Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Maybe people aren't as bad off as I thought...the two previous stimulus checks tripled the sales of overpriced sneakers

I feel sorry for people with kids still living in VA. That state is an absolute crap show even with schools "opening" this week. Sad to see so many of our friends be so excited for the crumbs
Catholic schools, and most private schools, here have been full speed this whole time, so it's only the people that chose the terrible public school systems in this state that are now dealing with those consequences.

Reactions: VolnJC
Catholic schools, and most private schools, here have been full speed this whole time, so it's only the people that chose the terrible public school systems in this state that are now dealing with those consequences.
There are some fabulous public schools in Hampton Roads. There are also many up north too

There are some fabulous public schools in Hampton Roads. There are also many up north too
And yet none of them hold a candle to many of the private schools in this state, especially when it comes to producing critical thinking, valuable members of society.

And yet none of them hold a candle to many of the private schools in this state, especially when it comes to producing critical thinking, valuable members of society.
Yeah they actually do. I've experienced both as a student and a parent and am familiar

A smart kid is likely to succeed anywhere

Yeah they actually do. I've experienced both as a student and a parent and am familiar
No, they actually don't. I've experienced both as a student and somebody trying to hire people out of public schools and private schools all over the state, including the areas you mentioned.

A smart kid is likely to succeed anywhere

Doesn’t really matter how good they “ were” , if the kids aren’t allowed to participate in school like the use to or the admins can’t run them like they use to .

No, they actually don't. I've experienced both as a student and somebody trying to hire people out of public schools and private schools all over the state, including the areas you mentioned.

Roanoke county schools used to be some of the best but that was in the 80s.

What type of private school? Religious or secular? If Bible study and creationism/ID are on the agenda then IMO it is not worth it, nor is it better or helpful.

(Not going to argue religion and evolution and derail the thread, so don’t even try.)

That said, the public school system I’m in for my kid is one of the best in the state, every school is Blue Ribbon and my kid has been going back part time since last October and Full Time since the start of the year.

The idea that private is better across the board is erroneous. Especially looking at the cost benefit curve. If the Blue Ribbon public school is even 80% of the effectiveness of the private school and there is no tuition - it’s a no brainer. As PJ said, smart kids will be successful anywhere.

What type of private school? Religious or secular? If Bible study and creationism/ID are on the agenda then IMO it is not worth it, nor is it better or helpful.

(Not going to argue religion and evolution and derail the thread, so don’t even try.)

That said, the public school system I’m in for my kid is one of the best in the state, every school is Blue Ribbon and my kid has been going back part time since last October and Full Time since the start of the year.

The idea that private is better across the board is erroneous. Especially looking at the cost benefit curve. If the Blue Ribbon public school is even 80% of the effectiveness of the private school and there is no tuition - it’s a no brainer. As PJ said, smart kids will be successful anywhere.
I went to a decent private school. I agree, the rep is inflated. I dont think our life success rate is any higher than a public schools. May do better in the testing and scores, but when it comes to real life it's a wash.

Only thing would be the connections one may get.

What state are you in?

Any state that has as rigorous 'standards of learning' for public schools drag all of the kids to the lowest common denominator. It's a failed model built on failed standards. 'Blue Ribbon' means absolutely nothing when the standards are trash, which they absolutely are.

The Catholic schools here largely only teach religious history and basic Catholic theology (background of Catholic traditions, etc.). The other major Christian-based school where I live does not touch creationism/evolution, and I have no idea about their theology classes. They both also focus on practical/classical educations (training behavior and social norms at a young age, as in preschool-kindergarten). All of them require classes in personal finance, technical writing, basic programming and general computer literacy as a requirement to graduate. I know this because I have been in the classes and know the teachers. Zero of the public schools here have those classes as a requirement. Zero public schools I've tried to hire from in this area or NOVA have required that education. Zero public schools I've interacted with in North Carolina or Tennessee require it, either.

I'm sure there are terrible private schools, but what I am more concerned with is reality. Education means nothing if its wrong, which you've pointed out for us. Most public schools are teaching wrong or useless things and churning out robots.

Roanoke county schools used to be some of the best but that was in the 80s.
I went to a Roanoke County school. I had maybe a handful of good teachers that totally threw aside the SOLs to actually teach. The rest of my education was totally forgettable and largely impractical. The place was run like a prison.

Every kid out of Roanoke City we hired with the exception of one was totally oblivious and lacked even basic skills. The kids we interviewed and hired from the two local private schools, and the one homeschool girl we brought in, were fantastic.

Works that way in my day job too. The people we've brought in on teams from public school backgrounds that went on to public colleges have been flameouts. The people that went to private school, private colleges, and/or didn't go to college have been incredible.

As of late, I spend nearly half my day trying to help parents and kids who are struggling with school disruptions, "virtual learning," and emotional/mental problems.

Anyone who continues to say that schools shouldn't be back to "normal" needs to be dragged into the street and beaten.
As much as I rag on public schools, I have at least one family member that teaches in one and a friend that teaches in another. Both are going nuts and have been on the side pressuring their unions to reopen. At least one is openly looking for a job in a private school.

Reactions: kiddiedoc

VN Store

Back