Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

This is the kind of crap we’re dealing with. This is the quote in the article from the city manager...

He added: “Still, it's kind of sobering that 30 percent of a random group of 200 people that are showing no symptoms are, in fact, infected. It's all the more reason for everyone to be practicing physical distancing."

He’s an idiot. This is an antibody blood test. These people aren’t “infected.” They WERE infected already and in reality should be allowed to go about their normal lives.

Most people will get the antibody test because it's a quick nasal swabs. Are you telling me the test is only for past tense "infected" and if you currently have Coronavirus the test will come back negative and it'll look like you don't have Coronavirus? Seems like an partially ineffective test to me.

There is an erroneous Google Business listing for a tire store in my area that has my business phone number... seems people are having more tire trouble during the pandemic or maybe nothing better to do. But those calls have been more frequent lately. Maybe I should start selling tires.
Nothing like a smooth ride on a new set of tires. I have factory Continentals on my ride now but I am a believer in Michelins

Reactions: RavinDave
This is from a CNN article.

The N95 masks are critical in preventing healthcare workers from acquiring the coronavirus because they block at least 95% of particulates in the air—like the novel coronavirus—according to the FDA. Many hospitals across the US are scrambling to get more masks for their workers during the global pandemic.

I thought that the mask wouldn't help you keep from getting the virus.

10 coronavirus-unit nurses are suspended, potentially for weeks, for refusing to work without N95 masks - CNN

These terrible hospital leadership in these liberal states mixed with liberal nursing millennials have caused this ridiculous drama

According to the TN state published data, my county has had somewhere around 140 ish positive tests around 134 ish recoveries and 3 deaths. I'm taking this from memory but it's really close to the actual numbers. If I'm not mistaken that means 3 people are either in the hospital or at home recovering. The diagnosed tests are not increasing so why in the hell are we still quarantined? I drove by the hospital a couple of times in the last week and the drive in testing site was empty with the people manning it sitting around talking.

Reactions: DC_Vol
These terrible hospital leadership in these liberal states mixed with liberal nursing millennials have caused this ridiculous drama

That sounds like some really bad admin polices . On the plus side , they are suspended with pay . Nurses in Cali making that daddy war bucks money too .

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Most people will get the antibody test because it's a quick nasal swabs. Are you telling me the test is only for past tense "infected" and if you currently have Coronavirus the test will come back negative and it'll look like you don't have Coronavirus? Seems like an partially ineffective test to me.

Nasal swab is for active infection. Blood antibody test is for evidence of antibodies already made by the body through past infection

According to the TN state published data, my county has had somewhere around 140 ish positive tests around 134 ish recoveries and 3 deaths. I'm taking this from memory but it's really close to the actual numbers. If I'm not mistaken that means 3 people are either in the hospital or at home recovering. The diagnosed tests are not increasing so why in the hell are we still quarantined? I drove by the hospital a couple of times in the last week and the drive in testing site was empty with the people manning it sitting around talking.

Most of the actions thus far have been driven out of faulty models, panic, and hysteria. Facts are missing from the equation.

Nothing like a smooth ride on a new set of tires. I have factory Continentals on my ride now but I am a believer in Michelins
Reminds me of a story from my college days. I was a co-op for 3 years with BFGoodrich Chemical and was also tutoring a coed who had a room in a big house on Kingston Pike owned by a Chinaman who taught architecture at UT. That prof had a funky little Chinese car with tiny tires and he could not find any tires that size. But I was able to get him a new set from BFG with 15% off.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Most of the actions thus far have been driven out of faulty models, panic, and hysteria. Facts are missing from the equation.
If there is one thing that comes from this is I hope we sever most of our ties with China and bring back necessary production to the US. Yeah we can buy un-necessary junk from China, but electronics, drugs, chemicals and the things that we need to defend ourselves and provide for our health need to be made in America or by a close ally.

If there is one thing that comes from this is I hope we sever most of our ties with China and bring back necessary production to the US. Yeah we can buy un-necessary junk from China, but electronics, drugs, chemicals and the things that we need to defend ourselves and provide for our health need to be made in America or by a close ally.

There are a lot of companies who would be willing to do this. The question remains whether consumers are willing to stomach 2-3x price hikes. If they aren’t, production will remain where it is.

There are a lot of companies who would be willing to do this. The question remains whether consumers are willing to stomach 2-3x price hikes. If they aren’t, production will remain where it is.

It's the very companies who have manufactured these things historically that have moved production to China. It's not all about consumers willing to pay 3 x the price, It's if the big companies are willing to pay the increasing minimum wages, not to mention skilled wages, while also taking profit losses to manufacture an affordable product.

If they do move production back here, it will still be to a large degree, Chinese-made automation that will cut the US worker out of the equation.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
Where do you come up with these numbers like 2-3x? American manufacturing for the most part is automated to max. Where the Chinese need 1,000 people to make 10,000 widgets by hand, Americans can make 10,000 widgets with 100 people.
When you have more Americans making more money you also have more consumers with more money to spend. This globalization crap was a quick money grab and now it has run out of money. It's time to bring the money and production home.

Where do you come up with these numbers like 2-3x? American manufacturing for the most part is automated to max. Where the Chinese need 1,000 people to make 10,000 widgets by hand, Americans can make 10,000 widgets with 100 people.
When you have more Americans making more money you also have more consumers with more money to spend. This globalization crap was a quick money grab and now it has run out of money. It's time to bring the money and production home.

I say that because over my career I’ve seen the sourcing and manufacturing decisions shift to China and saw the differences in margin.

If it weren’t cheaper then a lot of production would have stayed in the US to reduce risk, inventory, and political backlash.

People think China is all about the sweat shop; China has great automation AND cheap labor. It’s not as cheap as it used to be but their manufacturing capabilities have improved to offset a lot of the difference.

Try being a first mover back to the US and you’ll see why retail price will be 2-3 times more, especially if you’re selling through a wholesale network.

I’m not saying it cannot be done or won’t be done. I’m just saying there is a price that will be paid by the consumer.

Reactions: NashVol11

So, we can make more, and more efficiently through automation, yet American workers have more money to spend? So, everyone becomes a mechanic/technician for the machines that replace them?

I think you are underestimating how Chinese factories are operating. Although some things are made by hand, they have been building the state of the art factories for some time, now, which rival anything we can build.

It's the very companies who have manufactured these things historically that have moved production to China. It's not all about consumers willing to pay 3 x the price, It's if the big companies are willing to pay the increasing minimum wages, not to mention skilled wages, while also taking profit losses to manufacture an affordable product.

If they do move production back here, it will still be to a large degree, Chinese-made automation that will cut the US worker out of the equation.

It’s going to cost more to manufacture here. Most US companies who manufacture in China do it via third party.

It might sound good in your head, but most companies aren’t going to sign up for lower margins. Consumers will bear the brunt of the difference.

It’s going to cost more to manufacture here. Most US companies who manufacture in China do it via third party.

It might sound good in your head, but most companies aren’t going to sign up for lower margins. Consumers will bear the brunt of the difference.

I guess you missed my point, altogether.

Homeland Security warns Terrorists could Strike grocery stores, hospitals, testing sites and gas stations to bring the stricken nation to its knees

Terrorists looking to sow fear and panic across the nation as it is weighed down by the coronavirus pandemic could strike gas stations, testing sites, supermarkets, and other areas, the federal government is warning.

Though such an attack is considered unlikely, authorities are nonetheless asking the general public to watch out for any suspicious activity.

The DHS's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency issued a nationwide notice saying 'it is imperative that law enforcement be alert for potential individuals triggered by the pandemic to inflict further harm, and [that agencies] provide residents with information that can augment community safety and security.'

DHS said that while 'there are currently no imminent or credible threats, there has been an increase in online hate speech intended to incite violence and/or use the ongoing situation as an excuse to inflict hate.'

The department warns that the 'potential threat environment' has changed as 'public gathering areas' during the coronavirus pandemic have come to include 'COVID-19 mobile screening stations, gas stations, still-open houses of worship, grocery stores, and other retailers that have been approved to do business.'

Homeland Security warns terrorists could strike grocery stores, hospitals, and testing sites | Daily Mail Online

VN Store

Back