Maurice Couch Tweet

There really is no debate here; both things can coexist without contradiction.

Did he make a mistake that will have consequences beyond his own? Probably.

Did he own up to it and admit the mistake? Yes, once it was aired on/in virtually every sports and social medium on the planet.

Does he deserve a pat on the back for finally owning up? Not for me to say; but someone much older and wiser than me once said you don't get rewarded for doing what you should have naturally been doing all along. One gets rewarded for going above and beyond what is expected of him.

So it's good that he finally took responsibility; but would he have done so had it not already been reported?

And even if he had admitted it prior to getting busted, isn't that what a conscientious person does anyway if he's truly humble and regrets the decision?

Reactions: 2 people
I certainly can understand why some people want to give Couch the business.

I certainly understand why some people can have empathy for him.

Chris Boyd plead guilty to a misdemeanor in exchange for testifying against his team mates in a rape case. He'll be on probation for a year. He's still on scholarship and enrolled at Vandy.

I would hope that the penalty for breaking a rule would be less than that of a law.

Reactions: 1 person
sly3.gif

Good one.lol.

Pure class. However, given the NCAAs trouble in gathering evidence, and their lack of subpoena power, I would have waited to make a statement.

Pretty sure the Yahoo reporter isn't giving up his evidence. At least that was reported yesterday.

He isn't admitting to anything specific in that tweet.

There are a lot of holier than thou and judgmental people up in this thread. I'm not saying what he did should go unpunished, but it is obvious that a whole lot of you guys have never had to face real life. You still live under the impression that everything in the world is either black or white. Let me tell you that the majority of life takes place in the grey. It is filled with decisions between doing things that are ideally right and things to simply survive. For those of you that basically said that you would allow your child to go without in order to do what is morally right in your opinion, shame on you.

Amen Doyle!

Didn't take long for morality police to show up. A new VN record.

Couch screwed up, and owned it. Anyone that can't see this as a high character move is an idiot. Unless you happen to be completely perfect, then I say judge away.

Idiots.
x1000. I don't hit the like button much, but I did in this case.

Considering that his wife is currently pregnant again, I doubt they were having trouble feeding the child they already have.

Gotta love Vol Nation.

A thread on a tweet from a football player regarding something he may or may not have done becomes a forum for the merits of family planning.

1) No evidence he did this for his kid
2) Two wrongs don't make a right and rules are still in place that levy substantial penalties for doing what he did.
3) It is selfish and harmful to the team and school so while I appreciate his apology, he should have used his head BEFORE taking money. There are just some things you don't do.
1)No evidence he didn't.
2)College athletes would be dirt poor most of the time if they followed the NCAA rules.
3)He may have used his head and decided his family could really use that pretty minimal sum of money.

Wrong.

I wasn't a D1 football scholarship with a free ride and a hopeful NFL future, but I was a young, broke father. I never stole or dealt drugs to feed my kids. I worked 2-3 jobs, lived within our means, and applied myself sacrificially to improving myself.

I knew that a father in jail wouldn't provide for her better than someone who did it the right way. Couch knew that:

Making himself ineligible would threaten his education.

It would threaten his future NFL career.

He traded an escape from the cycle of poverty for convenience. Period.

I am glad to see him own it and respond like a man. Kudos to Couch.

He didn't break a law...these are arbitrary rules the NCAA has placed in their rulebook about amateurism so they don't have to pay taxes.

It is a joke.

1)No evidence he didn't.
2)College athletes would be dirt poor most of the time if they followed the NCAA rules.
3)He may have used his head and decided his family could really use that pretty minimal sum of money.

College scholarship athletes have virtually everything provided for them, and are still eligible for grants like the Pell (that never has to be paid back and can be spent on anything), as well as a dozen other forms of financial aid.

Interviews with several NFL players a few years ago revealed that many of them had so much coming in from grants and loans that they had bought cars and real estate with it and were sitting pretty after their 3 or 4 years.

If there's a dirt poor scholarship football player, he's blowing all his money.

He didn't break a law...

He broke a contract, and by so doing most likely negated the chance at an NFL contract. By breaking the contract, he is losing access to perks that add up to much more monetary value than the $1300. I said it was wrong, and stupid.

To tie it back to my example, I didn't break laws, in large part, because it would have hindered my ability to support my family-- much like Couch breaking his contract (letter of intent/amateur status) will hinder his ability to support his family.

...these are arbitrary rules the NCAA has placed in their rulebook about amateurism so they don't have to pay taxes.

It is a joke.

Which is your opinion, and you are welcome to it. What is not opinion is the fact that these rules were clearly stated in the contract that he signed, and thus he knew that he was breaking the contractual agreement when he took the $$$ under the table.

That makes it unethical.

That makes it stupid, considering what he was giving up to break the agreement.

I'd love for you to sign a contract, break it, and then tell the court, "Yah. I signed it. But it was a stupid contract."

:good!:

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think anything will come of this, I just think butch suspended him for a game as punishment and to show he will not tolerate this sort of activity.

No. Jesus would forgive him and move on. Not like these sanctimonious tools who want to keep beating him up over it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I guess you missed my post where I said repeatedly:

What he did was wrong.

It showed character to fess up and apologize.

I hope he is reinstated, balls out, and goes to the NFL.

No. Jesus would forgive him and move on. Not like these sanctimonious tools who want to keep beating him up over it.

Oh, and Jesus more than likely would have had him pay back four times the amount he took before declaring "Salvation has come to this house", just like the taxt collector who did just that.

I guess you missed my post where I said repeatedly:

What he did was wrong.

It showed character to fess up and apologize.

I hope he is reinstated, balls out, and goes to the NFL.
I wasn't pointing you out specifically. Plenty of stones being thrown in this thread.

He broke a contract, and by so doing most likely negated the chance at an NFL contract. By breaking the contract, he is losing access to perks that add up to much more monetary value than the $1300. I said it was wrong, and stupid.

I just tried to buy lunch with perks and it didn't go over very well. I have yet to hear back from my mortgage company as to whether they accept perks but will report back when I do

1)No evidence he didn't.

Bull! Regardless of whether you think they'd be "dirt poor" there are still rules they have to abide by, in order to maintain eligibility. Why put yourself in the position of ruining your college career, over what is a pretty paltry sum of money? You have no evidence he was feeding his kid or wife and could have just bought two pairs of Jordan's and a tattoo for all we know. The point is you have to be smarter than that, if you want to play college football, play by the rules, or risk the consequences, and if you choose not to, at least be intelligent enough to not leave a trail of bread crumbs.

So based on Mo admitting he was at fault, is it safe to assume Bama, Miss State are also in real trouble?

Anyone have a clue what our punishment may end up being? A bowl ban or scholarship reduction could easily be a death penalty to Butch and this staff trying to rebuild!

Bama turning over those National Championship Trophies?

Maybe it all just goes away

He didn't break a law...these are arbitrary rules the NCAA has placed in their rulebook about amateurism so they don't have to pay taxes.

It is a joke.

Still a rule.

Someone getting 20 years for selling "X" amount of drugs is dumb also, but ya know what, if you don't sell drugs, you don't go to jail, and in this case, if you don't take money, you don't get ruled ineligible.

VN Store

Back