Lakers/Vols Knecht-ion

Also, second round picks are not guaranteed money. You don't have to guarantee their salary and they can also be two way players. So, they're a way to take a gamble on a player while still keeping financial flexibility.

I'm a Lakers fan, but I gotta say....I am REALLY enjoying watching the Spurs and Thunder do their rebuild. I think the Thunder are going to run the league for years to come. Was honestly hoping Knecht would end up on one of those two teams. Happy to see him a Laker though.

True. And I agree, those would have both been good for him. I selfishly wanted to see him on San Antonio, just so I'd have a reason to make more effort to watch them (and also I figure Popovich and Friends could really elevate Dalton's value), but aside from the taxes the Lakers situation seems pretty solid for Knecht too. He's never going to be the first option, and likely will get some open looks he wouldn't get elsewhere. And an open Knecht is a scoring Knecht, so. Should be fun to see how he does there.

I picked up several Lakers friends during my time in LA, and we had a friendly sort of SA/LA watch thing back in the day ... and now I'm already getting harassed about Lakers shirts for Dalton. Sigh. Funny, but sigh.

Reactions: VolNExile
True. And I agree, those would have both been good for him. I selfishly wanted to see him on San Antonio, just so I'd have a reason to make more effort to watch them (and also I figure Popovich and Friends could really elevate Dalton's value), but aside from the taxes the Lakers situation seems pretty solid for Knecht too. He's never going to be the first option, and likely will get some open looks he wouldn't get elsewhere. And an open Knecht is a scoring Knecht, so. Should be fun to see how he does there.

I picked up several Lakers friends during my time in LA, and we had a friendly sort of SA/LA watch thing back in the day ... and now I'm already getting harassed about Lakers shirts for Dalton. Sigh. Funny, but sigh.
You can't help but wonder if Bronny is going to be taking minutes away from him? With a first year coach, who can be pushed around by the team's influential star? There is potential for that to become a toxic environment just waiting to explode.

IF Bronny gets any playing time, it will be at PG.
If he gets any playing time outside of the G League, we’ll know who the real head coach is. Of course, Reddick got the job because Lebron picked him so I guess we already know who that is. Bronny getting picked at all is a joke and everyone knows it.

If he gets any playing time outside of the G League, we’ll know who the real head coach is. Of course, Reddick got the job because Lebron picked him so I guess we already know who that is. Bronny getting picked at all is a joke and everyone knows it.
Don't think anyone is denying that. Just saying PG IF Bronny plays will be the position.

The sad thing to me is that this sham took a spot from somebody like Armando Bacot or PJ Hall who are far better players. But as always it’s about who you know. Or in this case who your daddy is.
Yea I believe P.J. should have been drafted somewhere in top 58. Problem is teams draft and stash these overseas players in 2nd round or even late in 1st round.

Reactions: Lankykong

I think it's a nice story that a father gets to play with his son. But it's so manufactured. Maybe Bronny works into a solid NBA player, I don't know but it's hard to take any of this really seriously other than it will be a cool moment if they ever get on the court at the same time.

Some of the ESPN social media hype aside, I think the vast majority knows this is exactly what it looks like.

Bronny will play some minutes early in the season so that history can be made. But I don't anticipate him being a major player and I don't think he will play well enough to justify increased minutes. At some point, he will likely be a G league player.

Per Yardbarker, the Lakers could trade Reaves in a package to the Hawks for Trae Young or Dejounte Murray with the selection of Knecht.
1 Why would they trade Reeves? 2 It would take a lot more than Reeves to get Murray Something like Dee-lo and Rui to make salaries match (but I do think they have a trade exception that could make up for the difference in salaries. plus some first rounders. 3 The Lakers don't realistically have anything to trade for Young....they'd have to dump all available draft picks and a bunch of salary like Reeves, Russel and Rui. the lakers wouldn't give that up and the Hawks wouldn't take it.

A starting 5 of AD, Lebron, Reeves, Russel and Rui with Knecht as the first wing off the bench would be tasty. Reeves and Knecht are not really similar players Reeves is more of a 2/1, and Knecht is an NBA 3/2 there is some overlap but Knecht is more of a shooter Reeves is a more well-rounded do-everything guy. He is kinda like JJJ for the Lakers. I know people want to see the similarities between East Side Knecht and Lemon Daddy but they are very different players. Knecht is bigger than Reeves and more vertical but Reeves seems more twitchy reeves can guard 1-3 Knecht not so much.

Last edited:
You can't help but wonder if Bronny is going to be taking minutes away from him? With a first year coach, who can be pushed around by the team's influential star? There is potential for that to become a toxic environment just waiting to explode.
I was shocked to hear they picked him up. Hasn't he had two heart attacks on the court? What a liability.

Imagine Lebum driving down the lane on the 95 Pistons. 😂😂😂

Huh?

People that think Lebron is soft are casuals. Bro sells fouls but he's the fkn ironman. He gets fouled hard all the time and for 21 years has almost always returned to the game. I think just once, he didn't. The 90s, they let a little more go, but there are still hard fouls from players who are bigger, faster, and stronger.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashVol11
Not trying to be rude, but how old are you? Jordan is the GOAT. Ain't even close.

Jordan is the GOAT if the GOAT is the guy who dominated his era the most.

Lebron is the GOAT if it's entire body of work (abd he's not done).

Knecht 4 (I'm sure theLakers marketing team insisted he take that number).

Pelinka said everybody in their scouting department had Knecht as top 10 value. FWIW, the Lakers scouting department is especially known for finding the gems from the college ranks. Reaves, Hart, and Kuzma for example.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
1 Why would they trade Reeves? 2 It would take a lot more than Reeves to get Murray Something like Dee-lo and Rui to make salaries match (but I do think they have a trade exception that could make up for the difference in salaries. plus some first rounders. 3 The Lakers don't realistically have anything to trade for Young....they'd have to dump all available draft picks and a bunch of salary like Reeves, Russel and Rui. the lakers wouldn't give that up and the Hawks wouldn't take it.

A starting 5 of AD, Lebron, Reeves, Russel and Rui with Knecht as the first wing off the bench would be tasty. Reeves and Knecht are not really similar players Reeves is more of a 2/1, and Knecht is an NBA 3/2 there is some overlap but Knecht is more of a shooter Reeves is a more well-rounded do-everything guy. He is kinda like JJJ for the Lakers. I know people want to see the similarities between East Side Knecht and Lemon Daddy but they are very different players. Knecht is bigger than Reeves and more vertical but Reeves seems more twitchy reeves can guard 1-3 Knecht not so much.
Knecht coming off the bench would be a travesty regardless of the minutes he gets…guy is a nba starter

VN Store

Back