Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Process of Elimination.

Geno is never coming to coach at Tennessee
Tara Van DeVeer never going to coach at Tennessee
Kim Mulkey played at Louisiana Tech and LSU is where she wants to be.

Dawn Staley isn't going to coach at Tennessee..

IF Kellie is fired the new coach probably will be an overachiever at Mid Major level.

Get your popcorn ready, I'm not a Kellie backer but remember what you wish for.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Look happened to football after Phil Farmer
Know Kellie not won national championship
But it could worst.
It's a wait and see if Josh Heaupel can win one.
Phil Farmer has won one National championship game
Westbrook didn't find a championship in UConn

Last edited:
Look happened to football after Phil Farmer
Know Kellie not won national championship
But it could worst.
It's a wait and see if Josh Heaupel can win one.
Phil Farmer has won one National championship game
Westbrook didn't find a championship in UConn
How can it be worse?
Baseball CWS
Softball WCWS
Football in year 2, #1 playoff ranking- Orange Bowl victory
Men’s Basketball- Top 5

Who’s not like the rest?

Walz is our Jon Gruden lol. Jeff Walz was the recruiter for Brenda Freese at Maryland when they tampered w Candace Parker after her recruitment by Pat. Since then, both have been enemy #1 to the old school LVs. Holding that grudge this long seems silly, but there are reportedly other ethical violations w Walz that have him permanently blacklisted here. BTW, I think I read yesterday that Freese is in recruiting trouble again.

Last time there was a hire, the phone call involving Walz was the one he made to his agent to use his alleged interest in the LV job to get a raise. Good for him.

People on the "inside" have told us repeatedly that two people who will never coach here are Walz and Kara Lawson. LOL and obviously Geno.
Great information, thanks for explaining.👍

How can it be worse?
Baseball CWS
Softball WCWS
Men’s Basketball- Top 5

Who’s not like the rest?
And for the missing one to be such a benchmark program is sad. That's why I think DW will be perfectly willing to make a bold move for a hire. Also just more years and distance from the old guard frees him up a bit. When/if it comes, I think it will be good.

All this talk of bringing in this person and that person because of what they have accomplished on the D1 collegiate level. Meanwhile, there is a coach in the lower collegiate level ranks, and dare I say large HS ranks, that knows how to get teams to run good solid offense and defensive schemes, knows and passes on real knowledge of the game and motivates players. Yet, they’ll never have an opportunity because of the perceived, and maybe rightfully so, perception that it wouldn’t work. I don’t know but CPS endorsed a HS coach to take over a losing program who took that program to 3 FFs. I believe it could be done here at UT but I don’t believe the fans have the patience.

I think this maybe where we really are with a HC. There seems to be some on here that still think the AD can call any coach in the country and offer them the job and they would come running. Most of us know this is fantasy. Agree, I think if you can coach you can successfully coach at any level with the right players to run your schemes.

Since AD White is not a TN legacy guy and believes in winning championships I believe he will look for the best coach he can get should the time come for a new coach and not be tied to any past player. Hope the $ are available to do that.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
How can it be worse?
Baseball CWS
Softball WCWS
Men’s Basketball- Top 5

Who’s not like the rest?
Volleyball future is bright as well.

If Basketball recruiting was at least Top 10 every year then Kellie's Job wouldn't be a topic of conversation.

Last edited:
How can it be worse?
Baseball CWS
Softball WCWS
Men’s Basketball- Top 5

Who’s not like the rest?
Kellie had Tennessee ranked#4
Kellie beat South Carolina once I think.
Josh Heaupel not beat Georgia yet.
Or has Josh Heaupel made it to Sec championship game like Kellie.
All non playoffs bowls are like Women's basketball non NCAA tournament just a place for players to get play more games and get more money for the University

Last edited:
Reactions: Raebo
Perfect example of bad recruiting.

Imari Berry shouldn't have been allowed to commit to Clemson.

Losing 4 or 5* players in state to other teams is totally unacceptable if you're a Lady Vols fan.

Plus don't start about football @mudcat1973 .

Butch Jones lost his job for this same reason losing Tee Higgins amongst other in- state talent.

Last edited:
Volleyball future is bright as well.

If Basketball recruiting was at least Top 10 every year then Kellie's Job wouldn't be a topic of conversation.
It would be if the team results were the same as today. I know NCSU rates her a one of their worse coaches in past few decades!

Been a bit since checking in but seems little has changed. If NIL isn't figured out then very little can change. It doesn't matter who is running the show. Most teenagers (and more importantly, their parents) care far more about money and fame than tradition, especially ones not in the portal after being jaded by a bad college experience. Which is why UT has more success in the portal. Those ladies have often been through more and place a value on trust and culture that they didn't have when they left high school. You seem to have a couple kids coming that have the maturity to appreciate tradition and community, so hopefully they pan out because they are few and far between and that is what you have to rely on if you don't come up with the money to buy the kids who value the dollar. If you don't solve the money issue and make the wrong move then you might lose out on both types of kids.

It’s a long shot but I’d try for Lindsay Gottlieb at USC. Maybe she could bring Juju with her lol. But even if not, she’s a very good coach. Took Cal to the Final Four before leaving for a job in the NBA.
The coaches that keep getting mentioned have no incentive to come to UT. They are getting paid more and have a much bigger NIL pool to recruit from so why would they leave? Take Gottlieb, she has a Brinks truck parked next to the school, is in the glitz and glamour of SoCal, and has people like Will Farrell and Kevin Hart showing up and taking pictures with players every game. She's not going anywhere. If by some miracle she did leave then where is the money to bring Watkins and Smith with her? They'll be getting nearly a $1m combined. Same with Cori Close, although the draw and the NIL money for her best players are less. Dawn Staley and Kim Mulkey are both making top flight money and have professional NIL backing with major funding. Again, what's the draw for them. A massive challenge, tougher recruiting and less pay?

Coaching style is subjective, so feel free to discuss that all you want. But UT is in the bottom half of the conference in NIL but somehow stays in the top half of the standings. Someone is doing something right considering the uneven recruiting playing field.

The Subaru crowd will revolt if Danny White tries to hire a male coach. I hope he’s prepared for that fight.
This is what happened last time. Walz to Tennessee was done if Tennessee wanted him. Fulmer did. But as you say "Subaru" or whatever term you would like to call them, got involved. We must move on. Let me be very clear, there is only one Pat. Just like there will be only one Geno or Tara. I just don't understand why everyone does not want what's best for our program.

i think he makes north of 2 million how is he gonna come here given that price point
Because its Tennessee. Now we do not look that we are "Tennessee" right now, but guys like Walz have a huge ego and relish in the fact of returning something to its glory. Not many coaches like this. But he is one of them. He has a edge and would have come here for less. I have said this before. I am not guessing or speculating on this either.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Walz is our Jon Gruden lol. Jeff Walz was the recruiter for Brenda Freese at Maryland when they tampered w Candace Parker after her recruitment by Pat. Since then, both have been enemy #1 to the old school LVs. Holding that grudge this long seems silly, but there are reportedly other ethical violations w Walz that have him permanently blacklisted here. BTW, I think I read yesterday that Freese is in recruiting trouble again.

Last time there was a hire, the phone call involving Walz was the one he made to his agent to use his alleged interest in the LV job to get a raise. Good for him.

People on the "inside" have told us repeatedly that two people who will never coach here are Walz and Kara Lawson. LOL and obviously Geno.
While Walz wins and we lose. This is up there with the most insane logic I have ever heard. Pure stupidity and Yes I am saying that if you follow this line of thinking you are a failure in life, or holding many back. Guarantee it.

Sorry double post..
Football is mostly for @Majors who seems Want her gone as much as anyone on here.
Not look a whole lot but have seen posts in Men's basketball complaint like Majors and in the football threads.
Football does get enough commits in it's threads
Majors and the other needs to wait till the season over I'm sure Danny White Got a list ready if they don't make NCAA tournament and he and University administration desires to make a chance.
Seems to me like Majors thinks if he misses a Kellie commit and he doesn't tell had bad Kellie is as a coach might luck out and get a another year.

Majors always talks like a grown up to me
Not starting a childish name calling match.
Like jack said on heartland it's hard throw mud and kept ones owns hand clean

Its not about where you played/coached,,,its about the coaching/player mix
That team played uninspired basketball yesterday, from a point on
I am going to rewatch the game today and chart it as a scout,,,And scout it as if I was scouting the LV's
when did it go wrong?
Can I see a lack of emergency? If so, where?
Did Ala see something they could exploit?

I'm gonna pick this game apart
Ok...let me put it another way. Kelley is an alum, and she is coaching players that are playing in the Tennessee program. That could mean she will be loyal to a fault to those players and not push them as hard or be hard on them because they are playing for the very school she played for. That may not be the case, but two former Tennessee players that were named coach haven't been successful. Heck even Summitt played at Tennessee-Martin, not for the Vols. I have seen more failure than success with these coaches who go home to coach. Just something to think about. Kelley and Holly would seem like a no-lose hire and yet neither has been able to move the needle. Tennessee is too steeped in WBB history for this to be happening.

Kellie had Tennessee ranked#4
Kellie beat South Carolina once I think.
Josh Heaupel not beat Georgia yet.
Or has Josh Heaupel made it to Sec championship game like Kellie.
All non playoffs bowls are like Women's basketball non NCAA tournament just a place for players to get play more games and get more money for the University
Good grief, don't even put Coach Heupel's name in the same conservation as Kellie Harper! (BTW, Heupel had the Vols #1 rated in the country )

Are you actually trying to say Kellie is a good coach??

Reactions: Deebowbear
Enough is Enough. Hire Dawn Staley.

Period. We’re supposed to be the best program in the damn country and we haven’t in a long time. Zero reason South Carolina can have an elite coach over us. Pay the woman, bring her here and restore the Lady Vols to their glory.
Dawn is not coming to Tenn. She has everything she wants in SC.

All this talk of bringing in this person and that person because of what they have accomplished on the D1 collegiate level. Meanwhile, there is a coach in the lower collegiate level ranks, and dare I say large HS ranks, that knows how to get teams to run good solid offense and defensive schemes, knows and passes on real knowledge of the game and motivates players. Yet, they’ll never have an opportunity because of the perceived, and maybe rightfully so, perception that it wouldn’t work. I don’t know but CPS endorsed a HS coach to take over a losing program who took that program to 3 FFs. I believe it could be done here at UT but I don’t believe the fans have the patience.
Coach at UTC. Watch him on ESPN.

Reactions: MaineMegaFan

VN Store

Back