New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not a Fulmer supporter, but there's no question about where his loyalties stands. At this point in his career, he truly only cares about UT. I'm not delusional in the slightest. He would have rode off into the sunset a long time ago if he didn't think he was still the man for the job at Rocky Top.

I call BS on that. He would have to be dragged out of here kicking and screaming even if we finished 6-6 two consecutive years... No way could I see him stepping down.

I call BS on that. He would have to be dragged out of here kicking and screaming even if we finished 6-6 two consecutive years... No way could I see him stepping down.

again, I said he thinks he's the man for the job and that's why he's never retired. Never said he was the man for the job or that he'll change his mind.

Once again, that's crap. If the money were right, he'd be gone in a blur. There's zero chance of that ever happening because other than the Fulmerites, the rest of the country realizes that Fulmer is a lousy coach.

It's a point that can't possibly be proven one way or the other. There's just no way he's going to get a better offer than the gig he's got now. I do, however, think he is quite loyal to UT.

It's a point that can't possibly be proven one way or the other. There's just no way he's going to get a better offer than the gig he's got now. I do, however, think he is quite loyal to UT.

Based on WHAT? The fact that he'll stay here forever and coach us to complete mediocrity for a measly $3 million dollars a year? Thanks for the tremendous loyalty, Phil!

I think it is fairly safe to say that Fulmer won't be offered the amount it would take to make him move.... He would probably be the highest paid coach by a wide margin if he got that offer.

so now you're slightly changing your story. Fulmer probably never will concede that he's not the right man for the job. I never said he would. How does that make me delusional? One thing is for certain though, Fulmer, even if offered, won't take a job at any other football program, pro or college.

They would have to belly up to the bar to pay him what he is making here. They would have to give him guaranteed money for the next 7 seasons, an outrageous buyout, and the ability to renegotiate every 2-3 years after winning 70% of his games and losing to his two biggest rivals by more than 3 touchdowns.

You're right... no other school would do that.

Based on WHAT? The fact that he'll stay here forever and coach us to complete mediocrity for a measly $3 million dollars a year? Thanks for the tremendous loyalty, Phil!

Forget his time as head coach. He was an assistant from 82-92. As much as assistants bounce around, it's very rare for a guy to stay on the same staff that long. I have no doubt that he is loyal to his school.

It proves a few things to me.
1. Hamilton is a puppet
2.Fulmer has a big ego

The reality is I read where UT is phasing out academic programs and the state of Tennessee is cutting jobs back because tax collections are down forcing budget constraints. Mike's MBA from Clemson is a joke. The rest of the state employees are hanging on to their jobs but how he finds a way to give a manager (Fulmer) a hefty raise and carve ot a nice incentive package for him in the process for such a sub par performance is beyond me, not to mention all this during tough monetary times for the state of Tennessee is .:no:

*F.H.A. (Hamilton's)

*Fire His ____!

Based on the fact that he's spent most of his life coaching and playing for UT. Based on the fact that he could have jumped after the NC and didn't. Based on the fact that he stayed with UT as a young, not so well paid asst. Based on the fact that he stayed for more than half his career before the money was great.

Based on the fact that he didn't quit after the NC because he thought he had something more to give UT. Based on the fact that he didn't quit after 05 because he truly thought he had something more to give UT.

Performance may be a problem in some or even many respects. Loyalty really isn't.

Personally, if someone wanted to pay me 500,000 to be the head coach at UT, I'd consider myself made. I wouldn't be surprised if he felt pretty much the same. However, if an institution with money to blow wants to throw 3 million at your feet, you don't refuse it. He's got several kids and maybe grandkids. Why not set them up for life?

Randy Sanders cried when he resigned. I imagine it had quite a bit to do with the fact that he was leaving a school he'd been associated with for a few decades.

It proves a few things to me.
1. Hamilton is a puppet
2.Fulmer has a big ego

The reality is I read where UT is phasing out academic programs and the state of Tennessee is cutting jobs back because tax collections are down forcing budget constraints. Mike's MBA from Clemson is a joke. The rest of the state employees are hanging on to their jobs but how he finds a way to give a manager (Fulmer) a hefty raise and carve ot a nice incentive package for him in the process for such a sub par performance is beyond me, not to mention all this during tough monetary times for the state of Tennessee is .:no:

*F.H.A. (Hamilton's)

*Fire His ____!

What does Fulmer's salary have to do with the financial woes of the state of Tennessee?

Forget his time as head coach. He was an assistant from 82-92. As much as assistants bounce around, it's very rare for a guy to stay on the same staff that long. I have no doubt that he is loyal to his school.

I can't remember who it was, but Fulmer tried to get head coaching jobs at a couple of other schools (not on tennessee's level) before Majors was fired and was turned down. It's not like he's been turning down offers during his entire career at Tennessee.

They would have to belly up to the bar to pay him what he is making here. They would have to give him guaranteed money for the next 7 seasons, an outrageous buyout, and the ability to renegotiate every 2-3 years after winning 70% of his games and losing to his two biggest rivals by more than 3 touchdowns.

You're right... no other school would do that.

I still don't think he leaves. He just wants to see UT win it all again and for some reason he thinks he is the man to get it done. I think it's his ego. My only hope is that his ego doesn't get the best of him and he gives Clawson & Co. their fair chance to succeed. That is my biggest worry. I think Fulmer has two years guaranteed (barring another bowl-less season. Others, including Lex disagree and think a 7 or 8 win season will get Fulmer axed. Mikey isn't as dumb as so many on here want to make him out to be. He wouldn't have set Fulmer's buyout clause without knowing he could easily pay it off.

I can't remember who it was, but Fulmer tried to get head coaching jobs at a couple of other schools (not on tennessee's level) before Majors was fired and was turned down. It's not like he's been turning down offers during his entire career at Tennessee.
yeah, but it's also not like he's never turned one down to stay either.

pj, seeing as how you think Phillip is underpaid, even with this reaise, according to your vote in the poll, how much do you think he should get?

utfantilidie,

The pay of Fulmer and Pearl isn't based on the market value of state workers. It is based on the market value of coaches. Moreover, the revenues they bring in pay their salaries many times over.

Taxpayers don't support them like they do state workers who often require five times the manning necessary to do any given job.

What does Fulmer's salary have to do with the financial woes of the state of Tennessee?
I know that I am going to ask my rep. and sen. to restore UTK athletics to the university for purposes of shared revenue and oversight. I encourage every other state resident to do likewise.

Based on the fact that he's spent most of his life coaching and playing for UT. Based on the fact that he could have jumped after the NC and didn't. Based on the fact that he stayed with UT as a young, not so well paid asst. Based on the fact that he stayed for more than half his career before the money was great.

Based on the fact that he didn't quit after the NC because he thought he had something more to give UT. Based on the fact that he didn't quit after 05 because he truly thought he had something more to give UT.

Performance may be a problem in some or even many respects. Loyalty really isn't.

Nobody offered Fulmer a job after the national championship. That's why he didn't leave. That's not loyalty.

pj, seeing as how you think Phillip is underpaid, even with this reaise, according to your vote in the poll, how much do you think he should get?

and seeing how mine was a serious vote I think he should be given a check made out to "CASH" and allowed to write any amount he sees fit

Nobody offered Fulmer a job after the national championship. That's why he didn't leave. That's not loyalty.
Wasn't he supposedly approached by the Carolina Panthers at some point?

Nothing.

It just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths to see programs at UT being cut while Fulmer gets a reward for doing zilch.

I see your point about in a fiscal sense, one has nothing to do with the other. But from a PR stand point, it looks pretty bad.

I have seen nothing to suggest disloyalty.

It's relatively hard to prove that you're disloyal if you're never given the opportunity (no other job offers) and your current employer keeps giving you contract extensions and substantial raises no matter how poor your job performance is.

VN Store

Back