Maurice Couch Tweet

Didn't take long for morality police to show up. A new VN record.

Couch screwed up, and owned it. Anyone that can't see this as a high character move is an idiot. Unless you happen to be completely perfect, then I say judge away.

Idiots.

Funny, I don't recall wanting our players to abide by NCAA rules so that they maintain their eligibility, being automatic inclusion into the "morality police".

One "high character" move, doesn't make up for a low character move, if that low character move hurts UT Football. I appreciate his apology and said so earlier in the thread, but I don't appreciate people breaking the rules and I'm sure Coach Jones doesn't either.

Lots of people commenting about what they would and wouldn't do for their kids when it is pretty evident they don't have any.

Until you become a father (or mother), you have no idea how you would react to a hypothetical situation involving your child. That connection you share with your kid is something that can't be felt or speculated on until it happens.

Sorry, but unless you are a parent- you have no idea.

And lol at the folks telling to Mo to get a "legitimate job". Really? How is he supposed to do that without violating NCAA rules?

The main one commenting about it is the father of a special needs kid who by definition is living extremely sacrificially to do so. (And I have huge respect for that very reason, if I don't always agree with him.) You really need to stop reading minds through the internet. It makes you look a bit ridiculous.

"We know you can't provide for your family now... but just hold out for 3-4 years! It will be so worth it then!"

No one is disputing the value of the education he is receiving or the opportunity he being afforded to hopefully make it the NFL.

That doesn't provide for needs immediately. It isn't like he can decide to "pull up his work boots and live the American dream" and go get a job.

Something needs to change.

I agree, something does need to change, I am right there with you, but taking money and potentially ruining your eligibility helps no one. As others have said, if he needed help there are any number of avenues he could have explored to get assistance without resorting to what he did.

Reactions: 1 person
It's strange, the folks that usually play the "high horse" card are usually the ones that are looking up out of the horse crap.

No, the ones that play the high horse card don't have their head up their butt. I know not a single person is perfect, so don't act like you are on an anonymous message board.

I may not agree with jblank on some of his opinions- but he does bring up a valid point.

Just because he is married and has a kid doesn't mean the money went to some noble cause either to feed his family or whatnot.

Out of curiosity... what options does he have to legitimately provide for his family that doesn't violate NCAA rules? I honestly do not know and people have said there are ways. I am just curious what he can do if he really did need money to pay bills/feed family/etc.

EDIT: NM, been answered.

I agree, something does need to change, I am right there with you, but taking money and potentially ruining your eligibility helps no one. As others have said, if he needed help there are any number of avenues he could have explored to get assistance without resorting to what he did.

I agree.

You chastising him for mistakes in life is sitting on a high horse. Unless you never made a mistake, don't throw that stone.

I've made a boatload of mistakes as has everyone. But when I do, I don't expect accolades for "owning it" or "manning up" simply because I apologized. I hope the best for Couch and his family, but it just seems we're going a little overboard with the VN high fives. No big deal.

Reactions: 2 people
I've made a boatload of mistakes as has everyone. But when I do, I don't expect accolades for "owning it" or "manning up" simply because I apologized. I hope the best for Couch and his family, but it just seems we're going a little overboard with the VN high fives. No big deal.

I don't see where Couch wanted accolades, he apologized and people thanked him for it. Then stones started flying.

Shame on us for wanting our players to abide by NCAA rules so that they can run through the "T" and represent the school we love every Saturday in the fall.

How dare we want that.

Difference in being disappointed in the mistake and what some in this thread are doing. Some of the comments have been out there, especially the ones about what he should or shouldn't have done in his life outside of football.

You chastising him for mistakes in life is sitting on a high horse.

Him chatising couch for making mistakes is proclaiming a certain moral outlook, which is the same thing that you are doing for chastising him for chastising Couch. (You are professing the moral outlook that it's wrong for him to profess his moral outlook. So, in your argument, you are on a moral high horse concerning his moral high horse. Do you see the hypocrisy of your own?)

Fade is making a moral/ethical statement. Societies crumble when no one is willing to chastise others about moral/ethical concerns.

Unless you never made a mistake, don't throw that stone

It's interesting that you quote the "cast the first stone" story to try to convince us all to ignore moral failings. The guy who said that, Jesus, followed it up with the instruction to the woman to "go and sin no more". The stones would have killed her. I don't think fade is up for killing Couch. But it's OK to call sin for what it is and not make excuses for it, or call it OK.

I do not disagree.

But the difference here is that we see repeatedly with college football players, and their programs, that there is a tendency to lie low and hope things blow over, to duck the issue, to dodge responsibility. To deny even when it is painfully obvious that the allegation is true.

See e.g. Manziel and Texas A & M.

Or look at the way Alabama is reacting to their players' involvement.

Yes, its wrong and he shouldn't have done it, and he does not deserve credit for having done it. But it is just refreshing to see a player, and the UT coaches, admit it and try to deal with it than pretend it did not happen.

Reactions: 3 people
We are only 10 pages in and we just got a small exegesis on a story from the gospels. This thread has potential.

Difference in being disappointed in the mistake and what some in this thread are doing. Some of the comments have been out there, especially the ones about what he should or shouldn't have done in his life outside of football.

And yet I read comments all the time in here criticizing some of our past players for their behavior "outside of football". What makes this different? I appreciate his apology, I really do, I mean that, but many of us being critical are being so because this entire thing was avoidable.

Shame on us for wanting our players to abide by NCAA rules so that they can run through the "T" and represent the school we love every Saturday in the fall.

How dare we want that.
has never happened and will never happen as long as CFB is big business. Only (alleged) difference between Couch and thousands before him is there was a paper trail

via Twitter:

@MoTrilla44: I want to apologize to everyone from my family,teammates, n the Volnation. Im sorry I let u guys down. #orangeswarm #beattheducks #117

I'm sorry too Mo, but you let yourself down. We sure could use you man. I believe a lot of us here were sure pulling for you. Well, I wish you the best.
GO VOLS!

I call shenanigans. Please provide the NCAA rule # that specifies this.

Its long...here you go. They can work...up to two grand a year. Live on that, I dare ya lol:

NEW Academic Year Student-Athlete Employment*A new NCAA rule permits a Division I student-athlete to earn legitimate on- and off-campus employment income during semester or term time, provided such income in combination with other financial aid included in the student-athleteís individual limit does not exceed the value of a full grant plus $2,000, provided:*A) The student-athlete has spent one academic year in residence at the certifying institution prior to working; and**B) The student-athlete is eligible academically to compete for the institution.Further, prior to commencement of employment, the student-athlete and the employer must sign a written statement to be kept on file in the athletics department which specifies the following:*A) The student-athlete may not receive any remuneration for the value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame or personal following he or she has obtained because of athletics ability;**B) The student-athlete is to be compensated only for work actually performed; and**C) The student-athlete is to be compensated at a rate commensurate with the going rate in the locality for similar services.In addition, a student-athlete who satisfies the above-mentioned conditions may receive on- or off-campus employment earnings up to $2,000 gross without considering such aid to be institutional aid, provided the employment (other than employment in the institutionís recreational sports unit) is not in the athletics department.* All employment earnings from work in the athletic department or athletic facilities are considered institutional aid.Full Scholarship Student-Athletes*Full scholarship student-athletes who have met the above criteria may earn $2,000 gross during any academic year and are prohibited from working for the Department of Athletics or in athletics facilities.* You may work for the institutionís recreational sports unit.Partial Scholarship Student-Athletes*Partial scholarship student-athletes who have met the above criteria may earn up to $2,000 gross in combination with other financial aid included in their individual limit up to the value of a full grant.* You may work for the institutionís recreational sports unit.Entering Freshmen and*First-Year Transfer Student-Athletes*All entering freshmen and first-year transfer student-athletes may receive legitimate employment earnings during the academic year in combination with other financial aid included in the student-athleteís limit only up to the value of a full grant-in-aid.* You may work for the institutionís recreational sports unit.*

I think the important lesson we are missing here is that posting a confession tweet is worth an easy 50 likes.

VN Store

Back