Neil Young vs. Joe Rogan

Pharmaceutical advertising and a podcast are light years apart on the speech continuum.
Not as far as you think. What if it was a pharmaceutical rep on the podcast? The question is, how much intentional and harmful misinformation should be allowed before the government needs to step in? It would be great if pharmaceutical companies would properly regulate themselves, but they wont; it would be great if Spotify and all other media platforms would properly regulate themselves.....but we'll see. So far, they are doing a pretty crappy job.

Not as far as you think. What if it was a pharmaceutical rep on the podcast? The question is, how much intentional and harmful misinformation should be allowed before the government needs to step in? It would be great if pharmaceutical companies would properly regulate themselves, but they wont; it would be great if Spotify and all other media platforms would properly regulate themselves.....but we'll see. So far, they are doing a pretty crappy job.
It’s a sad life when the only answer you can come up with is more government.

And my original point that the Rogan racial stuff is driven not by real outrage, but by blowback from the Covid statements made on his show is the real motivator still stands. Otherwise, this would have been brought up years ago when he actually said it.

The drama queens and outrage warriors are being played like puppets here to further a Covid agenda and it’s ridiculous. Luther and Monty trying to sell this as something else to the point where we are comparing free speech to business regulation is the height of absurdity. At some point a reasonable person would step back and say “wait a minute, the position I’m arguing here makes no sense”.
I'm sure it was brought up years ago, but no one much cared because Rogan was a relative unknown. The story would have died out long before most even knew there was a story.
The story coming out again now has less to do with COVID and more to do with the responsibilities of people who own platforms that provide information to millions.

Last edited:
I'm sure it was brought up years ago, but no one much cared because Rogan was a relative unknown. The story would have died out long before most even knew there was a story.
The story coming out again now has less to do with COVID and more to do with the responsibilities of people who own platforms that provide information to millions.

So to be clear you do not believe these platforms should allow dissenting voices from qualified experts? Only government approved opinions?

So to be clear you do not believe these platforms should allow dissenting voices from qualified experts? Only government approved opinions?

People aren’t mad that he’s bringing on dissenting voices from qualified experts, and if you think that’s the case you’re missing the point entirely. It’s the proveable (and dangerous) misinformation that certain guests push on the show that people are against. It’s pretty simple

Reactions: TN Ribs
People aren’t mad that he’s bringing on dissenting voices from qualified experts, and if you think that’s the case you’re missing the point entirely. It’s the proveable (and dangerous) misinformation that certain guests push on the show that people are against. It’s pretty simple

And those people are qualified experts, correct?

My god

Reactions: Rickyvol77
You are not clear in the least.
Dissenting voices are great and should be heard if the owners of the platform feel they should.
People who disagree with the owners of the platform should voice their disagreement as they see fit.
Hopefully, that's as far as it ever needs to go.

It would be great if pharmaceutical companies would properly regulate themselves, but they wont; it would be great if Spotify and all other media platforms would properly regulate themselves.....but we'll see. So far, they are doing a pretty crappy job.
if I modded this board the way you want Spotify to self regulate, we’d be dead within a month or two. Half the fun here is letting people be wrong.

if I modded this board the way you want Spotify to self regulate, we’d be dead within a month or two.
I've seen posts removed on VN frequently. Everyone makes their determination based on what they want the platform to be.

You guys have even banned posters.

Dissenting voices are great and should be heard if the owners of the platform feel they should.
People who disagree with the owners of the platform should voice their disagreement as they see fit.

Under what scenarios do you believe it should go further? When do you believe the government should get involved?

And the owners of the platform made it clear where they stood. In return they get called out and pressured by the federal govt to shut down any info the feds don't agree with. This is about the fed gov interfering where they do not belong

I've seen posts removed on VN frequently. Everyone makes their determination based on what they want the platform to be.

You guys have even banned posters.
It’s usually based on behavior and not content though. You’ve got to really violate TOS and be a major turd to get run from the Politics Forum lol.

Thinking government should be the answer to regulate speech is basically saying the population is too stupid to think for themselves.

This same view is how we get the thought that minorities aren’t capable of acquiring a photo ID.

Reactions: GAVol and Vol8188

VN Store

Back