Maurice Couch Tweet

No. Jesus would forgive him and move on. Not like these sanctimonious tools who want to keep beating him up over it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Who is beating him up over it? All I am doing is wanting our players to NOT be the ones you hear about in the paper or on Sportscenter. We've got a program coming out of the dark ages and we don't need people committing crimes, taking money, cheating, or doing anything else that we've had to hear about in the past. Why can't you people just admit that regardless of the apology, we can't have players being on the take? I appreciate him manning up and saying he is sorry, but more importantly, I want our players to be above doing this sort of crap. How is it being sanctimonious to want our program to be one that plays by the rules and not be one that is constantly under media scrutiny, or under the watchful eye of the NCAA?

I just tried to buy lunch with perks and it didn't go over very well. I have yet to hear back from my mortgage company as to whether they accept perks but will report back when I do

Interesting, two of the perks I mentioned earlier in this thread was all he could eat football starter buffet, and housing.

Now true, it may not have fed his kid (which still hasn't been shown was hungry), but it would be a lot easier to feed a young kid if one isn't buying their own food, you think?

He and baby-mama aren't married, which means that she probably has custody, which means that she's probably supplying a place to live for the kid. It's probably easier to support your kid when you don't have to pay rent. It's probably easier to feed your kid when most of your clothes are supplied?

Are you really, truly trying to make the argument that it was smarter for him to jeapordize everything for $1300 instead of earning $2000?

I'd like to "hear" you say that, because I'm not really interested in going back and forth just for the sake of going back and forth. If you go ahead and state that, I'll know it's pretty much a lost cause. If you state that's not the case, we're closer to one another's opinion than it appears, and we can be friends. Well, either way, I'd like to be your friend.

Will you be my friend?

:hi:

He broke a contract, and by so doing most likely negated the chance at an NFL contract. By breaking the contract, he is losing access to perks that add up to much more monetary value than the $1300. I said it was wrong, and stupid.

To tie it back to my example, I didn't break laws, in large part, because it would have hindered my ability to support my family-- much like Couch breaking his contract (letter of intent/amateur status) will hinder his ability to support his family.

Which is your opinion, and you are welcome to it. What is not opinion is the fact that these rules were clearly stated in the contract that he signed, and thus he knew that he was breaking the contractual agreement when he took the $$$ under the table.

That makes it unethical.

That makes it stupid, considering what he was giving up to break the agreement.

I'd love for you to sign a contract, break it, and then tell the court, "Yah. I signed it. But it was a stupid contract."

:good!:

Contracts in college football are routinely broken aren't they? Coaches leaving after a year. Teams leaving conferences. Because it's deemed legal does that therefore mean it's ethical?

You said in an earlier post that you were a young, married, broke, father.

If your boss came to you and said, " I value your hard work and dedication. At this time, I can't authorize a raise, but I think I could get you a bonus, which you deserve. I know you are struggling but I'd hate for you to leave for more money, we value you as an employee. Here's a check for $2000.

Whether you would take it or not is not the issue.

The issue is that these kids have a value despite the NCAA saying otherwise.

He broke a rule. We don't know why he did it. He did something thousands of players have done over the years. He's missing a game. He'll probably miss more, maybe all. Considering how many millions of dollars the schools and the NCAA spend trying to keep these kids from taking money, they are certainly doing a poor job...or maybe an out dated rule needs some tweaking. Tweaking that realizes a players value in a free economy. jmo

Reactions: 1 person
Contracts in college football are routinely broken aren't they? Coaches leaving after a year. Teams leaving conferences. Because it's deemed legal does that therefore mean it's ethical?

You said in an earlier post that you were a young, married, broke, father.

If your boss came to you and said, " I value your hard work and dedication. At this time, I can't authorize a raise, but I think I could get you a bonus, which you deserve. I know you are struggling but I'd hate for you to leave for more money, we value you as an employee. Here's a check for $2000.

Whether you would take it or not is not the issue.

The issue is that these kids have a value despite the NCAA saying otherwise.

He broke a rule. We don't know why he did it. He did something thousands of players have done over the years. He's missing a game. He'll probably miss more, maybe all. Considering how many millions of dollars the schools and the NCAA spend trying to keep these kids from taking money, they are certainly doing a poor job...or maybe an out dated rule needs some tweaking. Tweaking that realizes a players value in a free economy. jmo

I apologize in advance, because I'm seriously not trying to be a jerk, but... What in the heck are you talking about?

In the coach's contract, they have a buy-out clause. The coach is not breaking the contract; he is exercising a clause in it.

[Edit: Teams negotiate and pay to leave conferences.]

When I was broke, or now... My boss has promised me a bonus next year. I will take it with no matter of conscience whatsoever. It's a bonus!

The company I work at has a code of ethics that I signed. This, for example, includes a section that I will no take any form of employment with a competitor. I would not dream of doing so, and trying to hide it from them. It would be ethically wrong, and put my primary employment in jeapordy.

Couch did not exercise an "out" clause. He did not take a bonus from the NCAA. He broke his contract and kept silent about it.

[Edit: Couch and his family signed on for the stipulations. Couch is getting value in education, books, etc... His value is not the marker for whether he broke a contract and endangered his future by doing so.]

Last edited:

Now this I agree with. The NCAA desperately need to do something that allows them to see some of the benefit of the profits. I agree these rules are still quite archaic, and while I don't think they should earn a "salary", I think they should have an account or something that each university creates, where the players receive a payment that is an equal share. Everyone is making money except the players risking it all on the field or basketball court.

Who is beating him up over it? All I am doing is wanting our players to NOT be the ones you hear about in the paper or on Sportscenter. We've got a program coming out of the dark ages and we don't need people committing crimes, taking money, cheating, or doing anything else that we've had to hear about in the past. Why can't you people just admit that regardless of the apology, we can't have players being on the take? I appreciate him manning up and saying he is sorry, but more importantly, I want our players to be above doing this sort of crap. How is it being sanctimonious to want our program to be one that plays by the rules and not be one that is constantly under media scrutiny, or under the watchful eye of the NCAA?

Dude, your soapbox is big enough for a sectional sofa. Their is nothing wrong with wanting our players to be responsible audults. But if you think 17-18 year olds aren't going to live in the present instead of the future, you need to move. I suggest...
Fantasy-Island.jpg

Yet he's old enough to make decisions like getting married and having a child? Maybe I just expect more out of players that are given such an opportunity.

I apologize in advance, because I'm seriously not trying to be a jerk, but... What in the heck are you talking about?

In the coach's contract, they have a buy-out clause. The coach is not breaking the contract; he is exercising a clause in it.

[Edit: Teams negotiate and pay to leave conferences.]

When I was broke, or now... My boss has promised me a bonus next year. I will take it with no matter of conscience whatsoever. It's a bonus!

The company I work at has a code of ethics that I signed. This, for example, includes a section that I will no take any form of employment with a competitor. I would not dream of doing so, and trying to hide it from them. It would be ethically wrong, and put my primary employment in jeapordy.

Couch did not exercise an "out" clause. He did not take a bonus from the NCAA. He broke his contract and kept silent about it.

[Edit: Couch and his family signed on for the stipulations. Couch is getting value in education, books, etc... His value is not the marker for whether he broke a contract and endangered his future by doing so.]

He doesn't have an out clause, but the coach who recruited him to the school does. He wants to play in the SEC, but the school could buy out during his time. If he wants to leave he's got to sit out.

The game changed in 1979 with the launch of ESPN. No one wants to recognize it.

If the SEC players decided to take one Saturday off, all at the same time...it would rock the foundation of college sports. I wish they would.

Are you really, truly trying to make the argument that it was smarter for him to jeapordize everything for $1300 instead of earning $2000?

you keep posting this like it truly is a gotcha statement. What it really says is you have little to no understanding of the time commitments put on college athletes (and especially football players). Let's pretend these are real threads and predict how they would turn out

"Couch skips spring practice"
or
"Couch no-show for any summer workouts"

full-time student, full-time football player and part-time worker? Yeah, that sounds like it should work

this has been happening and will continue to happen as long as the NCAA is in charge of college athletics. To even pretend UT athletes should be above it simply because they wear orange is absurd

Yet he's old enough to make decisions like getting married and having a child? Maybe I just expect more out of players that are given such an opportunity.

then your head is planted firmly in the sand and you seem completely unwilling to remove it

College student with a kid, cash was hard to come by, offer was mad and he took it. tough to turn down. He owned up to his mistake.....A lot different than most people whose philosophy is: Deny it until you have no other choice but to say I did it. Mo, mistakes are made throughout all our lives, facing them with honesty:) will go a long way to clean these up. thanks and good luck

I'm sorry but I would have to be caught out right before I would admit to it!

He doesn't have an out clause, but the coach who recruited him to the school does. He wants to play in the SEC, but the school could buy out during his time. If he wants to leave he's got to sit out.

The game changed in 1979 with the launch of ESPN. No one wants to recognize it.

If the SEC players decided to take one Saturday off, all at the same time...it would rock the foundation of college sports. I wish they would.

What on earth does any of that have to do with the contract he signed? Maybe every D1 recruit should lawyer up before signing the contract. I'm all for it.

Couch was under contract, and it was stupid for him to take the risks of breaking it. Tweet him and ask him if he could go back and decline the $$$. Tweet him and ask him if he wishes he'd never signed to play D1 football.

I think we both know the answers you'd get.

then your head is planted firmly in the sand and you seem completely unwilling to remove it

Would you like for me to tell you where yours is? You're the one ignoring logic and common sense, seemingly because he apologized. You and others like you seem willing to overlook the damage this is doing to the team, and ultimately to himself, but hey, he apologized, so none of that matters. :loco::whatever:

yeah but him taking the money in the first place shows a lot about his character as well!

Shame on you for pointing that out. :thumbsup:

Maybe they will start lambasting you now because my back is getting sore from taking all the shots.

you keep posting this like it truly is a gotcha statement. What it really says is you have little to no understanding of the time commitments put on college athletes (and especially football players). Let's pretend these are real threads and predict how they would turn out

"Couch skips spring practice"
or
"Couch no-show for any summer workouts"

full-time student, full-time football player and part-time worker? Yeah, that sounds like it should work

this has been happening and will continue to happen as long as the NCAA is in charge of college athletics. To even pretend UT athletes should be above it simply because they wear orange is absurd

Yah. I guess you're right. It would be impossible to earn $2000/yr in the time that our football players have beer bottle throwing contests, ride Sea Doos, get into bar fights, etc... Just so people don't think I'm bagging the Vols I'll also rephrase. It would be impossible to earn $2000/yr in the time that our players have donated for Volympics this year.

(For the record, $2000/yr @ $10/hr is just under 4 hrs a week.)

Now, with that nicely settled, let's cut to the chase. If asked whether he wishes he had never taken the money, what do you think his answer would be?

Do you know the circumstances during that time?

Right.

Nobody does. I'd hold judgment until more information is released, if any is.

We don't know the circumstances, but I dare say that is irrelevant. Is it really this hard for you people to understand? If you want to play college football, DON'T BREAK NCAA RULES!!!! With as much crap as we've had to deal with, as far as NCAA investigations, police involvement, player dismissals, and internal investigation, it shocks me just how dismissive you all are over this. Pay to play is the sure fire way to get the NCAA back in Knoxville and I'd think you guys wouldn't want that can of worms to be re-opened.

yeah but him taking the money in the first place shows a lot about his character as well!

Tough to know what one would do if in a bad way and needing money quick. Thankfully he didn't go Nuke and try robbing someone for money. And to a lesser degree for him but bigger for the university. He didn't get his money from someone close to our program which would be crippling to us. I forgive the kid. He obviously knows he made a tough decision and is dealing with consequences.

Yah. I guess you're right. It would be impossible to earn $2000/yr in the time that our football players have beer bottle throwing contests, ride Sea Doos, get into bar fights, etc... Just so people don't think I'm bagging the Vols I'll also rephrase. It would be impossible to earn $2000/yr in the time that our players have donated for Volympics this year.

(For the record, $2000/yr @ $10/hr is just under 4 hrs a week.)

completely ridiculous but keep it up. It's entertaining on a friday afternoon

Now, with that nicely settled, let's cut to the chase. If asked whether he wishes he had never taken the money, what do you think his answer would be?

no one can answer that without knowing the circumstances behind it

Do you know the circumstances during that time?

Right.

Nobody does. I'd hold judgment until more information is released, if any is.

I wouldnt judge him too much either.
Having said that he knew the rules and broke them. Now his teammates also have to pay the consequences.

We don't know the circumstances, but I dare say that is irrelevant. Is it really this hard for you people to understand? If you want to play college football, DON'T BREAK NCAA RULES!!!! With as much crap as we've had to deal with, as far as NCAA investigations, police involvement, player dismissals, and internal investigation, it shocks me just how dismissive you all are over this. Pay to play is the sure fire way to get the NCAA back in Knoxville and I'd think you guys wouldn't want that can of worms to be re-opened.

Calm down champ. I never said I supported him taking money.

You just don't see many kids owning up their mistakes like he is doing. I also think some of the comments towards him by our fan base is a little extreme, especially since nobody on here knows the whole story.

If it turns out he borrowed money to enjoy a raunchy night at the Mouses Ear, then he deserves everything that is being said and some. What if ( please notice I used the word if ) the truth is he was struggling to feed his kid for example?

Calm down champ. I never said I supported him taking money.

You just don't see many kids owning up their mistakes like he is doing. I also think some of the comments towards him by our fan base is a little extreme, especially since nobody on here knows the whole story.

If it turns out he borrowed money to enjoy a raunchy night at the Mouses Ear, then he deserves everything that is being said and some. What if ( please notice I used the word if ) the truth is he was struggling to feed his kid for example?

If he took it to feed the kid then I'd say he made a dramatic and unnecessary mistake. There are so many avenues available for help that to knowingly break NCAA and University rules, to do that, is a huge mistake and one that didn't need to be made. It shows poor judgment in either case, but as I said, I appreciate him apologizing.

VN Store

Back