MMA Thread

Things I learned last night.....

- Joe Rogan is an MMA Elitist/*******. He basically just called the new fans of the sport, and the ones that want to see action, "a bunch of drunken airheads", and that "true MMA fans enjoyed the fight between Fisher and Uno, because of the canceling out of styles". Look, that wasn't a boring fight to me at least, but that kind of message sends out the wrong turn to the new fans of the sport.

- Cro Cop is never going to fight in the UFC again. Right after the fight, Cro Cop signed a deal with Japanese promotion, DREAM. Dana White, as usual, used a lot of cursing to describe the situation.

- Cheick Kongo got annihilated, and Cain Velasquez might be one of the best prospects to ever come in the UFC. Cain was cold, calculating, and unstoppable.

- Wanderlei Silva is going to do some things at 185 despite the loss. The catchweight bout featured two of the most liked fighters in the sport today, and Rich won the unanimous decision, although the fight was closer than the judges scorecards said.

All in all, not a bad PPV, considering the card. I can't say I was terribly disappointed.

On to UFC 100 in July.

I thought this card as a whole was more entertaining than UFC 98. The first fight was very good and back and forth. I think that Dan Hardy did beat Davis though just from how I saw it. It was a solid back and forth for the most part though.

I thought the Cro Cop/al Turk fight was entertaining for what it was. That poke was pretty severe though and I can't believe the ref didn't see that. Of course now Cro Cop burns all bridges with the UFC by immediately signing a contract with Dream in Japan and Dana goes off on him after the card. Classic...

Swick/Saunders wasn't quite as good as I thought it would be coming in but it wasn't a bad fight.

The Silva/Franklin fight was awesome IMO. Those two were really throwing it all out there at the end of the last round. Good fight all around. I thought Franklin was going to pick him apart but Silva got some good shots in to keep things interesting. I could watch those two fight again and again.

Things I learned last night.....

- Joe Rogan is an MMA Elitist/*******. He basically just called the new fans of the sport, and the ones that want to see action, "a bunch of drunken airheads", and that "true MMA fans enjoyed the fight between Fisher and Uno, because of the canceling out of styles". Look, that wasn't a boring fight to me at least, but that kind of message sends out the wrong turn to the new fans of the sport.

- Cro Cop is never going to fight in the UFC again. Right after the fight, Cro Cop signed a deal with Japanese promotion, DREAM. Dana White, as usual, used a lot of cursing to describe the situation.

- Cheick Kongo got annihilated, and Cain Velasquez might be one of the best prospects to ever come in the UFC. Cain was cold, calculating, and unstoppable.

- Wanderlei Silva is going to do some things at 185 despite the loss. The catchweight bout featured two of the most liked fighters in the sport today, and Rich won the unanimous decision, although the fight was closer than the judges scorecards said.

All in all, not a bad PPV, considering the card. I can't say I was terribly disappointed.

On to UFC 100 in July.

He better hope to God that he doesn't fight Carwin, Couture, Nogueria, Mir, or Lesnar anytime soon. If Kongo wouldn't have fought like an idiot, he could have beaten Velasquez. He's a solid fighter now, but he needs to improve considerably if he expects to be the champion.

i got a feeling that Sanchez v Guida is gonna be a really good fight.

very exciting fight. as much as i hate Sanchez, he looked great. he also looked healthy. looked gaunt when he fought Stephenson. if Guida could have survived that initial flurry and got the fight to the mat, i think he would have dominated. i thought he was dead when he took that kick to the head, though. amazing chin and heart. i think Sanchez/ Florian 2 would be a good fight.

very exciting fight. as much as i hate Sanchez, he looked great. he also looked healthy. looked gaunt when he fought Stephenson. if Guida could have survived that initial flurry and got the fight to the mat, i think he would have dominated. i thought he was dead when he took that kick to the head, though. amazing chin and heart. i think Sanchez/ Florian 2 would be a good fight.

How? Holding him for 3 rounds? Sanchez was doing more damage from the bottom that Guida was from the top when they were on the ground.

That being said, Penn is going to stomp a mudhole in Florian's @$$.

Side note: Vitor Belfort to the UFC to face Anderson Silva? Could be a possibility.

Im just watching one of the best fights I have seen this year. Clay Guida and Diego Sanchez. I didnt get to see it live the first time.

Im just watching one of the best fights I have seen this year. Clay Guida and Diego Sanchez. I didnt get to see it live the first time.

i love Guida. Sanchez was amazing. i called it awhile back. those two need a second chance at one another.

How? Holding him for 3 rounds? Sanchez was doing more damage from the bottom that Guida was from the top when they were on the ground.

That being said, Penn is going to stomp a mudhole in Florian's @$$.
Side note: Vitor Belfort to the UFC to face Anderson Silva? Could be a possibility.

i dont know about that.... ahhh you maybe right on this one, tank. wrong about Guida, though. he was severely hurt and still managed some offense on an elite fighter.

why does a thread of the most exciting sport, aside football, go so unnoticed??? Fedor, Rampage, Brown, Machida, Lesnar, Ortiz, St Pierre, Henderson, etc. there is so much to talk about. we need to kick this thread up, pissies! get to it!!!

why does a thread of the most exciting sport, aside football, go so unnoticed??? Fedor, Rampage, Brown, Machida, Lesnar, Ortiz, St Pierre, Henderson, etc. there is so much to talk about. we need to kick this thread up, pissies! get to it!!!

Because MMA, while still growing at an amazing rate, still isn't as popular as most sports on here. Heck, I just got into it about a year and a half ago. I believe it was Randy Couture's final fight before he got into it with Dana White.

Because MMA, while still growing at an amazing rate, still isn't as popular as most sports on here. Heck, I just got into it about a year and a half ago. I believe it was Randy Couture's final fight before he got into it with Dana White.

cant knock on that, brah. there are alot of stories and feuds that circulate through the world of mma. very interesting to conversate over.

When is the Lesnar/Mir fight scheduled? Can't wait to see Brock cry like a baby after his arm is broke.

Also, why hasn't Sanchez got a title shot? With victories over Kenny Florian, Nick Diaz, Karo Parisyan, Joe Riggs, Joe Stevenson, and now Clay Guida. I think he deserves it.

I also comment on the Kimbo scenario. That crap is just for ratings. The way Dana White use to talk about that guy should tell you that. That and the fact that Kimbo was involved in the most viewed MMA fight in history. I guess I can understand that. I bet they do exactly what the other program did. That was give him less than average opponents to keep him around for the ratings. I almost gaurantee it. Dana better pray he doesn't get hit on the chin with a jab....

I watched all of the UFC stuff when it first started and they had the 8-16 man tournaments with no weight classes. Looking back, that crap was barbaric and pretty crazy and I'm surprised that the UFC survived and has thrived. Those were the days of me getting free PPV's too. We accidentally discovered a trick that allowed us to watch them free. See, back then you would call the local cable company if you had a box to order Pay Per Views. We had ordered a wrestling PPV and when it was over I unplugged the box until I wanted to order a Pay Per View the next time. Well, the next time I hooked it up and flipped it to the 1 Pay Per View channel that was on the box it was still coming in. I figured out through a little trial and error that they "zapped" the boxes only when they were in the office. So if it was unplugged after a PPV order they could not zap your box. So, I would just wait until about 10 minutes after all the Pay Per View wrestling, boxing, or UFC would start and watch it and then unplug the box as soon as it was over. It worked for 3 years until they changed out their equipment. Dang technology.......

Anyway, since I got to see all of them I was very into the UFC for the first several years. I was actually very disappointed when they went away from the tournament formats and to just weight classes. Of course, after I let my brain actually process it, I figured out that this way is much better. So I was out of the loop for several years save for watching the Tito Ortiz fights when he would be on the card. I got back into MMA about 3 years ago heavier and now I try and watch all of the big cards. I'm not as "up" on it as many of you I'm sure but I try to keep track of what's going on and I'm very interested in MMA.

When you are also a fan of NCAA football, NFL, NASCAR, IRL, dirt track racing, NCAA basketball, golf, MLB, and several others its hard to be on top of everything out there. I stay more on top of racing and football than I do anything else but MMA is probably 3rd or 4th on my list right there with golf.

I have been catching myself browsing the Sherdog site more often than usual to try to keep up with all of the fighters and the news and rumors in MMA.

When is the Lesnar/Mir fight scheduled? Can't wait to see Brock cry like a baby after his arm is broke.

Also, why hasn't Sanchez got a title shot? With victories over Kenny Florian, Nick Diaz, Karo Parisyan, Joe Riggs, Joe Stevenson, and now Clay Guida. I think he deserves it.

I also comment on the Kimbo scenario. That crap is just for ratings. The way Dana White use to talk about that guy should tell you that. That and the fact that Kimbo was involved in the most viewed MMA fight in history. I guess I can understand that. I bet they do exactly what the other program did. That was give him less than average opponents to keep him around for the ratings. I almost gaurantee it. Dana better pray he doesn't get hit on the chin with a jab....

Lesnar-Mir 2 is scheduled for July 11. I doubt Lesnar gets caught again. Mir caught a huge break in the first fight when the referee stood both men up after controversial "punches to the back of the head." Lesnar dominated the entire fight, except for getting caught in a kneebar. Chalk that up to inexperience.

I believe Sanchez is guaranteed to fight the winner of Penn-Florian. However that turns out (my money is on Penn) will make for an interesting fight.

As for Kimbo, I don't blame Dana White one bit. You have to keep in mind he is a businessman, and bringing in arguably one of the most popular MMA fighters of all time, (check the ratings) is a smart move. Not to mention, even when Dana White was talking crap about Kimbo, he said the only way he would ever fight in the UFC is if he fought his way through a season of TUF. Now, that last part could be all BS.

-This could go down one of three ways IMO.

First, the season is set up for Kimbo to win the whole thing. Since Joe Silva and Dana White mostly have all say in who is picked for the show, I could see them picking guys who they know for certain can't take a punch, much less beat Kimbo Slice. A little far fetched theory, but who knows.

Second, I could see Kimbo getting kicked off the show for some altercation in the house. The reason why? Kimbo is matched up with someone who could beat him. This makes the most sense to me, personally. Kimbo doesn't get beat on the show, which means he has a good shot to be on the TUF finale, which means huge ratings, and/or a fight in a UFC PPV. The UFC could have the potential here to have the highest grossing PPV of all time. Don't believe me? Look at the ratings again for the Elite XC shows on CBS.

And the last scenario could be the most far fetched of them all. Kimbo Slice is brought to TUF to lose. That's right. Kimbo is brought in, and he gets a mudhole stomped in his ass in his first fight. Why do this? To show viewers out there that the only real organization for MMA is the UFC, and that fighters in other organizations have no chance against UFC talent. This could, although unlikely, play out to see top fighters from other organizations come to the UFC to test that idea, which means huge paydays and more publicity for the UFC.

i got a feeling that Sanchez v Guida is gonna be a really good fight.

That fight was AWESOME.

I was started to get bored with UFC and was beginning to believe boxing had better events, after the Pac vs Hatton fight and the last couple of Anderson Silva fights. Silva was suppose to be the best pound for pound in UFC.

But wow, was that Guida/Sanchez fight intense.

Lesnar-Mir 2 is scheduled for July 11. I doubt Lesnar gets caught again. Mir caught a huge break in the first fight when the referee stood both men up after controversial "punches to the back of the head." Lesnar dominated the entire fight, except for getting caught in a kneebar. Chalk that up to inexperience.

I believe Sanchez is guaranteed to fight the winner of Penn-Florian. However that turns out (my money is on Penn) will make for an interesting fight.

As for Kimbo, I don't blame Dana White one bit. You have to keep in mind he is a businessman, and bringing in arguably one of the most popular MMA fighters of all time, (check the ratings) is a smart move. Not to mention, even when Dana White was talking crap about Kimbo, he said the only way he would ever fight in the UFC is if he fought his way through a season of TUF. Now, that last part could be all BS.

-This could go down one of three ways IMO.

First, the season is set up for Kimbo to win the whole thing. Since Joe Silva and Dana White mostly have all say in who is picked for the show, I could see them picking guys who they know for certain can't take a punch, much less beat Kimbo Slice. A little far fetched theory, but who knows.

Second, I could see Kimbo getting kicked off the show for some altercation in the house. The reason why? Kimbo is matched up with someone who could beat him. This makes the most sense to me, personally. Kimbo doesn't get beat on the show, which means he has a good shot to be on the TUF finale, which means huge ratings, and/or a fight in a UFC PPV. The UFC could have the potential here to have the highest grossing PPV of all time. Don't believe me? Look at the ratings again for the Elite XC shows on CBS.

And the last scenario could be the most far fetched of them all. Kimbo Slice is brought to TUF to lose. That's right. Kimbo is brought in, and he gets a mudhole stomped in his ass in his first fight. Why do this? To show viewers out there that the only real organization for MMA is the UFC, and that fighters in other organizations have no chance against UFC talent. This could, although unlikely, play out to see top fighters from other organizations come to the UFC to test that idea, which means huge paydays and more publicity for the UFC.

I agree with pretty much all of what you said. However, I don't see them eliminating Kimbo to show that the UFC is supreme. They want new viewers, and Kimbo offers them a rare opportunity; having one of the most well known fighters of the modern day to willingly fight against people that most non-MMA people view as scrubs compared to Kimbo. Now, most of us that are into the sport know different about Mr. Slice, but it's all about ratings.

So, in conclusion, I'd be shocked if he doesn't win the whole thing, or at least participate in the final fight.

IMHO what is Dana gonna do with Kimbo other than get some mileage from TUF ,could you see him fighting against someone like Mir or Lesnar?He would get absolutely murdered,He's a street fighter he would not stand a chance with what I've seen from him,I sure hope he's gotten a whole lot better .......

As far as UFC goes I think they have some very interesting cards upcoming besides this much anticipated 100. In fact, I think that UFC 101 will be just as interesting with the two Main Event matches...

BJ Penn vs Kenny Florian
Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin

They also have a pretty solid main card for UFC 101

Heck right now 102 is shaping up to have a few very interesting matches. To finally see Couture vs Big Nog will be fun even though it would have been a true dream match just 3 years ago. Then you have Thiago Silva vs Keith Jardine which should be fun. They just have a good card all around at 102 with the rest of the undercard being Chris Leben vs Jake Rosholt, Demian Maia vs Nate Marquardt, and Brandon Vera vs Matt Hamill.

Oh, and FYI they are running the 100 Greatest UFC Matches of All Time right now on Spike all week. The first episode is being replayed right now and a new one at 9:00. They go all week until they get to number one Saturday night. I did see something that was disappointing though - the guys on the "outs" with UFC wasn't eligible to have some of their matches voted for. The war between Ortiz and Frank Shamrock is not eligible because both guys are on the outs which is stupid. They really need to acknowledge their history a bit better than trying to do this revisionist history stuff.

To be honest, I thought that the greatest UFC fights list being fan voted was a piece of crap. Most of your true fans that could tell you most everything about those fights are far outnumbered now by retards who just 1 year ago thought that Kimbo Slice would beat Brock Lesnar in an MMA fight.

Oh, and UFC 107 will have Rampage Jackson going against Rashad Evans. In Memphis. At the FedEx Forum.

That's the fight I'm most looking forward to after UFC 100. That, and Anderson Silva vs. Forest Griffin at UFC 101.

Things I learned - UFC 100 edition

- Good Card overall, but not the blockbuster I was expecting.

- Akiyama has a bright future in MMA, and in the UFC. Heard Rogan say that Belcher was robbed. Not really. I had the fight scored(I use my own scoring system first off) 5-4, 5-4, and he lost the 3rd 5-4. He won that fight. However, whoever gave him a 30-27 decision needs to have their eyes examined.

- Henderson landed, easily one of the finest knockouts I've ever seen in an MMA fight. You know you got effed up when you have to ask, "What Happened" after you get KO'd.

- The GSP-Alves fight was an utter borefest. GSP was just so dominant in that fight that it got boring fast.

- Brock Lesnar is turning the MMA world upside down, and I love it. "Well, he only fought 2 fights in the MMA before being given a title opportunity". "Well he's just a WWE guy that only knows fake fighting". "Dana White is an idiot for giving Lesnar a title opportunity". I knew that Brock wasn't going to fight stupid this time. He literally pounded Mir's face to a bloody pulp. It was just so awesome to watch, and that flipoff to the crowd afterwards made that win even better for me to watch.

- Good card, but I really wanted to see that Bonnar-Coleman fight. Or the Dolloway-Lawlor fight. Oh well, on to UFC 101 in Philly.

VN Store

Back