MTG Calls for Red State Secession

But they were meant to have autonomy. Hence the 10th Amendment. Over the course of our history, the federal government has been allowed to outgrow its original mandate and seize more power than it was ever intended to have. And the sheep simply follow along.
I don't really disagree with this. I don't see it as negatively as people here, but the federal government clearly wasn't originally meant to be as powerful.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Take your tax dollars via any means..and then appropriate on political whims
That is power.

The 10th the 10th the 10th

Correct, in the treaty (our constitution) that formed the United States the states gave the federal government certain powers and authority just like the states that joined EU did.
But they didn't give up their independence.

Correct, in the treaty (our constitution) that formed the United States the states gave the federal government certain powers and authority just like the states that joined EU did.
Does the constitution have a specified mechanism for withdrawing from the pact? Does the EU?

Seems like you're implying it here.

That’s your example. But you’ve yet to provide an actual difference between the US and the EU. The EU is newer. But is their goal not to have a politically and economically aligned group of states?

Other than age I’m failing to see why you think the two are so different and you’ve not offered any reasons

That’s your example. But you’ve yet to provide an actual difference between the US and the EU. The EU is newer. But is their goal not to have a politically and economically aligned group of states?

Other than age I’m failing to see why you think the two are so different and you’ve not offered any reasons
I have. You just didn't like them. You dismissed the idea of having an army, constitution, and a sense of nationhood as "semantics."

That's the treaty they agreed to. If they change their mind, they're allowed to leave it.
Technically, the states should have a right to secede, but federal government stepped in and forbade it. Secession is not mentioned in the Constitution and is therefore a power that should fall to the individual states. Federal government seized a power they don't technically have.

That describes most political disputes.

We could label anything a political dispute if we so wished. Even the Holocaust. But that’s just a deflection on your end. The question isn’t “is this just political nonsense” or “is it justified” but rather “is it acceptable”.

You’re proclaiming without reason that it’s wrong here but acceptable in the UK

Technically, the states should have a right to secede, but federal government stepped in and forbade it. Secession is not mentioned in the Constitution and is therefore a power that should fall to the individual states. Federal government seized a power they don't technically have.
Can you cite to anything saying states have a right to secede or is this your opinion so that makes it "technically" true? If I say, the constitution doesn't say it's allowed, so "technically" it isn't allowed why is that any less true?

We could label anything a political dispute if we so wished. Even the Holocaust. But that’s just a deflection on your end. The question isn’t “is this just political nonsense” or “is it justified” but rather “is it acceptable”.
It wasn't a deflection, I was commenting on the last part of your post.

You’re proclaiming without reason that it’s wrong here but acceptable in the UK
Wrong is subjective. All I said is the situations are not the same, because they aren't.

Can you cite to anything saying states have a right to secede or is this your opinion so that makes it "technically" true? If I say, the constitution doesn't say it's allowed, so "technically" it isn't allowed why is that any less true?
I did. The 10th Amendment. Any powers not expressly mentioned in the Constitution fall to the individual states.

I have. You just didn't like them. You dismissed the idea of having an army, constitution, and a sense of nationhood as "semantics."

There’s plenty of unified armies. For example the UN. Yet I’m sure you would be okay with a country leaving the UN.

Every state has a constitution and an army. And a constitution vs the founding documents of the UN/EU or any other collective are no different than any other contract between multiple entities. I’m not sure why you see that term “constitution” as more significant than the UN Charter for example

Does the constitution have a specified mechanism for withdrawing from the pact? Does the EU?

No our constitution does not spell out a mechanism for withdrawing but neither does it have a prohibition.

IDK about the EU

VN Store

Back