Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Like I said I don't know the time frame. It is clearly obvious that it wasn't soon enough though. The man at the top is charged with getting it right. No ifs ands or buts. I wonder what would have happened if FDR had said this Japanese thing will go away. We have It totally under control.

Not soon enough based on?

Birx and Fauci say as soon as they recommended it was implemented.

No hospital system was overwhelmed to the point that any patient was denied access to beds, intensive care or ventilators. (the entire point of flattening the curve).

What is the criteria for saying it obviously wasn't soon enough?

Seriously? In your experience how often do people bother to say a thing after they’ve “invalidated” it with their “initial conclusion?”

If the goal is to overwhelm me with sheer quantity of ********, it doesn’t work, but it’s an impressive effort, nonetheless.

simple question - do you think the majority of protestors were part of some Trump driven - culture war and thus dimwitted for participating or the majority had legitimate reasons for protesting?

I have been thinking about this. The last major pandemic happened 100 years ago with the Spanish Flu. Scientists have speculated that the Spanish Flu was a special mutation of the flu that attacked the body in such a dangerous way. Do we take a Spanish Flu vaccine today? The Swine Flu was another special mutation of the flu that wasn’t as dangerous as the Spanish Flu but still dangerous. Do we have a Swine Flu vaccine? All dangerous pandemic mutations of the flu and other viruses have died off. Corona Viruses have been around for years and this specific mutation will die off.

Will we have a CoronaVirus shot every year like the flu shot even though this specific strand will more than likely die off?

Yep, lots of questions here. This all seems like a manufactured panic. Maybe hospitalization rates really are high. Maybe death rates are 1-2%. Maybe every positive case is truly a corona death and not anything else.

I don’t know because there is so much drama, panic, and agendas behind every statistic. It seems pretty clear that if you are young and healthy you will be fine. I’d you are old and/or sick, you are at risk. So why the F do we have a blanket closure of everything non-essential? The more healthy people that get it now, the better. At risk needs to quarantine. Get back to work. End of story.

Common sense...

That’s what I’m thinking. Even if you develop a vaccine for this specific strand of CoronaVirus who’s to say that there won’t be a CoronaVirus virus strand in 10 years that won’t be the same and be just as deadly.

And also a vaccine will more than likely take 12 or so months to develop.

More than likely this thing will run its course before a vaccine is developed. The best thing would be to then let it run its course and minimize its impact with the least amount of disruption.

Yep, lots of questions here. This all seems like a manufactured panic. Maybe hospitaliza

you are at risk. So why the F do we have a blanket closure of everything non-essential? The more healthy people that get it now, the better. At risk needs to quarantine. Get back to work. End of story.

This. This is the defense shield

simple question - do you think the majority of protestors were part of some Trump driven - culture war and thus dimwitted for participating or the majority had legitimate reasons for protesting?
I have no idea, I wasn’t there, which is why I discussed the various identifiable component parts of the rally/protest in different paragraphs.

Yep, lots of questions here. This all seems like a manufactured panic. Maybe hospitalization rates really are high. Maybe death rates are 1-2%. Maybe every positive case is truly a corona death and not anything else.

I don’t know because there is so much drama, panic, and agendas behind every statistic. It seems pretty clear that if you are young and healthy you will be fine. I’d you are old and/or sick, you are at risk. So why the F do we have a blanket closure of everything non-essential? The more healthy people that get it now, the better. At risk needs to quarantine. Get back to work. End of story.
Did you see the report of the sailors on the destroyer who are tested positive but show no symptoms? It was posted earlier. Seems to validate our thoughts on this virus and young, healthy people's risk.

Only changes the representation that was staked on your credibility.... nbd.

It changes neither my credibility or representation; I watch half a dozen videos and see no Confederate flags in a sea of U.S. flags, and one swastika sign that is clearly equating Whitmer with Hitler, not extolling Hitler.

The misrepresentation and lack of credibility rests entirely on the governor.

to my knowledge that is correct. I'm open to correction
I honestly don't know either. I just remember a lot of chirping about not enough beds, supplies, etc. They even got that hospital ship there asap. Maybe I got the panic confused with an actual shortfall of resources and overwhelming of facilities.

Like I said I don't know the time frame. It is clearly obvious that it wasn't soon enough though. The man at the top is charged with getting it right. No ifs ands or buts. I wonder what would have happened if FDR had said this Japanese thing will go away. We have It totally under control.
You mean the guy who believed some economic sanctions would fix the whole Japan thing right before they attacked Pearl Harbor? Great example.

I honestly don't know either. I just remember a lot of chirping about not enough beds, supplies, etc. They even got that hospital ship there asap. Maybe I got the panic confused with an actual shortfall of resources and overwhelming of facilities.

The concern about not enough was based on projections of peak demand which turned out to be well over estimated. The expected demand never materialized.

As I understand the point of mitigation (flattening the curve) was to avoid overloading the HC system resulting in "preventable" Covid deaths due to lack of resources. The number of infections isn't change in total; just stretched over a longer period of time. This is why the "it should have been done earlier" argument is weak since it was done in enough time to achieve the goal.

Then Bham's assertion of timing of precautionary measures from the administration and the lack of overtaxing health care services means the response was good. May not have been perfect but it accomplished the desired results.

So far as I can tell the biggest weakness in overall response is delay in testing infrastructure but that will take a deep dive. Early indications are that CDC thought they had it under control when in fact they did not. Still, given the current state of testing compared to a couple months ago the response has been good.

A thorough, non-partisan review is needed to figure out how to avoid the sledge hammer of mitigation in future situations.

The concern about not enough was based on projections of peak demand which turned out to be well over estimated. The expected demand never materialized.

As I understand the point of mitigation (flattening the curve) was to avoid overloading the HC system resulting in "preventable" Covid deaths due to lack of resources. The number of infections isn't change in total; just stretched over a longer period of time. This is why the "it should have been done earlier" argument is weak since it was done in enough time to achieve the goal.
Correct. The goal was to not to stop the unstoppable be slow down the rate so there wasn't a run on health care services like there was on toilet paper. Even the most ardent critic would have to concede, at this point, the timing was adequate.

Then Bham's assertion of timing of precautionary measures from the administration and the lack of overtaxing health care services means the response was good. May not have been perfect but it accomplished the desired results.

Also, I believe Fauci and Birx were stating maybe 150k to 220k deaths even with the mitigation efforts. We are well on the way to smashing that, on the good side.

But I always felt numbers were overstated for political reasons, by all sides. You have to.

So far as I can tell the biggest weakness in overall response is delay in testing infrastructure but that will take a deep dive. Early indications are that CDC thought they had it under control when in fact they did not. Still, given the current state of testing compared to a couple months ago the response has been good.

A thorough, non-partisan review is needed to figure out how to avoid the sledge hammer of mitigation in future situations.

Pipe dream.

Also, I believe Fauci and Birx were stating maybe 150k to 220k deaths even with the mitigation efforts. We are well on the way to smashing that, on the good side.

But I always felt numbers were overstated for political reasons, by all sides. You have to.
SOP for medical personnel to give worst case scenarios. I think it is intentional.

May not have been political. Possible to simply be default programming.

SOP for medical personnel to give worst case scenarios. I think it is intentional.

May not have been political. Possible to simply be default programming.

Maybe. I just believe as a politician you were committing suicide if you can in over any number you stated.

VN Store

Back