunate for his entire post-presidency more than any other ex-prez or most other humans for that matter. He just didn't support Habitat, he slung hammers and put in work on countless homes built for others. I've seen no other ex-prez serve the public as he has. I do think he truly understood that legacy has nothing to do with your track record in an occupation, but your track record with your maker. He was a public servent like no other public figure.

Edit: All that being said, he would have been the only Dem I ever cast a vote for, had I been voting age. I'm not a party voter per se. It is possible that I voted for Clinton's first term, till I found out who he was. Actually, can't recall. But, I want deny that aside from him being a POS, he's the last prez to leave a balanced budget and a surplus. But, he also signed NAFTA, which decimated the nations industrial base in the years following his presidency. So, his idiocy ultimately rivaled his ability to balance the nations books.

Last edited:
I chose to say interest rates. But I could have commented on gas shortages. Take your pick.
Anyone being sworn into office at that time would have inherited all that and failed. The economic situation the country was in did not magically appear in 1976. It was already hitting full stride. I'd conclude he didn't make good choices on cabinet members that had the know how on advising how to fix it. His track record as Ga Gov was probably a good bit better than that transferrance to the level the country needed. Granted, he made some bad decisions that doomed his tenure, but as history unfolded, Reagan was the only person capable to handle the economy of the late 70's and early 80's and make that turn.

VN Store

Back