New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As far as the length, I really don't see any scenario where CPF would still be here in 7 years. The $5 mil buyout clause solidifies my beliefs. I believe there are two scenarios that are most likely to come of Fulmer's legacy. Both scenarios were created with the hiring of the new offensive regime and could be summarized by saying Fulmer is rolling the dice.

See that is my problem. It seems like you are suggesting that this was a grand scheme by Fulmer to bring in a new offenszive regime. If that is what you are suggesting, I disagree. Remember, Dave Clawson was Fulmer's 4th choice. And I don't see it as rolling the dice (or a calcualted gamble). I see it as Fulmer the act of a man that was desperate. The three people he was looking at before were guys from the UT family or a guy from a current Division I coaching staff. After he strikes out with Spence for the second time at Clemson, he is forced to look towards Richmond.

I don't even think Clawson was even in the picture the month of December (between the time Cutcliffe left and the bowl game)...

Could Fulmer have left after the NC? Yes. Could he have left when he was a young OC or position coach? More than likely.

I specifically said that without regard to Fulmer... an employee shouldn't be ignored/punished or denied a raise simply because their boss doesn't fear them leaving. That isn't an honest way to treat people... nor a smart way to treat people.

You should want to surround yourself with loyal people. Loyal people won't bail the first time a tough year prevents anyone from getting a raise... those out for themselves will. Loyal employees will sacrifice themselves to make the company successful. Those without loyalty will sacrifice the company for what makes them successful.
i think with the way this last deal was done, one could ask, what, exactly, did CPF sacrifice? seems to me the only one on the chopping block as a result of all this would be MH....which is ironic if in three or 4 years we're all still having these same conversations and then talking about going 15 years w/out a championship....:eek:lol:
He's still only 4th in the conference in annual salary. If you liked him before, you still like him. If you hated him before, you still hate him.
:rofl:

I don't hate the man and this pay thing should have nothing to do with your feeling either way. There is absolutely NO evidence I have seen presented for giving the man a raise.

This is a terrible argument, but I'd say it's just the nature of coaching salaries. There's no way a guy is going to be around at an SEC school as long as Fulmer has been without making an insane amount of money.

Which brings up the question: which is better, someone who is loyal but doesn't perform up to expectations, or someone who meets or exceeds expectations but is susceptible to leaving for a better offer?
It's better to ask that question by using concrete examples from around college sports. Would Memphis rather have Larry Finch or John Calipari? Would Alabama rather have Mike Shula or Nick Saban? Would Oklahoma rather have John Blake or Bob Stoops? Would Pitt rather have Paul Evans than Jamie Dixon?

Guys I know he has lost some zip and his play calls are very boring and predictable but he does have a very good record. I see both sides of this debate being valid. Everyone would run their company different.
His overall record is great, but he is trending downward and has not brought any hardware to Knoxville since 1998.

Which brings up the question: which is better, someone who is loyal but doesn't perform up to expectations, or someone who meets or exceeds expectations but is susceptible to leaving for a better offer?

I love how so many of you claim that Fulmer is loyal. Loyal? Are you kidding me? He's not loyal. He's grossly overcompensated and he's not about to jump off the gravy train. That doesn't make him loyal.

Ok, Fulmer is a stock option..... what do you do?

vitale.jpg

This is a terrible argument, but I'd say it's just the nature of coaching salaries. There's no way a guy is going to be around at an SEC school as long as Fulmer has been without making an insane amount of money.

That about sums it up. It is a raise based on the "well this is how we do things and always have" concept. He is already making insane money, and by the way, doing so at his dream job I am sure. These people act like they are actually having to negotiate to get him to stay.

Do you run a government? Sounds like you could.

Nope. I have managed hundreds of people though. I've seen good, loyal employees discouraged by managers who treated them similar to what you suggest while responding to the threats of disloyal employees.

I know there is a right and wrong way to treat people. I know that the wrong way often produces short term benefits but will always hurt in the long run.

What you suggested is just wrong. Without respect to Fulmer or his contract, you don't mistreat people just because they're loyal and you think you can get away with it.

His overall record is great, but he is trending downward and has not brought any hardware to Knoxville since 1998.

I would fully agree that he trended down from 98 to 05. There has been an uptick since... but the job isn't finished... so he shouldn't be getting any automatic money.

That about sums it up. It is a raise based on the "well this is how we do things and always have" concept. He is already making insane money, and by the way, doing so at his dream job I am sure. These people act like they are actually having to negotiate to get him to stay.
I agree to some extent. The loyalty thing is a little silly.

Nope. I have managed hundreds of people though. I've seen good, loyal employees discouraged by managers who treated them similar to what you suggest while responding to the threats of disloyal employees.

I know there is a right and wrong way to treat people. I know that the wrong way often produces short term benefits but will always hurt in the long run.

What you suggested is just wrong. Without respect to Fulmer or his contract, you don't mistreat people just because they're loyal and you think you can get away with it.

Thanks, more comedy. So not giving someone a raise is mistreating them? Well, if they are so damn useful, they can leave and be someone else's loyal employee.

yes. If you give a raise to one performing employee because you are afraid they'll leave but not to another equally good employee because they're loyal... then you are treating them unfairly.

Well, if they are so damn useful, they can leave and be someone else's loyal employee.
That attitude has sunk multiple American companies.

You guys on both sides are crazy to even argue this. The BOT will do what they think is best. Fulmer is not as bad as many on here think and not as good as some think. I think the raise was about on but not sure about the buy out.

It HAS to help with recruiting.

Again...

...the stability of a Division 1 Football Program has very little impact or effect upon its ability to recruit. In fact, it is clear that you could infer from these numbers that head coaching changes have positively impacted the recruiting at five schools UT recruits against each and every year.

head coaching changes have positively impacted the recruiting at five schools UT recruits against each and every year.

How could they NOT impact things positively at places like South Carolina and Alabama?

Thanks, more comedy. So not giving someone a raise is mistreating them? Well, if they are so damn useful, they can leave and be someone else's loyal employee.
Didn't you know that failure to provide an employee with an unearned raise is considered torture under the Geneva Convention? Hamilton conitnues to feather TCHFCATUTK's nest in order to avoid being labeled a war criminal.

This might surprise you there allvol123... but employees who mop floors are just as sensitive to being treated fairly as you are. The 30 year employee who has stuck with the company through thick and thin is just as sensitive to being treated unfairly as you are.

So where the performance here? You can't have the performance covered when you've gone 9 years without winning an SEC Championship. This isn't SC or Ole Miss. Winning the SEC is expected. Or at least it used to be.

Coming up on 10 years since our last SEC championship. Something to keep in mind...

No other coach in UT history has gone longer than 10 years without winning an SECC and kept their job.

But we are breaking the bank to pay this guy up to $3 million to play bowl games in Tampa and get our mouth torn out by Florida and Bama.

IDK if this has been mentioned yet ( i didn't read it all to be honest) but his pay is maybe a little over average among SEC coaches. I think thats about where he currently stands.

Didn't you know that failure to provide an employee with an unearned raise is considered torture under the Geneva Convention? Hamilton conitnues to feather TCHFCATUTK's nest in order to avoid being labeled a war criminal.

Hamilon desreves the Nobel Prize for Compassion. What a swell guy.

VN Store

Back