Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet

Safety_wiring_-_Jaguar_rear_subframe.jpg

You can see if you attempt to remove a bolt (lefty loosey!) you won't be able too.

I used to use pretty thick braids of safety wire when doing my work. .

Can't tell you how many times I've been stabbed from pigtails not properly turned back in like this pic.

Reactions: 1 person
I was wondering if the pilot or copilot might have been acting alone. And wondering how much of a technical monster the plane might be to fly solo.

Apparently the Australians think they might have found something. Just came across on the news, but no exact location yet, but I get the impression it was somewhat close to the continent.

ETA: Possibly west of Perth.

The Delta pilot I know told me a story of when he was a First officer on a 757, the PIC was a female. They had a problem with the autopilot so at they ended up having to hand fly for a good portion of the flight. The PIC couldn't keep the plane steady so he had to take over.

Apparently hand flying one of these monsters is pretty tough. At least to keep it level and smooth.

I'm saying that there are people who so desperately want this to be Islamic terrorism that if the plane were found, intact, with all the bodies on board, at the bottom of the ocean, they'd still claim it was a fake and that the real plane is being held for use later.

I'm not sure anyone is "desperate" for this to be a terror attack. I get what you're saying though, there are ignorant people out there with conspiracy theories. You've beat that horse to death already. Lets move past that.

Point is, the longer it remains missing, the more speculation arises as to its potential condition and whereabouts. We live in that world now and that skeptisim is right and just all things considered. I'm no tin foil hat wearer, but you surely have to ponder the possibilities because, many of them are, in fact, legit scenarios.

I'm not sure anyone is "desperate" for this to be a terror attack. I get what you're saying though, there are ignorant people out there with conspiracy theories. You've beat that horse to death already. Lets move past that.

Point is, the longer it remains missing, the more speculation arises as to its potential condition and whereabouts. We live in that world now and that skeptisim is right and just all things considered. I'm no tin foil hat wearer, but you surely have to ponder the possibilities because, many of them are, in fact, legit scenarios.

Me move past it? With roughly every fourth post in this thread reiterating my point?

You have to have a filter LG. I know you take a lot of crap here, but eventually, you should be able to ignore it & have a reasonable conversation. If I can do it regarding football, you ought to be able to in politics.

You have to have a filter LG. I know you take a lot of crap here, but eventually, you should be able to ignore it & have a reasonable conversation. If I can do it regarding football, you ought to be able to in politics.

He's a troll. He deserves everything he gets.

Reactions: 2 people

Yeah, but UT doesn't play A&M and you beat Bama your first year, so you get a pass on the football thing.

I'm not sure it's me that would benefit from the filter.

Clearly, this has to be the work of the Ultimate Warrior. He threatened to take down Hulk Hogan's plane years ago. The search should be turned to Parts Unknown immediately.

Those would stab you. I always bent mine in to prevent stabbing. That sh!t hurt.

Pigtails in the picture are clearly not spec. Pigtails are required by spec to be a certain length and looped over to touch the fastener that they are securing. The single most important reason for this is to prevent vibration from breaking the pigtail off and foding the engine. I don't know about elsewhere on the airframe.

Pigtails in the picture are clearly not spec. Pigtails are required by spec to be a certain length and looped over to touch the fastener that they are securing. The single most important reason for this is to prevent vibration from breaking the pigtail off and foding the engine. I don't know about elsewhere on the airframe.

True! The picture I used was from a jaguar though.

Anything that you can unscrew and remove will also be safety wired down. That helps keep the LRU's (line replaceable units) from moving during flight and usually from being tampered with as well. The safety wire is attached to the thumbscrews that hold the LRU down in a fashion that makes it impossible to turn the bolts or thumbscrews and remove the object.

LRU's on the planes I worked on were not safetied. I'd be surprised if they were on 777s.

Panels in the cockpit were held in place by 1/4 turn dzus fasteners. Didn't even need a screwdriver. Just push and turn with your thumb. LRUs were pushed in place and screwed tight by hand.

LRU's on the planes I worked on were not safetied. I'd be surprised if they were on 777s.

Panels in the cockpit were held in place by 1/4 turn dzus fasteners. Didn't even need a screwdriver. Just push and turn with your thumb. LRUs were pushed in place and screwed tight by hand.

True, there are several options to safety wire now. In fact, I am pretty sure it is considered "legacy" now.

no. Whatever do you mean?:whistling:

Your mod-like powers don't impress! I know how to move posts in vBulletin as well lol

But on the subject the reporting on this has become slightly absurd on CNN. That guy is a Murrow Award recipient as well and I just cannot comprehend how he is buying into this.

Yeah the panels were those lovely 1/4 turns..always appreciated them. I am surprised that nothing was safety wired. Everything I worked on (Comm/Nav/RADAR/FLIR) was safety wired. Must be an Air Force thing..

VN Store

Back