Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet

So turning back serious for a moment in this thread.

How hard is it to fly a 777 with a single pilot?

Easy.

You could get from point A to point B VFR with a couple of weeks training. An ILS approach would make you look like a pro.

Doing it safely and competently in IFR conditions with a visual approach without sh**ing your pants takes years.

Easy.

You could get from point A to point B VFR with a couple of weeks training. An ILS approach would make you look like a pro.

Doing it safely and competently in IFR conditions with a visual approach without sh**ing your pants takes years.

I was wondering if the pilot or copilot might have been acting alone. And wondering how much of a technical monster the plane might be to fly solo.

Apparently the Australians think they might have found something. Just came across on the news, but no exact location yet, but I get the impression it was somewhat close to the continent.

ETA: Possibly west of Perth.

what happened in Cali?

A few snipers took out critical components at various transformer stations and injured the electrical grid.

Scary stuff if this was a dry run for something bigger, a relatively small group of people could take down huge swaths of the grid causing chaos.

Australia may have some pieces of a plane spotted in the ocean by satellite imagery & military aircraft have been diverted to the area to attempt to locate the objects. Stay tuned for further details at this time.

Australian P.M warning it may not be related to Malaysian plane. Malaysian Military saying it will take time. New information is about to come out as. PC is about to take place.

If this is it, I bet the cable news folks are bummed out. They have really been goin nuts. The last couple of days I couldn't tell if I was watchin the news or Ancient Aliens.

A few snipers took out critical components at various transformer stations and injured the electrical grid.

Scary stuff if this was a dry run for something bigger, a relatively small group of people could take down huge swaths of the grid causing chaos.

I think it was one or more snipers at only one station. They took out several transformers at that one facility. No brown-out or black-out, and no other part of the grid was damaged, AFAIK.

Well, the Australians are being pretty forthcoming with what they know. Nice change of affairs from what we have been getting.

Weather over the sighting area isn't good though, so no telling when more info will come in.

Well, the Australians are being pretty forthcoming with what they know. Nice change of affairs from what we have been getting.

Weather over the sighting area isn't good though, so no telling when more info will come in.

25 meters is roughly a 1/3 of the Triple 7. Don't know something that large would make it past impact. It's possible though. At least we're getting somewhere.

They are idiots. You go down there to disconnect cables thats all. All of the circuit breakers are in the cockpit. There is a checklist of breakers that have to be pulled before takeoff and after landing. I've never been on a plane (and Ive been on a bunch) that didnt have a circuit breaker up there. The pilots have to be able to pull power to anything from up there in case of fire, malfunction, etc. Hell you have to be able to pull all breakers when fueling the plane up. Equipment bays are not large..they are small and suck a fat one to work in. A pilot knowing what to disable equipment wise is highly suspect as well..this isn't a poorly researched Hollywood movie.

Some pieces of equipment have their own circuit breakers on them (I remember radios having them) but it was just redundancy.

I could be wrong but I highly doubt that with over 8 years of aircraft avionics experience on more high tech stuff than a 777.

I can answer most questions about aircraft avionics and ground based surveillance/com/navigation. It's what I do for a living.

Just curious. In that CNN video I linked they specifically point out a"box sized", blue circuit breaker and say it's what controls the cabin pressure, further saying that you could simply unscrew the two bolts at the bottom and slide the unit out. Could that really be all it would take to depressurize the cabin? They didn't say that but I was just wondering.

Actually, I think they can land themselves as well.

But I suppose the more specific question is can this aircraft be operated under normal conditions by one person or is it complicated enough that it would require two people?

My conspiracy theory? That copilot looks shady as hell.

I am betting the co-pilot, in the basement, with the HEAD stewardess.

Are Australian satellites better than Chinese ones?

What kind of plane debris that is 24 metres long is going to float for days?

_73694269_digo_00718_01_14.jpg

In before conspiracy theory that the debris was planted by Al Qaeda and the real plane is being hidden for use as a bomb later.

You have eliminated the idea that this thing might still be intact somewhere in Pakistan?

I've said from the start that I think it's in the drink myself, but the longer they search, the more I begin to wonder if its not in terrorist hands.

Reactions: 1 person
Just curious. In that CNN video I linked they specifically point out a"box sized", blue circuit breaker and say it's what controls the cabin pressure, further saying that you could simply unscrew the two bolts at the bottom and slide the unit out. Could that really be all it would take to depressurize the cabin? They didn't say that but I was just wondering.

Anything that you can unscrew and remove will also be safety wired down. That helps keep the LRU's (line replaceable units) from moving during flight and usually from being tampered with as well. The safety wire is attached to the thumbscrews that hold the LRU down in a fashion that makes it impossible to turn the bolts or thumbscrews and remove the object.
ex from a car:
Safety_wiring_-_Jaguar_rear_subframe.jpg

You can see if you attempt to remove a bolt (lefty loosey!) you won't be able too.

I used to use pretty thick braids of safety wire when doing my work. The pilots would have to have a good wire cutter available to remove it and unless their security is super terrible I don't see how they would get it on the plane. Pilots and aircrew go through the same security checkpoints that passengers do.

You have eliminated the idea that this thing might still be intact somewhere in Pakistan?

I've said from the start that I think it's in the drink myself, but the longer they search, the more I begin to wonder if its not in terrorist hands.

I'm saying that there are people who so desperately want this to be Islamic terrorism that if the plane were found, intact, with all the bodies on board, at the bottom of the ocean, they'd still claim it was a fake and that the real plane is being held for use later.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm saying that there are people who so desperately want this to be Islamic terrorism that if the plane were found, intact, with all the bodies on board, they'd still claim it was a fake and that the real plane is being held for use later.

What difference does it make?

I'm saying that there are people who so desperately want this to be Islamic terrorism that if the plane were found, intact, with all the bodies on board, at the bottom of the ocean, they'd still claim it was a fake and that the real plane is being held for use later.

This was/is an act of terrorism. Plain and simple. Islamic? I don't know. But they just didn't go for a joy ride LG.

You really should see a doctor. There is something seriously wrong with you.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back