Look... we needed Gruden

I've just returned from the alternate universe where Gruden was hired as coach. Its not pretty boys, after the vols pulled the 25th ranked recruiting class the board experienced a meltdown/civil war like none its ever experienced. So far there have been at least 45 "this is what happens when you hire a has-been NFL coach with no SEC experience' threads posted.

Reactions: 3 people
We didn't get Gruden...get over it already people. Cause you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find, you get what you need. Gruden may have been what we wanted but Butch may be what we actually need. Time to move on!

My father told me that it is better to keep your mouth shut and have people THINK that you are STUPID, than it is to open it and remove all doubt.

I've seen this quote butchered about 3 times in the last week on here.

Your father didn't come up with it in case you didn't know, it's attributed to Mark Twain but that's not a certainty.

Volnation, I really like Butch Jones. Dooley turned me off almost as soon as he arrived on campus. While the majority of you were praising "Showergate," and "Looking for Rommel" and "pick up the phone and call me" I was telling you that Dooley was auditioning for a TV gig as our head coach. And I didn't like it. And that's exactly what he did.

Butch was always behind the 8-ball. He actually walked into a worse situation than Dooley (which is saying something in a big way). He almost created his next problem. He did what he had to do - he went after elite talent. Problem is, he didn't land the elite talent. I've said for awhile this 2013 class would define his tenure. He swung for the fences (which makes me like him), but he didn't connect. Strike.

Daj is absolutely right - it starts with talent. That's why we needed Gruden so bad, and the CryptKeeper and Booger dropped the ball. I said at the time Hart still had the power to screw the pooch. He did. Ego. BMOC. Hart couldn't handle Gruden being Big Man on Campus. And it will haunt us for a decade.

CBJ still has a chance. He has to lean on our offensive line. He has to restore confidence to the defense. He has to go +2 in the talent column, and that is his record. I fear though he was +2 in the Big East, but the SEC is the best of best. Second tier these days is Steve Spurrier. Let that sink in. Even Muschamp is proving he is worthy of the league. Franklin has the nation talking about Vandy --- VANDY!

Folks, we needed Gruden. It wasn't a pipe dream, but we had to roll out the red carpet, absolutely. The CryptKeeper failed. We've got to hope Coach Butch Jones is +2. I want him to be +2. He's still got a chance, but he's got to take some big scalps 2013.

Gruden is overated, and he never wanted the job! Jones is A good coach and if he is given 3 years he will have the vols winning again! You don't go from losing to winning sec titles over night. In 3 years he will have the Vols back in contention in the east!:thumbsup:

You would think that people would at least let CBJ hold his first practice before they decide that he is a failure. We have had THREE WINNING SEASONS since 2004 and you think Gruden could come in here and win a National Championship in two years. GET REAL.

It is sad but that is why this board gets laughed at by others.

Wow I see why I don't come to this board much anymore. Same ole DRAMA QUEENS talking garbage and downing THE NATION. Someone shoot the OP

gruden makes over $4 million for working 1-2 days each week--no way he's giving that up anytime soon for a coaching gig working 80 hours for less money.

You forgot about all the Fire Gruden threads after UF & Alabama curb stomp us in his first season.

I've just returned from the alternate universe where Gruden was hired as coach. Its not pretty boys, after the vols pulled the 25th ranked recruiting class the board experienced a meltdown/civil war like none its ever experienced. So far there have been at least 45 "this is what happens when you hire a has-been NFL coach with no SEC experience' threads posted.

A prophet IMO.

I know Gruden won a Super Bowl at Tampa Bay with a team that had been assembled before he got there. After that it was all down hill ending finally in Tampa Bay firing him. So you look at the Super Bowl he won and can say wow what a Coach but if you look at his whole body of work then you wonder why he is so popular.

@YorkVol - nice post.

I think you underestimate the Gruden factor. I think at Tennessee, Gruden is an elite recruiter without doubt. Elite recruits would seek HIM out. Right now, that is far, far more important than Xs and Os if we want to compete for the SEC.

I think we have a great Xs and Os coach (and a MAJOR upgrade over Fool-ey). However, Saban, Spurrier, Richt, Les Miles (staff), hell even Muschamp and Franklin - great Xs and Os coaches and elite recruiters. We've got to have both. He helps his cause immensely landing one of the big three.

Ok.....To be considered an Elite Recruiter he would have had to recruit some elite recruits in the past. Could you please list the names of all the elite recruits that he recruited? I`ll be waiting.

Reactions: 3 people

Spot on.

Since I don't mind hijacking the thread...your Pens are dominating on the road so far. But Jersey is surprisingly still strong.

Reactions: 1 person
Why do you think Gruden was assembling a staff?

He wasn`t. All of this was just the imaginations of people on this board. When Vic Grider resigned at South Pittsburg it was because he was quitting to join Grudens staff according to posters on VN. And my guess is the media just got whiff of are the BS rumors on this board.

Volnation, I really like Butch Jones. Dooley turned me off almost as soon as he arrived on campus. While the majority of you were praising "Showergate," and "Looking for Rommel" and "pick up the phone and call me" I was telling you that Dooley was auditioning for a TV gig as our head coach. And I didn't like it. And that's exactly what he did.

Butch was always behind the 8-ball. He actually walked into a worse situation than Dooley (which is saying something in a big way). He almost created his next problem. He did what he had to do - he went after elite talent. Problem is, he didn't land the elite talent. I've said for awhile this 2013 class would define his tenure. He swung for the fences (which makes me like him), but he didn't connect. Strike.

Daj is absolutely right - it starts with talent. That's why we needed Gruden so bad, and the CryptKeeper and Booger dropped the ball. I said at the time Hart still had the power to screw the pooch. He did. Ego. BMOC. Hart couldn't handle Gruden being Big Man on Campus. And it will haunt us for a decade.

CBJ still has a chance. He has to lean on our offensive line. He has to restore confidence to the defense. He has to go +2 in the talent column, and that is his record. I fear though he was +2 in the Big East, but the SEC is the best of best. Second tier these days is Steve Spurrier. Let that sink in. Even Muschamp is proving he is worthy of the league. Franklin has the nation talking about Vandy --- VANDY!

Folks, we needed Gruden. It wasn't a pipe dream, but we had to roll out the red carpet, absolutely. The CryptKeeper failed. We've got to hope Coach Butch Jones is +2. I want him to be +2. He's still got a chance, but he's got to take some big scalps 2013.

You are right.... we needed Gruden :hi:

Truth is we don't have him so I doing what I can to get use to CBJ (difficult but trying) the most difficult thing to me is to know for the first time in my years of following the Vols (started in 1965) WE ARE LOOKING UP TO AND CHASING VANDY........ugggg

If Butch and Co do not work out we will look like kentucky in Football for a LONNNNG time! :cray:

He wasn`t. All of this was just the imaginations of people on this board. When Vic Grider resigned at South Pittsburg it was because he was quitting to join Grudens staff according to posters on VN. And my guess is the media just got whiff of are the BS rumors on this board.

It was not just people on this board saying Gruden was assembling a staff... even TOS and Hubbs was saying that he was. Hubbs said he did not know for who, but it had a College look

Gruden is apunk that used the UT job to his self-agrandisement. Who says he would have been a successful college coach. He had name recognition which is a big plus. On the other hand, his players couldnt stand him and he did get fired, after all.

u joined in sept 2012?

If we get Bell, Elder, Herron, Harris and Ramsey this year that helps get us back. If we get Hurd who Dooley also slipped on it helps us get back. So he was not working on top 14 talent. Dooley did a horrible job all around recruiting and coaching. The only reason Dooley got those recruits the first class is BECAUSE OF KIFFIN. Stop trying to make Dooley look better. You still are making up stuff to make him look better. How do Saban and Meyer have time to build relationships with TN coaches while not ignoring those other states?

Did u miss the part where I said "why would dooley continue to recruit once he got the hint he was gone"?? He started on '14 guys and I'm sure he stopped when he needed to. DR and hunter weren't all Kiffin. DR was sealed up with the nash deal. And hunter iirc didn't like kiffin and wasn't coming here. Like I said dooley sealed them up. Cbj didn't seal up the major players that dooley had been working on lawson or green.

Saban and meyer have the luxury of cherry picking TN. They are also have their recruiting lanes set up in the SE for yrs, and are in states with great SEC talent. Dooley was only 3 yrs at UT and it takes time to get them done. He came in with momentum and some in place. Something that CBJ did not come to UT with.

I also saw a post of urs that said something about what dooley was left by kiffin and cbj by dooley. Yes kiffens first and only class was talented but was full of drama and prima donnas. Dooley tried to keep them but just is what it is. Janzen Jackson was destined to get kicked out. Kiffen may have left talent but didn't leave players that were here for UT. Imho Dooley did. That's why I believe cbj is left a better group of players, and they have lots of experience.

Last edited:
Spot on.

Since I don't mind hijacking the thread...your Pens are dominating on the road so far. But Jersey is surprisingly still strong.

for some reason they struggle at home though. They need to make a trade for a top 6 winger in the worst way

You are right.... we needed Gruden :hi:

Truth is we don't have him so I doing what I can to get use to CBJ (difficult but trying) the most difficult thing to me is to know for the first time in my years of following the Vols (started in 1965) WE ARE LOOKING UP TO AND CHASING VANDY........ugggg

If Butch and Co do not work out we will look like kentucky in Football for a LONNNNG time! :cray:

I don't think we will ever look like Kentucky. Hold your head up Bro!

VN Store

Back