More Climate BS...

By half since when is really the question? I’m assuming you’re talking about the articles making the claim that we’ve lost half of some glaciers since 1930. The issue with that claim is that around the end of the 1800s we had a mini ice age. So shouldn’t we expect the amount of glacial ice to be less 150 years or so after an ice age than it was 50 year or so after an ice age?

Also if my memory is right the southern glaciers are actually expanding
Yes, some glaciers have expanded. Many, though, have shrunk. There's an exponential difference.

So then we shouldn’t actually be concerned with water shortages and it’s simply a scare tactic?
In that video NDT says future wars will be fought over access to fresh water, and I agree. I don't think if will be an issue in our lifetime and maybe not our kids lifetime, but the day will come. So I guess, no, WE don't really need to worry about water shortages because we'll be dead before it effects us.

In that video NDT says future wars will be fought over access to fresh water, and I agree. I don't think if will be an issue in our lifetime and maybe not our kids lifetime, but the day will come. So I guess, no, WE don't really need to worry about water shortages because we'll be dead before it effects us.

Not sure who/what NDT is, but given it’s simple to remove salt, this sounds like more of a scare tactic than an actual issue. Im sure the places with the most freshwater will shift, but that’s not new.

Neil Degrasse Tyson. The clip is from him on Joe Rogan.

Thanks. Not a big fan. I think he’s overly arrogant. Like his claim that aliens would never come here because we wouldn’t interest them. He’s speaks overly confident about things outside of his wheelhouse on a frequent basis

You ignored the important part. You’re starting your measurement near the end of an ice age and then pretending to be shocked that 150 years later we have far less ice
The little ice age is a bit of a misnomer. It was slightly cooler in Europe and North America but the cold snaps were not experienced globally and were in different places at different times. The LIA temperature change doesn’t compare to current global warming.

A small number of glaciers are growing today due to localized conditions but the vast majority are shrinking rapidly.

Reactions: EasternVol
The little ice age is a bit of a misnomer. It was slightly cooler in Europe and North America but the cold snaps were not experienced globally and were in different places at different times. The LIA temperature change doesn’t compare to current global warming.

A small number of glaciers are growing today due to localized conditions but the vast majority are shrinking rapidly.

Sure but changes were specific to the northern hemisphere just like the 50% he’s speaking of. So if we are measuring at a time not far removed from the end of an increased period of glaciation in the northern hemisphere, shouldn’t we anticipate a large drop 90 years later?

I get that part. What I’m saying is why can’t we simply remove the salt through distillation or another process? It would seem to be an easy solution. Especially since most of the problem is out west and not far from the coast
Desalination is very expensive, maybe one day we will have better technology to do it. It requires a lot of electricity.

I understand (at least to some level). But the part I’m still not grasping is why not simply use distillation to remove the salt? I would imagine we could boil water and collect the steaks pretty cheap. I want to say it sells for around 50 cents a gallon now but could be made cheaper if not sold by the gallon

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
Reverse osmosis is the less expensive (still expensive) alternative - for large scale - at this point in time

Thank you. Didn’t consider that. Plenty of people do reverse osmosis in their homes and it doesn’t seem that expensive. I would imagine it would be manageable on a wide scale and cheap enough to prevent #WaterWars

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back