Lakers/Vols Knecht-ion

I will be thrilled if Knecht becomes a dominant NBA player, but that is far from a given at this time. He will have at least a good foundational cast around him to get his journey started imo.

LeBron is not going to play forever, but he played 71 games last season and averaged 25/7/8. I think Knecht getting as much time as possible with an all-time great would only benefit him.
That’s kinda my point. He can be a complimentary piece with no pressure on him for 2 years, then take on a bigger role when LJ retires.

I can’t stand Lebron, but he would help make Knecht better

Agree. I detest everything about James, but the reality is that he couldn't have landed in a much better spot. He's got a coach in Redick who is pretty much exactly the prototype of what we would hope DK becomes as an NBA player and knows how to maximize shooters, an ideal DHO partner in Anthony Davis in what could be a lethal combination, and a player like James who will get him a ton of great looks.

There aren't many spots where he would be in a better position to contribute right out of the gate.

As a Spur fan, (though admittedly a lapsed one due to the 3-steps 3-point obsessed modern NBA), I'm in a dilly of a pickle. I want Dalton to drop maximum carnage on everyone who passed over him, but that very clearly includes the Spurs. Quite the dilemma. I know I'm going to root for him to kill them too, but man. As a Laker? Man. That's some hard stuff right there.

Yeah, if he couldn't have landed with the Sixers (I was stunned they even had a shot at him), it was San Antonio I was hoping for. Playing with a kid like Wemby, who will create more and more space for shooters as he grows as a player, and a coach like Popovich would have been the perfect spot for DK.

I dont think he could have went to a better team. he is probably very happy he was not a lottery pick. Having JJ as his coach is like best case scenario. Edey also got a sweet landing spot IMO.

Yeah, but it’s not a bad situation like Portland or Charlotte would have been. I never thought it was a sure thing he’d go top 15, much less 10. I said that in here as early as February. Too much happens up until draft day. Other than the top few picks, so much is fluid.
I was lambasted early on by saying Edey would go lottery and Knecht would not. By my count only 3 guys over 20 went in the lottery. Clingan, Carter and Edey. Knecht did not drop for any reason other than age its not because of his defense which is seen as his only other 'weakness'

GM's see him as a finished product super high floor not much ceiling. Even with Edey there is upside seen because he started playing basketball is freshman year of high school so lots of ceiling left. his shooting at the combine got him in the lottery. Clingan is 2 years younger. Carter dunno... it was a big run on point guards 6 of the first 16 picks I'm not sure I've ever seen that and a lot of trades. The Pick/trade of Dillingham at 8 is what set all the fireworks off.

ESPN for once appears to agree. The lakers got a steal and its a perfect match.

Last edited:
Reactions: sami and OrangeInKy
It's funny that they talk about age being a huge factor for him dropping so far when predicted to go #8.
Watch how many of these 18-19 y/o's are in the G-League in 3 years.
This is true there's not going to be many of 18-19 yr old players contributing very much for 2-3 yrs so D K gets dropped down b/c he's older.....Im glad he gets chance to play in NBA and has great career.....

Yep, imagine. Laimbeer would get in his way ONCE, then career over. I love Jordan but Lebron would have dominated in a more physical game. There is no one who has Lebron's size, speed and skills combined. Knocking around 6 foot 6 215lb Jordan is one thing but 6 foot 8 260 is a different beast all together.
Lebron wouldn’t have gone inside the 3 pt Line against the Bad Boys.

This is true there's not going to be many of 18-19 yr old players contributing very much for 2-3 yrs so D K gets dropped down b/c he's older.....Im glad he gets chance to play in NBA and has great career.....
Thing is normally the teams picking in the lottery are there because they suck. So those teams are looking for hope. It's the teams in that 15-30 range that are more interested in high-floor guys that can contribute now.

I was lambasted early on by saying Edey would go lottery and Knecht would not. By my count only 3 guys over 20 went in the lottery. Clingan, Carter and Edey. Knecht did not drop for any reason other than age its not because of his defense which is seen as his only other 'weakness'

GM's see him as a finished product super high floor not much ceiling. Even with Edey there is upside seen because he started playing basketball is freshman year of high school so lots of ceiling left. his shooting at the combine got him in the lottery. Clingan is 2 years younger. Carter dunno... it was a big run on point guards 6 of the first 16 picks I'm not sure I've ever seen that and a lot of trades. The Pick/trade of Dillingham at 8 is what set all the fireworks off.

Great post.

Reactions: pimo1
I dont think he could have went to a better team. he is probably very happy he was not a lottery pick. Having JJ as his coach is like best case scenario. Edey also got a sweet landing spot IMO.

My guess is losing about $15-16 million is a pretty good reason not to be happy about dropping as far as he did, as there are no guarantees that he'll make it to that second contract. But he did land in a spot that he figures to play a lot in a scheme that will maximize his strengths, so if you're going to fall, at least it wasn't to a black hole like Portland or Detroit.

Give yourself a cookie. Maybe you can get a job as a national pre draft analyst as the majority seemed to have DK as a lottery pick.

Agree. I detest everything about James, but the reality is that he couldn't have landed in a much better spot. He's got a coach in Redick who is pretty much exactly the prototype of what we would hope DK becomes as an NBA player and knows how to maximize shooters, an ideal DHO partner in Anthony Davis in what could be a lethal combination, and a player like James who will get him a ton of great looks.

There aren't many spots where he would be in a better position to contribute right out of the gate.
Yeah no don’t compare JJ to Dalton two totally different players…

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
My guess is losing about $15-16 million is a pretty good reason not to be happy about dropping as far as he did, as there are no guarantees that he'll make it to that second contract. But he did land in a spot that he figures to play a lot in a scheme that will maximize his strengths, so if you're going to fall, at least it wasn't to a black hole like Portland or Detroit.
The highest guess I saw published was 8th which would have been a guaranteed $15.9 over 3 years compared to the $9.7 he’s getting. I’d certainly be sad over missing out on $6.2 million but that’s a whole lot less than $15-16 million.

Give yourself a cookie. Maybe you can get a job as a national pre draft analyst as the majority seemed to have DK as a lottery pick.
And from what I’ve seen, most draft pundits are giving the Lakers an A+ and the Grizzlies a D. Edey was lucky that the Grizz couldn’t trade down to get Clingen and they are desperate to get something resembling a center to fill the hole that Steven Adams left. That’s the only reason Edey went in the top 10.

Not sure why DK dropped other than age (which is ridiculous by the way). I’d much rather have him than these skinny European teenagers but that’s just me. Overjoyed that he didn’t end up in a graveyard like Charlotte or Detroit and I believe he is in a perfect spot with the Lakers.

If he'd gone at 6, 32 million, where he went, 16 I believe.
Oh wow, even worse. Basilio mentioned 8 million before Hanks came on. If it were at a place like Charlotte, it wouldn’t be as bad. Cost of living, taxes, etc in LA will make the loss more significant. Of course, as we know, it only takes a couple of years of high production to get paid big on the next contract. Maybe he can get one of those Tobias Harris deals.

And from what I’ve seen, most draft pundits are giving the Lakers an A+ and the Grizzlies a D. Edey was lucky that the Grizz couldn’t trade down to get Clingen and they are desperate to get something resembling a center to fill the hole that Steven Adams left. That’s the only reason Edey went in the top 10.

Not sure why DK dropped other than age (which is ridiculous by the way). I’d much rather have him than these skinny European teenagers but that’s just me. Overjoyed that he didn’t end up in a graveyard like Charlotte or Detroit and I believe he is in a perfect spot with the Lakers.
The Europeans will likely be fine. They know how to play basketball at a fundamental level. The true fliers are the one and done players. Some will be successful, most will not. That's why the argument that todays NBA has so much better athletes and that means they are better overall, falls flat. Steph, Jokic and Luka aren't great athletes, they are great fundamental basketball players. You go back to Michael Jordan, he was one of the top 3 athletes to ever play in the NBA, but was also a fundamentally sound monster with a mentality and drive that was unmatched.

I have hated the Lakers my entire life. I am Celtic green as it can get. Love the Bird vs. Magic Finals with all the supporting casts members in Chief, McHale, DJ, Ainge, cornbread and Carr plus Walton. I loved watching Cooper, Worthy, Kareem, Rambuss (sp.) lose to Boston.

With that said, I will buy my daughter (10 y.o,) the first Knecht Lakers jersey I can find. I will be glad when the great loser, whiner, wanna be activist of all time retires. Jordan is the greatest. Period. Bird, Kobe, Magic, Dr. J are all right there ahead of Leroy Jones. I hope DK becomes the greatest Laker of all time. He should be a perfect fit and we all know he will work his rear end off doing whatever it takes. The kid has game and HEART!

Reactions: TJSVOLS and JCP201
Oh wow, even worse. Basilio mentioned 8 million before Hanks came on. If it were at a place like Charlotte, it wouldn’t be as bad. Cost of living, taxes, etc in LA will make the loss more significant. Of course, as we know, it only takes a couple of years of high production to get paid big on the next contract. Maybe he can get one of those Tobias Harris deals.

My numbers were a little off, I think it was 34.1 for the #6 pick and 18.5 for DK but that's on the 4-year team option section. The first two years are guaranteed, that's where the 8 million dollar figure comes in. it's like 15.7 for #6 and 7.9 for DK. I would hope he can get the 4 years in and then get to the second contract. He'll probably net around 2 million per year after taxes and expenses.

VN Store

Back