Josh Heupel emerges (old thread)

Franklin isn't leaving PSU, Campbell isn't leaving Iowa State. Texas/Auburn couldn't pry Campbell away, we certainly aren't.

I'm surprised UT isn't going after Bill O'Brien hard. I guess the risk just isn't there for him when he can just spend 2-3 years as an OL Coach on Saban's staff and pole vault into whatever job he wants.
At this point, I'd really, REALLY like that hire. O'Brien would be a breath of fresh air in this coaching search.

No, not so much. We are a long suffering fan base (who has weathered the long storm) who has been mislead, lied to, and told by media and rival fanbases to "stop whining you losers" and "Tenn thinks its too good for inexperienced coordinator" and "just stay as you are and don't threaten the big boys ever again". Listen, I NEVER criticize an Auburn or a Texas or an Alabama or LSU for seeking the very best man to lead their program. Its not my team and I haven't suffered thru whatever they have experienced, so I'll keep my damned mouth shut and not offer an unwanted comment on their hire or whom they seek. Shut the F Up you trolls and you outside folks who have no clue what we have been expected to swallow for the last 15 years. We will live with who is hired and do our best to support him, but if another poor choice is made, the clock is ticking on probably the most loyal fanbase in the land. And we won't keep quiet for ever if this is screwed up. Live with it, you people trying to judge us.
I respect and value your opinion. I've been a Vol fan for over 60 years. So I think I've experienced the highs and lows of our storied program. But lately with the latest coach search it's been almost comical. Let White do his job.

Reactions: HiltonHeadVol
It reminds me of the Jimmy The Greek story of him at the horse track. For the last race, he would place a wager on every horse. When the race was over, he would make a scene that he had the winner. RIP Greek!
He’s your next HC

Everybody, well most wanted a proven headcoach...here he is and is a good coach but they'll still complain
Some still think UT is still a top tier job. It isn’t anymore. Truth hurts.
It can get back to greatness, but the coach that does it will not be the “home run hire” that everyone wants.

Look back in UT history........the greatest HC’s were all assistants when they were hired at UT( except Majors)
Fulmer, Battle, Dickey, and Gen. Neyland were all assistants before HC at UT. Wyatt was HC at Wyoming and Arkansas. He was decent in Knoxville, but not great.

Reactions: GrizzlyVol
2 of the 3 are trending the right way as far as W-L records go...
Granted I don’t follow these guys closely but it seems to me like UCF’s decline had more to do with McKenzie Milton not being there than anything else... Most people have Scott Frost all the credit but he’s struggled without Milton.

Digging into the 6-4 record a little but looks like he just needs some help with defense. We have a few guys who can help with that.

I wonder if Danny White has leaked certain info to people in the inner circle then seeing where it ends up.

Reactions: Wezcoast
Just shows you no one knows anything and they can't stand it. So the throw Sh*t against the wall and hope it sticks.

DW holds his cards close to the vest.

In Year 2, his 10-3 recorded was padded by wins against teams that were a combined 66-64. Most of those wins were against FA&M and Florida Atlantic (20-5 combined) who UCF outright out-talented. The 3 losses were to a 4-8 Tulsa, 11-3 Cinci and 8-5 Pitt.

In Year 3, he dropped to 6-4. Wins were against teams that combined for 16-38 record. Losses were to 6-3 Tulsa, 8-3 Memphis, 9-1 Cinci and 11-1 BYU.

Frost built UCF and Heupel inherited it. Sounds a *LOT* like Brian Kelly at Cinci and Butch Jones. Frost has struggled mightily at Nebraska, so even Frost wasn't a sure-fire success. Since Heupel has steadily gotten worse in year 2 and year 3, it's hard to feel optimistic about his ability to inherit a (comparable to schedule) a less talented team and yearly matches against 3 of the best football programs every year.

Heupel would peak around 7-5 or 8-4 at UT, and our recruiting would fall into the low 30s or higher.

If it's Heupel it's a travesty to Tennessee football. My God if you wanna go get one of your boys get Leipold instead. At least that guys a proven winner. Heupel makes me enter the fan transfer portal and I guess I'll be a fan of Iowa State, Navy, and Coastal Carolina for now.

VN Store

Back