New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really have a hard time believing that Fulmer being 12th highest or 8th highest really affects how he'll be able to recruit. Richt has been a pretty steady recruiter at UGA regardless of his salary. The talent on the Hill was actually a lot better pre-98. I'd be interested to know where his salary ranked back then.

Georgia is also absolutely LOADED with instate talent. And i mean LOADED. Makes his recruiting a lot easier.

But market value is ultimately what someone with the money is willing to pay... and since neither of us writes those checks...
You are only looking at one aspect of what drives salary. Sure, the salary of your peers plays a role. But, if you are not performing on the level of your peers, then you don't deserve anything more. Just because all of my coworkers are making X amount of dollars, that doesn't mean I should be making the same just because we are in the same field. You have to look at performance and your worth to the company in terms of revenue. If someone could come in and do your job and either out perform you (win more hardware) or bring in more revenue, then do they really have any insentive to give you an extra cherry on top?

***(I have to say performance AND revenue because that is a reason why I don't think Summit needs a raise, either.)***

Georgia is also absolutely LOADED with instate talent. And i mean LOADED. Makes his recruiting a lot easier.

I'm aware. I still think it's a stretch to say 2.2 mil and 2.99 mil makes a huge difference in recruiting. If I was a recruit, that's not something I'd care about. I know a coach's job security probably plays into it, but an extension and slight raise would have the about the same bearing in that department.

On the other hand, Ferentz's salary hasn't helped him recruit studs.

I really have a hard time believing that Fulmer being 12th highest or 8th highest really affects how he'll be able to recruit. Richt has been a pretty steady recruiter at UGA regardless of his salary. The talent on the Hill was actually a lot better pre-98. I'd be interested to know where his salary ranked back then.

I dont know if I agree with that. I think 99, 00, 01 were loaded as well.

again, that you know of

If it was anybody of significance or if they were really seriously making a run at him, that story would have leaked out. There are no secrets out there.

Go back and think of some of the coaching vacancies that have occurred in the past 9 years in the pros or in college. How many of those openings would Fulmer have been a serious contender for? How many would have been willing to offer him what he makes at Tennessee? You would almost have to look at the pros, and I can't imagine anybody making a serious run at Fulmer.

sorry if I made that sound confusing, but the biggest thing is that the raises keep him up there and shows potential job security. Over these next 6 years of this extension, it's just slight raises each year.

I also agree with whoever it was that said Fulmer won't see 2014. He'll have either retired or been sent packing.

sorry if I made that sound confusing, but the biggest thing is that the raises keep him up there and shows potential job security. Over these next 6 years of this extension, it's just slight raises each year.

I also agree with whoever it was that said Fulmer won't see 2014. He'll have either retired or been sent packing.

The salary he had was already more than Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden. Those guys are about as secure as you can get. I think the fact that he's been here 15 years and is in the top 20 highest paid would be all the assurance anyone would need of security.

I would argue that despite our struggles, we've still been better than both schools over the past 5 years or so.

I would argue that despite our struggles, we've still been better than both schools over the past 5 years or so.

FSU has won two ACC titles in the last 5 seasons. Penn State was able to beat us heads up two years ago when Paterno was in the press box...

It was a rumor after Petrino left. One that most thought was started by Sexton to try to convince UT to give him more money.

Sounds like something a kid in 5th grade made up. I don't think anybody with an IQ over 50 would actually buy that one.

The rumor that I actually heard regarding a Falcons job opening and a UTK coach involved the defensive coordinator, and it was not for the head coach position.

Also beat FSU!

:crazy:

In a BCS bowl, no less. I would say in the past 5 years, PSU and FSU have done pretty well compared to Tennesse. PSU had some sub .500 season before they won the conference, but still, 3 bowl wins (1 being a BCS bowl) and a conference title ain't too shabby.

The rumor that I actually heard regarding a Falcons job opening and a UTK coach involved the defensive coordinator, and it was not for the head coach position.

Yeah, now I remember that. You're right. Chavis' name did come up for that position. I was pulling for Chavis to get the job...

In a BCS bowl, no less. I would say in the past 5 years, PSU and FSU have done pretty well compared to Tennesse. PSU had some sub .500 season before they won the conference, but still, 3 bowl wins (1 being a BCS bowl) and a conference title ain't too shabby.

Yeah like being ranked #6 and getting destroyed in the Peach Bowl............ oh wait..... :cray:

Jimmy Sexton is the best agent in the game. I am willing to bet that he could've got Fulmer more $$$.

At least Sexton kept it in the range of reason this time and left Hamiliton with a shirt on his back and dignity within the program. Unlike Alabama, I don't think this makes headlines across the nation for looking like complete idiots and selling our souls to the devil.

This is not a blockbuster deal nor ridicules fiscal irresponsibility by UT. This deal doesn't come close to breaking the bank. UT football is self-supporting through budgeted revenue and expenses and most years it has enough left over to give the school a couple million.

I'm just glad they are investing in Pearl as well.

Maybe. It depends on how you want to measure things.

Over the last five years...

Penn State: 36-25, one championship

FSU: 41-23, two championships

UT: 44-20

It's a strange trend to look at. For the first 3 years (2003-2005) FSU is clearly better than the other two. For the last three years (2005-2007) Penn State is clearly the best. But over the whole 5 years, UT has the best record.

This is not a blockbuster deal nor ridicules fiscal irresponsibility by UT. This deal doesn't come close to breaking the bank. UT football is self-supporting through budgeted revenue and expenses and most years it has enough left over to give the school a couple million.

And yet, they have a $3 million short fall... :question:

Looking at the coaching market if Fulmer were a Free Agent and he could go out on the market and teams were looking to acquire a new head coach, Fulmer could not get any team in America to pay him what he's going to be paid at UT. Therefore, Fulmer is overpaid. Plain and simple. His value in the market is not worth what he will be paid at UT.

Fulmer will rot in that position at UT. He is not going anywhere, ever.

Why would a university pay a coach that no one else wants above and beyond the coach's market-value? Its one thing if you got an Urban Meyer that other schools would love to have luring him every off-season with millions of dollars. Its another to have a coach past his prime that no one else wants and pay him well beyond his value on the market.

Honestly Fulmer is the 4th highest paid coach in the SEC. And he has the 4th best program. Seems fair to me.

Pearl hasn't gotten past the sweet 16 and nobody complains about his raise. That just goes to show what low expectations can do for you.

Honestly Fulmer is the 4th highest paid coach in the SEC. And he has the 4th best program. Seems fair to me.

Pearl hasn't gotten past the sweet 16 and nobody complains about his raise. That just goes to show what low expectations can do for you.

Pearl has created upward momentum. Fulmer has not.

Who are the top 5 programs in the conference?

VN Store

Back