Mass Shooting in Atlanta

I find it hilarious that the same people that spit this line also argue that you can’t stop criminals from getting guns. So which is it, can you curb criminal behavior or can you not?
I find it equally hilarious you can’t or won’t grasp that we all know criminals won’t obey gun laws so we categorically reject any idea to apply further gun legislation that only impacts law abiding citizens.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Great anecdote but you just proved criminals will get what they want. Had he gone thru the current system it would be flagged

Obviously we have different opinions on this. I'm saying the current system can be improved. You're saying it can't.

Here's a real life example. A few years ago I was out shopping and saw a friend I went to school with. Hadn't seen him for a few years. He comes up to me and asks for a ride home, I say sure no problem.

In the car I ask him what's going on. "Dude I just got out of jail." What happened? "I'm on probation and one of the conditions is that I can't own a gun. I forgot about that and bought one 3 days ago. The cops came to my work this morning and took me to jail. I just got out on bail."

Now this guy had a court order that he couldn't own a gun, but was still able to legally purchase one. For 3 days he had a gun that he had no business having. Thankfully he didn't do anything with it, but if he wanted to he could have.

Let's start there, the background checks should be stricter than what happened there.
Calling ******** on this story.

Obviously we have different opinions on this. I'm saying the current system can be improved. You're saying it can't.

The only real way to "improve" the current BGC system would be to require mental health professionals to report to the NICS system. You ready for that massive intrusion of privacy?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Here's a real life example. A few years ago I was out shopping and saw a friend I went to school with. Hadn't seen him for a few years. He comes up to me and asks for a ride home, I say sure no problem.

In the car I ask him what's going on. "Dude I just got out of jail." What happened? "I'm on probation and one of the conditions is that I can't own a gun. I forgot about that and bought one 3 days ago. The cops came to my work this morning and took me to jail. I just got out on bail."

Now this guy had a court order that he couldn't own a gun, but was still able to legally purchase one. For 3 days he had a gun that he had no business having. Thankfully he didn't do anything with it, but if he wanted to he could have.

Let's start there, the background checks should be stricter than what happened there.
Stricter how? The law that should have stopped your friend was already in place. The background checks were already in place. The system that notified the cops was already in place.

If you mean "better" good luck. This is the federal government. They dont do better, they just find new ways to waste money.

The only real way to "improve" the current BGC system would be to require mental health professionals to report to the NICS system. You ready for that massive intrusion of privacy?
Bro the government is looking at my face through my camera as I type this response. Privacy is non-existent.

Reactions: Wireless1
While unnecessary loss of life is tragic, it is absurd that an event like this gets the media coverage and attention like this as a topic on a message board.

You are not going to die in a mass shooting, yet people are ready to deny rights. It isnt logical for this to get this much attention.

The solution is simple. It requires restrictions on another amendment to our constitution, ie a restriction on freedom of the press. And we have a path to follow which has already produced results.
Networks and sports leagues chose to strip publicity away from streakers a few decades ago. That decision helped facilitate a decline in the number of spectators wanting to streak and make a spectacle of themselves. If there's no 15 minutes of fame, there's no reason to do it.

The name of a mass murderer should be withheld from public. Give them absolutely no pub whatsoever. Without notoriety, the events will decline.
Start a list of names like they do hurricanes with none of them being complementary - like "Toe Jam," or "Belly Button Lint"
That way you could warn people that there are "sexual deviants" and "religious zealots" without the 15 minutes of fame.

Reactions: McDad
Start a list of names like they do hurricanes with none of them being complementary - like "Toe Jam," or "Belly Button Lint"
That way you could warn people that there are "sexual deviants" and "religious zealots" without the 15 minutes of fame.
I was thinking "Anonymous Criminal". But a mocking tone would be even more dissuasive.

How is making sure mentally ill people don't purchase a weapon a bad thing?
You were talking about privacy, and the government spying (bad). You used it to justify denying people their privacy by the government.

That's the issue, any net you cast doesnt just catch the guilty. And in this country the rights of the innocent are protected. Which you want to void, just for your anti 2A stance.

This is why the 2A has to be defended tooth and nail, because several other rights are all tied into this as well. And once the government justifies taking one away by eroding secondary, to the subject, rights; it becomes that much easier to remove those other rights as the government wants.

Which is the exact opposite of what a right is. A right is a right despite the wants of the government or it's people.

When racists dent rights from people it is rightfully decried, but when the government does it it is cheered.

Reactions: McDad
I think that'll happen from time to time unfortunately. Not sure how you prevent the lone wolf with no past history of violent behavior or mental illness from legally obtaining one.

Problem is there are people who have no business getting a gun that easily legally get one.
like who?

He lied to you and you believed him. He didn't legally purchase one

What is it with bubbas and not being able stay on subject? You spout the same 5 or 6 tired lines no matter what is said. Care to respond to what we were actually talking about?
Right. I only say the same 5 or 6 things. You bet “bubba”. And no, I don’t care to contribute because you aren’t looking for a conversation. You’re looking to just spout your nonsense about guns killing people rather than people killing people. If we disagree on that level there’s no point in discussing.

How is making sure mentally ill people don't purchase a weapon a bad thing?

I have read a lot of opinions from multiple posters and the reoccurring topic is there is a problem but how can it be fixed. You mentioned more needs to be done to prevent mentally ill people from purchasing a weapon. I don’t believe any substantial info has surfaced based on what I have read that Robert Long was diagnosed with a mental disorder unless I missed something. He told cops he has an addiction to sex causing him to commit these horrible crimes. He appears to be an average Joe that snapped and legally purchased a 9MM that is suspected as the murder weapon by authorities. Maybe more will be revealed about this guy’s mental health when he goes to trial. I personally believe the problems with violence in this country go beyond accessibility to weapons. He allegedly used a 9mm a very common handgun. He could have purchased a Mossberg, scoped luger, colt 45 etc. I don’t see any of these guns being banned in the near future. The question I have is why are there so many people that choose to commit violent acts leading to murder in order to justify their problems? This is far too common in the USA. I don’t believe stricter gun laws will discourage people from committing crimes because hate & aggression come from within a person and are not manufactured inside of a firearm.

Reactions: Wireless1 and McDad
And to my knowledge we are NOT gathering the information on WHY, what caused these people to commit these terrible acts.
We aren’t gathering information in any concerted, organized fashion at all... almost like some people don’t even want to address it.

How many deaths per year are the direct result of opioids? Are they banned? Everyone I know owns guns. I personally own 2 AR-15s. My brother and his wife have two. My 70 year old mother owns one. Together we have fired thousands of rounds of ammo through them. Not one single bullet has ever killed a human. And I would be willing to bet that the number of legally owned AR-15s in this country that HAVENT been used to kill far outweigh those that do. Individual accountability is the key here.

Fact is you have made an analogy that is literally apples to doughnuts and it’s worse than lazy and ineffective.

It’s a relevant analogy, even if you don’t want it to be.

VN Store

Back