Maurice Couch Tweet

He has a wife and kid as far as I know, and per NCAA rules he can't work to support them, even in the off season. Some decisions aren't as easy as they seem. This has happened all across college sports and continues to happen. If a scout thinks you're good enough to go pro, they'll spot you some cash. Just the way it is. No need to rush to sanctimonious judgment of any of these athletes. Sure they typically do get away with it, and I'm sure some take it just because they can, but others may actually need it. Who knows.

I call shenanigans. Please provide the NCAA rule # that specifies this.

taking care of his family is never the wrong thing

When it breaks the law yes it is. I don't think the 1350 made or broke him financially so why take it? If he was that deep financially, pull a Fluker and accept $45,000.

It's simple, don't accept money that you know could jeopardize the image of your program and your lifestyle.

We don't know where any of this money went anyway, so to say it went to his family to make it sound more justifiable is ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 person
Wrong.

I wasn't a D1 football scholarship with a free ride and a hopeful NFL future, but I was a young, broke father. I never stole or dealt drugs to feed my kids. I worked 2-3 jobs, lived within our means, and applied myself sacrificially to improving myself.

I knew that a father in jail wouldn't provide for her better than someone who did it the right way. Couch knew that:

Making himself ineligible would threaten his education.

It would threaten his future NFL career.

He traded an escape from the cycle of poverty for convenience. Period.

I am glad to see him own it and respond like a man. Kudos to Couch.

so you were able to work and earn money. How exactly does Couch do that?

When it breaks the law yes it is. I don't think the 1350 made or broke him financially so why take it? If he was that deep financially, pull a Fluker and accept $45,000.

It's simple, don't accept money that you know could jeopardize the image of your program and your lifestyle.

We don't know where any of this money went anyway, so to say it went to his family to make it sound more justifiable is ridiculous.

good grief he didn't break any laws

Reactions: 4 people
If he really wanted to do what's best for his family, he would create turnovers, sacks, and QB hurry's to increase his NFL stock so he can cash in the right way. Until then, stop taking the shortcuts.

This guy has a nice desk and MacBook via the Gruden Chronicles. He doesn't understand. In essence, Babyavi doesn't get it.

This guy has a nice desk and MacBook via the Gruden Chronicles. He doesn't understand. In essence, Babyavi doesn't get it.

What doesn't he get? That it's ok to take money, threaten (or ruin) your eligibility, hurt your school and teammates, and your potential long term NFL prospects?

I think he "gets it" perfectly, he understands that doing things like this puts your present and future (if it involves football) in serious peril.

eligibility rules. These aren't laws they're rules set by a hypocritical org that runs the sport

It would be one thing if he came out and admitted it was for his starving child.

But we have WIC. So there is no excuse for that and that program is in place to avoid those issues.

If it was for his wife, does she have family? I'm sure she does, so she can get support there.

Children are extremely expensive, no doubting that, but there is no way the money he accepted could make that much of a difference in his portfolio.

I am glad he said something. He sure doesn't have the proper platform to do so, because IMO twitter is terrible way of delivering important news.

eligibility rules. These aren't laws they're rules set by a hypocritical org that runs the sport

Nevertheless, they are still rules that have to be followed. It is just like Marijuana use. I think at this point, most people acknowledge that it isn't like doing Heroin, but we still have laws (rules) that prohibit its use in most of the country, and companies and even universities can set forth rules that you have to abide by, if you want to work there, or go to the school, or play football. People may not LIKE the rules or laws, but we have to abide by them in society, or face consequences. Mo took money more than likely, he knew that to be against the rules, and it is going to cost him a lot more than he received.

The guy took money from a person. A very small amount of money. He didn't knife an old lady and steal her purse. If every college athlete that took an improper benefit had to sit out this Saturday then you would have no college football to watch this weekend.

Hope you don't fall off that high horse of yours.

It's not about sitting on a high horse. It's about individual responsibility and accepting the consequences of your own decisions. It's fine that he's apologizing to fans, but he is in this situation because of his decisions only. It's not the NCAA's fault that he decided to start a family as a college student with no money.

VN Store

Back