Lindsey Nelson Stadium,

Good question. Short answer is that Lindsey Nelson founded Vol Network and was a nationally renowned sportscaster who graduated from UT. He has been honored in 13 separate Halls of Fame, spent 17 years announcing Mets, 3 years announcing Giants, and covered college football for 33 years (26 Cotton Bowls) including 14 years announcing ND football.

in 20 years, I hope it’s renamed Tony Vitello Stadium

Excellent update Taylor. I would just add that one of the Halls of Fame he has been inducted into is MLB's in Cooperstown. He also won the Fred C. Frick award given annually at Cooperstown for " Major Contributions to the Game of Baseball".

The real question is why he is not honored by the University's School of Journalist. (perhaps he is and I am unaware).

Did Lindsey Nelson make a donation to UT at the time the stadium was built?

I get all of the stuff including he called Mets games, but never really did anything baseball wise at Tennessee. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing connecting him to the University of Tennessee baseball program which I reckon there is not. It has just always been strange to me that the field was named after someone that really had no connection to Baseball at Tennessee. Great man and broadcaster though.

I get all of the stuff including he called Mets games, but never really did anything baseball wise at Tennessee. I was just wondering if there was something I was missing connecting him to the University of Tennessee baseball program which I reckon there is not. It has just always been strange to me that the field was named after someone that really had no connection to Baseball at Tennessee. Great man and broadcaster though.

I didn't take the time to look, but who was Robert Lindsey, whom the field is named after. Perhaps a past coach?

Mr. Nelson, after retirement and move back to Knoxville, used to come to some of our home games. FYI. Met him many times.

Robert Lindsay was a WW II and Korean War Navy veteran who retired from the US State Dept. He donated $2M for LNS renovations and his Father played baseball for UT. He’s a native of Maryville, TN.
So, the ones complaining that the name should remain unchanged, because they don't like how big money donors can rename a stadium don't really have an argument, once you know all the facts.

Reactions: Aerie Vol
So, the ones complaining that the name should remain unchanged, because they don't like how big money donors can rename a stadium don't really have an argument, once you know all the facts.
Keep in mind, Lindsey Nelson is whom the stadium is named after. Robert Lindsay (with an A) is whom the field is named after. A total coincidence that names are pronounced the same (spelled slightly differently).

I actually do not like the plazas planned in the main seating bowl. A ballpark confined to such a small footprint should priortize seats in the main seating bowl and put plazas elsewhere - way down the lines or in the outfield areas or along the roadway promenade. I don't see plazas in the main seating bowls of MLB parks. There are reasons for that. Those areas are premium for seats.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I actually do not like the plazas planned in the main seating bowl. A ballpark confined to such a small footprint should priortize seats in the main seating bowl and put plazas elsewhere - way down the lines or in the outfield areas or along the roadway promenade. I don't see plazas in the main seating bowls of MLB parks. There are reasons for that. Those areas are premium for seats.

I think they've gone overboard with the plazas as well. Perhaps they're making up for the narrow concourses in front and behind the grandstand.. I thought the simplest thing to do would be to remove the entire upper grandstand and extend the lower seating levels from foul pole to foul pole. On the new wider concourse, forward-facing concessions, restrooms and souvenirs could be built. The the upper structures (broadcast/press/suite/loge) space above that which would cantilever over the concourse. If this new structure did not extend foul pole to foul pole, one could have plazas on either side with the possibility of temporary seating for post season.

Honestly, I was hoping for a complete rebuild with a traditional feel. Larger foul territory. Single-level lower grandstand extending from foul pole to foul pole with concessions at top. And a press, suite, loge level above. I believe this could have been done at what these renovations could end up costing. But would require leaving the site for a 12-16 months. And it is clear, the baseball program was not interested in playing elsewhere.

Last edited:
I think they've gone overboard with the plazas as well. Perhaps they're making up for the narrow concourses in front and behind the grandstand.. I thought the simplest thing to do would be to remove the entire upper grandstand and extend the lower seating levels from foul pole to foul pole. On the new wider concourse, forward-facing concessions, restrooms and souvenirs could be built. The the upper structures (broadcast/press/suite/loge) space above that which would cantilever over the concourse. If this new structure did not extend foul pole to foul pole, one could have plazas on either side with the possibility of temporary seating for post season.

Honestly, I was hoping for a complete rebuild with a traditional feel. Larger foul territory. Single-level lower grandstand extending from foul pole to foul pole with concessions at top. And a press, suite, loge level above. I believe this could have been done at what these renovations could end up costing. But would require leaving the site for a 12-16 months. And it is clear, the baseball program was not interested in playing elsewhere.

I'm not sure your design would work with the very small stadium footprint allowed in the small area for it, but would like to see it proved ineffective by drawings anyway. Also, I think I read somewhere that Tony V loves the way the fans are right on top of the action, and so that feature apparently was a keeper from the get go. That small foul territory really benefits both the fans and hitters. In addition to the short power alleys, another reason it's considered a hitter's park.

I had thought some of the pavilion areas could be transformed to permanent seating if needed in the future. Maybe there is some flexibility.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So now that is almost August, what phase starts tomorrow, when do we start digging and what can we expect to have finished for the 2024 season???

So now that is almost August, what phase starts tomorrow, when do we start digging and what can we expect to have finished for the 2024 season???
Doubt anything will take place tomorrow unless it's more "fund raising". Think the most we get this cycle...assuming it actually starts...is added seating down the 3rd base line and some other things that I can't recall. It's happening...wait for it...."soon". Honestly, I'd settle for giving the front entrance a good pressure washing or maybe some paint here and there. Something, anything. This program deserves far better than we currently have in terms of facilities. Embarrassing to have to play in Hattiesburg. Should have had shovels in the ground the day after our last game. Yeah, there's all sorts of rules and hoops to jump thru. Just witching about how slowly the wheels turn....if they're turning at all.

Doubt anything will take place tomorrow unless it's more "fund raising". Think the most we get this cycle...assuming it actually starts...is added seating down the 3rd base line and some other things that I can't recall. It's happening...wait for it...."soon". Honestly, I'd settle for giving the front entrance a good pressure washing or maybe some paint here and there. Something, anything. This program deserves far better than we currently have in terms of facilities. Embarrassing to have to play in Hattiesburg. Should have had shovels in the ground the day after our last game. Yeah, there's all sorts of rules and hoops to jump thru. Just witching about how slowly the wheels turn....if they're turning at all.

Have you ever applied for a building permit for a stadium?

I contacted someone who would know about the progress. They have added a couple of more camps and another Showcase weekend so it will be September before they start doing major work. The rule change of not being able to talk to them, except when they are on campus has greatly increased the need to have as many prospects as possible on campus this summer.
They are going to make some changes to the front and the press box this year, but don’t know for sure that that will be the final product or just a temporary fix.
Another friend sent me this, just to “piss you guys off”. 😂 Remember I’m just the middleman.

Attachments

• IMG_5893.jpeg
    IMG_5893.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 96
I have not, but I don't think it's a two year process.
Get to Home Depot, buy some paint and get the UT maintenance crew busy doing something

it can easily be a three year process when all is considered. Especially when the contractor does not have control of the site year-round for whatever reason. Reguations are a bitch.

it can easily be a three year process when all is considered. Especially when the contractor does not have control of the site year-round for whatever reason. Reguations are a bitch.
Keep dragging their feet and see Tony skate.
At this rate it will be 25 or 26 before any real upgrades are completed.

The drainage is the very reason. Late winter/early spring in the upper south is wet and miserable. If it rains 1/2 a day and the sun never comes out it never dries out to get a game in. We were the ONLY SEC team to get all 56 games in this year. You can thank the field for that. How does field turf scream poverty? It screams we’re serious enough that we’re going to get all of our games in.

The turf they use these days is totally different than what they had 15-20 years ago. Our local city just put turf in a 4 field park, and the leaders of the baseball league were thrilled. It’s state of the art and will get kids on the fields much more often. We are in west TN.

I’m not a grass expert, but Bermuda usually requires heat to grow, and you aren’t getting that in February and March in Knoxville. Something like bluegrass can’t take the heat late in the season. As you say, too, the wet spring is a problem.

There is a reason why most SEC teams have grass because of geography, but that doesn’t stop the rain. It’s really a no-brainer with the type of turf available these days.

I’m sorry, I’ll always be a grass traditionalist.

I’ve played on astroturf and my knees paid the price.

I’ve played on the new field turf and thought I was going to have a heat stroke.

I’ve played on grass and felt like that was what god intended. Which is why grass grows out of the dirt, not shredded tires with green plastic poking out if it.

VN Store

Back