'24 MO DL Williams Nwaneri (Mizzou commit)

From what was stated, it's only contingent on them committing to an in-state school. No idea what happens if they commit, collect money, then sign elsewhere. If that scenario were to happen, that could challenge the Constitutionality of that law as well. It'll be interesting to watch.

Ultimately, it seems like a ploy by the state to strong arm homegrown talent into staying home.
Dinkywick actually went to the state capitol and lobbied the legislature and was present for the vote. You know, the guy who said that NIL was immoral because some of these "kids" would make more than his brother-in-law the doctor "who saves lives." And never mind Dinkywick's own fat salary for being a loser!

The guy is a clown. He was also one lobbying the NCAA to make us forfeit whatshisname's wins. So he could at least technically, in retrospect, and on paper, not be less than cornpone. 🤡🤡🤡

Dinkywick actually went to the state capitol and lobbied the legislature and was present for the vote. You know, the guy who said that NIL was immoral because some of these "kids" would make more than his brother-in-law the doctor "who saves lives." And never mind Dinkywick's own fat salary for being a loser!

The guy is a clown. He was also one lobbying the NCAA to make us forfeit whatshisname's wins. So he could at least technically, in retrospect, at least, not be less than cornpone. 🤡🤡🤡
He may be a hypocrite, but getting a law passed that benefits him is not dumb. I'll give him that much. Not sure why every state wouldn't pass such a law if Mizzou's gets tested and stands. Give every home state the advantage.

He may be a hypocrite, but getting a law passed that benefits him is not dumb. I'll give him that much. Not sure why every state wouldn't pass such a law if Mizzou's gets tested and stands. Give every home state the advantage.
I think high schoolers can get paid in a lot of states (Cali with Nico) (and I think in our state now). As for the instate-only stipulation, I don't see how it could pass muster if challenged because of the commerce clause. But I'm not really keen to see everything litigated.

And I'm not sure that the whole country copycatting Mizzou's in-state only arrangement would be a net positive for us. We kept everyone in Tennessee except Jefferson. I don't think it would have changed AJ's case.

Anyway, there is something wrong with the picture that Nwaneri would rather grab some extra cash a few months early than be part of the Vols team that wins it all -- which I think he could be. I suspect he will take the bag, then transfer. I wouldn't mind seeing Dinkywick crying about it. For some reason, I'm not overwrought about this. It's Nwaneri's decision to make. He may even pick the Okies, for all I know.

Blow the bulk of your budget on one 5* and surround him with a bunch of low ranked guys like Missouri is trying to do, or spread those $$$ out for several 4* guys? Tell me which roster is better. Missouri is hoping the publicity of landing a 5* will attract more top players, but they won't have enough money to pay anyone else to ignore the bad product they're selling.
I mean, I would hope we have a bit bigger budget than Mizzu to where opening up the checkbook for one recruit wouldn’t dramatically limit the rest of our class. This is the University of Tennessee.

the issue is we have 0 consensus 4* DL’s committed. Rushing chose Arizona, Franklin isn’t coming here and neither is Williams per his recent crystal balls. Hopefully we land Ross - otherwise this DL class is going to be really underwhelming.

Reactions: WOKI and Volfan1000
If you look at the state of Missouri's Top 10, not a one is currently committed to Mizzou. Just seems interesting given this new law. No one else is currently collecting the money.
This is what people mean when they say they think Dinkywick is putting all of his dinky chips on one player for vanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaxon_Vol2017
This is what people mean when they say they think Dinkywick is putting all of his dinky chips on one player for vanity.
For someone who is supposed to be an "offensive mind", you'd think Drink would have gone all in on Wingo and Reddell. Nwaneri isn't going to suddenly fix their defense.

It's not missing if you choose not to engage in the bidding war(s). If the prospect places more value on "now", and some do, then what you may offer in total value, it simply may not resonate. And if that's the case, then so be it.

We had a coach, or two, here that was good at that (selling 'now'). And not much else.

So if Franklin winds up at Miami or auburn, and Williams at Mizzou... I'm gonna feel relatively sure as to why, and it will not change my opinions on their recruitment by Tennessee. O/t out bidding I don't think you can say Tennessee didn't handle these recruitments very well.

If they wind up here (or UGA, Bama, OSU etc...) then it actually does more to change my opinion of how they treated their decision making process.

We're competing for and winning enough recruiting battles against elite programs now, that it is hard for me say WE flat out miss any more.
You don't know if it was a bidding war or not. We could have just missed, and that's okay. But it is a bit concerning we're missing on all of our perceived top targets. Nobody is freaking out about it.

As much as I think Drink is in over his head at Mizzou, I do think Mizzou stands to benefit from the SEC expansion. I'm sure some of their fanbase has lost interest playing in the SEC East for the last decade. They have had the disadvantage of mostly playing a schedule of teams that were a bit distant from their school. Or in the least, teams that are probably not well supported in Missouri. Now they will get the opportunity of playing Oklahoma, Texas, and other teams that currently play in the SEC West. Maybe their fanbase begins to wake back up. Who knows? They still don't worry me and they have a long way to go. But it could be good for the conference as a whole for them to improve.

Reactions: Volfan1000
From what was stated, it's only contingent on them committing to an in-state school. No idea what happens if they commit, collect money, then sign elsewhere. If that scenario were to happen, that could challenge the Constitutionality of that law as well. It'll be interesting to watch.

Ultimately, it seems like a ploy by the state to strong arm homegrown talent into staying home.
They have to sign a grant- in- aid agreement with a state school to start receiving NIL. This essentially moves early signing day to Sept. 1, but only for players in the state of Missouri for signing with an in state school. I just don't see how this doesn't violate NCAA regulations.

Last edited:
Yeah apparently you can’t win without a top 2 class. We might as well stop coaching, developing, scheming, and even playing the games. Just recruit and award the playoffs and NY6 bowl victories according to 4 year average recruiting rankings.

You can’t win national championships without top 2 classes.

I mean, I would hope we have a bit bigger budget than Mizzu to where opening up the checkbook for one recruit wouldn’t dramatically limit the rest of our class. This is the University of Tennessee.

the issue is we have 0 consensus 4* DL’s committed. Rushing chose Arizona, Franklin isn’t coming here and neither is Williams per his recent crystal balls. Hopefully we land Ross - otherwise this DL class is going to be really underwhelming.
They’re throwing their entire nil at one player.

Here are a few facts. Coaches are extremely happy with our current depth, and talent on campus at DL. Always need a DE.

We have two DL committed, and it seems like in this defense we want DL to stop the run, and linebackers blitz. Again, that's my take.

We could lose quite a bit next season. So we will have to look for portal. But, we really only need two additional HS DL, and rest from portal. This is just my informed opinion, from listening to talking heads, guys.

This wasnt a good year for DL regionally, in TN. Necks year is much better. Perhaps there is a strategy?

We are in on the Okoye kid, and still on kid who committed to USC. And then there's the kid who likes Florida, but is all over the map.

I agree this has been a frustrating year thus far. But, those like BOT who bang the 'wait and see' because kf SR years, really are speaking the truth.

DL is one of those deals where a kid changes positions, goes to camp, or eats a whole turkey at Thanksgiving and gains 25 lbs.

It would be nice if we could land one of these top DL. It’s great landing WRs but we need top level defensive talent. It’s concerning we are apparently getting outbid everywhere we turn.

Why don't we all wait to see what bodies are added by this staff before next fall camp. Current high stars will be joined by others based on their SR year production, will service misses at lower level schools jump to contenders, will that be further augmented by use of NIL for portal guys at a new level? What about going after high stars buried on signing day winning rosters. Adding a guy with a development year elsewhere is not a bad thing. This is not the old days. We have to worry about keeping our guys too. Way too early to KNOW the best use of NIL dollars in today's roster construction options. Worst ROI on some of these guys will be their first year wherever they start. Portal networking and war chest management as demonstrated by Bama with Gibbs may be an equal or better path to meet needs.

VN Store

Back