Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Enough is Enough. Hire Dawn Staley.

Period. We’re supposed to be the best program in the damn country and we haven’t in a long time. Zero reason South Carolina can have an elite coach over us. Pay the woman, bring her here and restore the Lady Vols to their glory.

Period. We’re supposed to be the best program in the damn country and we haven’t in a long time. Zero reason South Carolina can have an elite coach over us. Pay the woman, bring her here and restore the Lady Vols to their glory.
Dawn isn’t going to leave SC

and Dawn makes $3M i believe Huge assumption that our athletic department wants to put that kind of heat and light on Lady Vol program

Reactions: Voltopia
Walz is the best person for the job. Said this last time. Tennessee is not for everyone. WE are a different animal. And it takes a different animal to be successful.
This is the best post I’ve heard in a while. I said in another post he would win a championship with in 3 years here

Reactions: VolNash17

Dawa isn't leaving what she buitl there.
Geno doesn't have many more years left
Tara not leaving Standford till retirement
Kim LSU tigers don't know for sure didn't Kim play there or is from Louisiana.
If Tennessee doesn't make NCAA tournament and Kellie gets her Buyout
Don't see any of those four on rocky top Tennessee coaching staff

I usually wouldn't make a comment in a Vol post, but I see these former Vol coaches trying too hard and under so much pressure because they are alumni. I would think an outside of the program hire would be better. Geno wasn't a Husky and Dawn wasn't a Gamecock. Waltz didn't play at Louisville and Mulkey didn't play at Baylor or LSU VanDerveer didn't play at Stanford. I am starting to see a pattern here.....

I usually wouldn't make a comment in a Vol post, but I see these former Vol coaches trying too hard and under so much pressure because they are alumni. I would think an outside of the program hire would be better. Geno wasn't a Husky and Dawn wasn't a Gamecock. Waltz didn't play at Louisville and Mulkey didn't play at Baylor or LSU VanDerveer didn't play at Stanford. I am starting to see a pattern here.....
Its not about where you played/coached,,,its about the coaching/player mix
That team played uninspired basketball yesterday, from a point on
I am going to rewatch the game today and chart it as a scout,,,And scout it as if I was scouting the LV's
when did it go wrong?
Can I see a lack of emergency? If so, where?
Did Ala see something they could exploit?

I'm gonna pick this game apart

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Godspeed mudcat...

jack-sparrow-i-will-go-down-with-this-ship.gif
SOS @Darth_Vol
How are you doing

Process of Elimination.

Geno is never coming to coach at Tennessee
Tara Van DeVeer never going to coach at Tennessee
Kim Mulkey played at Louisiana Tech and LSU is where she wants to be.

Dawn Staley isn't going to coach at Tennessee..

IF Kellie is fired the new coach probably will be an overachiever at Mid Major level.

Get your popcorn ready, I'm not a Kellie backer but remember what you wish for.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Process of Elimination.

Geno is never coming to coach at Tennessee
Tara Van DeVeer never going to coach at Tennessee
Kim Mulkey played at Louisiana Tech and LSU is where she wants to be.

Dawn Staley isn't going to coach at Tennessee..

IF Kellie is fired the new coach probably will be an overachiever at Mid Major level.

Get your popcorn ready, I'm not a Kellie backer but remember what you wish for.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side.
It's greener,,,but it still has to be mowed

Reactions: tbwhhs and Cb153181
In Kellie's coaching tenure here so far has she had a player on the court that will hold teammates accountable?

Two things I'd like to avoid at all costs if possible with a new coach - no former Lady Vol and no mid major.

I like both Kenny Brooks and Sam Purcell, both at major but slightly less high profile programs. I don't think Danny would feel bound by the former LV thing at all, and think a male coach may go over esp if it's a male of color like Kenny. Or a man of energy like Sam.

I'm going to agree with something I've pushed back on for a long time: there's a real lack of energy among the coaching staff that carries over to the team. I still say we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and also that I don't want crazy coach theatre. But some positive, interactive fire, the way Sam does it, would be nice. This staff just doesn't seem to be able to create a sense of urgency. Not panic, but urgency. I don't think it's lack of effort or caring on anyone's part, it's just the general vibe. It causes us to never get "hot".

BUBBLE BUBBLE BLAH BLAH BLAH…… Let’s get a head coach in here that will teach and demand fundamental basketball, runs an offense that has a repertoire of plays that favor individual and team strengths. Recruits and develops highly motivated athletes. Has in-game situational awareness to make adjustments AND CALL MOMENTUM CHANGING TIME OUTS. This person male or female is out there. Cut the anchor chain, pay the price, and make it happen. I’m sick of this bubble talk ….. WE ARE TENNESSEE FOR PETE’S SAKE.

BUBBLE BUBBLE BLAH BLAH BLAH…… Let’s get a head coach in here that will teach and demand fundamental basketball, runs an offense that has a repertoire of plays that favor individual and team strengths. Recruits and develops highly motivated athletes. Has in-game situational awareness to make adjustments AND CALL MOMENTUM CHANGING TIME OUTS. This person male or female is out there. Cut the anchor chain, pay the price, and make it happen. I’m sick of this bubble talk ….. WE ARE TENNESSEE FOR PETE’S SAKE.
such a coach would scare this staff to death
But the players would love it

Two things I'd like to avoid at all costs if possible with a new coach - no former Lady Vol and no mid major.

I like both Kenny Brooks and Sam Purcell, both at major but slightly less high profile programs. I don't think Danny would feel bound by the former LV thing at all, and think a male coach may go over esp if it's a male of color like Kenny. Or a man of energy like Sam.

I'm going to agree with something I've pushed back on for a long time: there's a real lack of energy among the coaching staff that carries over to the team. I still say we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and also that I don't want crazy coach theatre. But some positive, interactive fire, the way Sam does it, would be nice. This staff just doesn't seem to be able to create a sense of urgency. Not panic, but urgency. I don't think it's lack of effort or caring on anyone's part, it's just the general vibe. It causes us to never get "hot".
Some ppl like Coach Molly Miller to come in with her defense it would be interesting if her style would work in D1. Would love to have another good defensive team to come back to UT

I believe the Louisville Coach (Jeff Walz) has shown interest in being Tennessee's coach before Kellie was hired. He would be a phone call.
Walz is our Jon Gruden lol. Jeff Walz was the recruiter for Brenda Freese at Maryland when they tampered w Candace Parker after her recruitment by Pat. Since then, both have been enemy #1 to the old school LVs. Holding that grudge this long seems silly, but there are reportedly other ethical violations w Walz that have him permanently blacklisted here. BTW, I think I read yesterday that Freese is in recruiting trouble again.

Last time there was a hire, the phone call involving Walz was the one he made to his agent to use his alleged interest in the LV job to get a raise. Good for him.

People on the "inside" have told us repeatedly that two people who will never coach here are Walz and Kara Lawson. LOL and obviously Geno.

Teri Moren is who I would go after. What she has done at Indiana in 10 years is incredible. Love the way she coaches and develops talent . Very energetic staff as well. Would be my first phone call.

All this talk of bringing in this person and that person because of what they have accomplished on the D1 collegiate level. Meanwhile, there is a coach in the lower collegiate level ranks, and dare I say large HS ranks, that knows how to get teams to run good solid offense and defensive schemes, knows and passes on real knowledge of the game and motivates players. Yet, they’ll never have an opportunity because of the perceived, and maybe rightfully so, perception that it wouldn’t work. I don’t know but CPS endorsed a HS coach to take over a losing program who took that program to 3 FFs. I believe it could be done here at UT but I don’t believe the fans have the patience.

VN Store

Back