New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Couldn't agree more. If Ainge doesn't throw that pick in last year's SEC CG, this is a very different thread.

Well if we dont recover Foster's fumble in the SC game Fulmer wouldn't be the coach currently. We also came a play away from losing to Vanderbilt and Kentucky. For God sake we've almost gotten beat two years in a row in Neyland by Vanderbilt. What has our football program come too?:banghead2:

I'am starting to think this a a move for recruiting purposes only. It shows they're behind him and he can tell recruits he is going to be here. That is the only reason that i can come up with for the move. If not then hamilton is the ultimate homer and the only way phil goes is if hammy goes before or with him. Maybe they know something we don't? Maybe the team is going to come out and be all world this year,ha. It would surprise me if were better than expected. It wouldn't surprise me if were about right where we've been for the last few years or worse.

Yet you act like it's absurd to suggest that he's loyal. Just because he lacks a bunch of opportunities to be disloyal doesn't mean he isn't loyal.

You and several other posters always throw out that Fulmer is so loyal to UT. You have NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT. It's pure speculation on your part. You like the man, so you project favorable qualities on to him. The fact of the matter is that he has had no other job offers. As such, he has had NO WAY to show one way or the other if he is loyal or not.

You and several other posters always throw out that Fulmer is so loyal to UT. You have NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT. It's pure speculation on your part. You like the man, so you project favorable qualities on to him. The fact of the matter is that he has had no other job offers. As such, he has had NO WAY to show one way or the other if he is loyal or not.

Great. So explain to me how I can't say Fulmer is loyal to UT but it's cool if you say he isn't. YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT. I'M ANGRY.

I'am starting to think this a a move for recruiting purposes only. It shows they're behind him and he can tell recruits he is going to be here. That is the only reason that i can come up with for the move. If not then hamilton is the ultimate homer and the only way phil goes is if hammy goes before or with him. Maybe they know something we don't? Maybe the team is going to come out and be all world this year,ha. It would surprise me if were better than expected. It wouldn't surprise me if were about right where we've been for the last few years or worse.

He could have done that under the old contract...

Tell any coach we expect in the next three years:

The school's first ever #1 ranking.

Get to the Sweet 16 2/3 seasons, even though the school has only been there 2 times in its history.

Win a conference championship.

Really low expectations there. I'm not sure reasonable Duke fans even expect that from Coach K.

Are you joking? Both Duke and Carolina fans expect to be ranked #1 at some point in MOST seasons, they expect to win a conference championship probably in the neighborhood of 40% of the time, and they expect to make the Sweet 16 every single year.

Great. So explain to me how I can't say Fulmer is loyal to UT but it's cool if you say he isn't. YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING THAT. I'M ANGRY.

I have said that none of us really knows whether Fulmer is loyal or not because he's never been given any other opportunities (job offers). All I've done is dispute your claims that Fulmer is "obviously" loyal to UT. He may be. He may not be. We don't know.

Are you joking? Both Duke and Carolina fans expect to be ranked #1 at some point in MOST seasons, they expect to win a conference championship probably in the neighborhood of 40% of the time, and they expect to make the Sweet 16 every single year.

Which is why I used the adjective "reasonable" and I didn't even bother mentioning Carolina. Also, I'm pretty sure if you look at the last 3 years, they fall short of meeting those expectations.

I have said that none of us really knows whether Fulmer is loyal or not because he's never been given any other opportunities (job offers). All I've done is dispute your claims that Fulmer is "obviously" loyal to UT. He may be. He may not be. We don't know.

You're seriously delusional. Fulmer isn't loyal. He doesn't go anywhere else because a) Nobody wants him, b) He' grossly overpaid as it is; and c) He's not about to leave the gravy train to go somewhere else where they might actually hold him accountable for his poor performance. He's got it made. No matter how poorly he performs, UT gives him more money.

I conclude my discussion of this matter.

Which is why I used the adjective "reasonable" and I didn't even bother mentioning Carolina. Also, I'm pretty sure if you look at the last 3 years, they fall short of meeting those expectations.

That may be. Nevertheless, those ARE the expectations at those programs, and they are reasonable expectations at those programs. Either Duke or Carolina is going to win the ACC conference about four out of every five years, and they both expect to go to the Sweet 16 every year. To not do so is a disappointing season. Do disappointing seasons happen? Of course. The fact of the matter is that making it to the Sweet 16 is not difficult. If you're one of the top teams in the nation, then all you have to do is win one game against a team that has virtually no shot at beating you, and then win one more game against a team that you should beat 8 or 9 times out of 10. You don't really start to meet serious competition until the Elite 8.

When UT's basketball program reaches the point where those are the expectations for its team, then UT will have arrived as one of the premier basketball programs in the nation. Right now, it isn't, but it is a program that is seriously on the rise.

I conclude my discussion of this matter.

...and what's the underlying point to that post? That Fulmer has never been given the opportunity to prove one way or the other if he's loyal or not. He's never received another job offer, and he's riding the gravy train here at UT with no accountability whatsoever for poor job performance.

Correct, but those ARE the expectations at those programs, and they are reasonable expectations at those programs. Either Duke or Carolina is going to win the ACC conference about four out of every five years, and they both expect to go to the Sweet 16 every year. To not do so is a disappointing season. The fact of the matter is that making it to the Sweet 16 is not difficult. If you're one of the top teams in the nation, then all you have to do is win one game against a team that has virtually no shot at beating you, and then win one more game against a team that you should beat 8 or 9 times out of 10. You don't really start to meet serious competition until the Elite 8.

I'd say Louisville was pretty serious competition. UNC missed the Sweet 16 2 out Roy's 3 first years. Duke's missed it 2 of the last 3.

If I am a high school sophomore or junior that runs a 4.4 40, the University of Tennesse just got scratched off my list.

I'm sure Hamilton is banking on Fulmer closing out this decade with 2 SEC titles. :crossfingers:

Thats right, the vague 10 year window... was that 10 years from our last SECC? Or 10 years from the start of Hamilton's tenure... or maybe its the decade concept as you suggest? Meeting any of those goals at this point is unlikely, particularly the first and third... and you know it won't come up with Hamilton unless Fulmer finally finds the elusive magic dust and gets us more hardware.

Fulmer shouldn't get an increase in base compensation until he meets expectations and he's not meeting his own bosses previously public expectations!! Tennessee football program, the good ole boy network. Compensation isn't based on merit, its based on back slappin' and schmoozin'.

for pay raises? Haven't seen anything about Pat Summitt getting a pay raise.

What the hell is going on with that? I think we all should undertake a letter writing campaign to Hammy boy to correct this injustice... :mad:

She ought to be paying you.

And Fulmer ought to be working on structured contingency: He gets a million base and another $200,000 for every win over 8 wins, plus bonuses for SECE, SECC, BCS, and BCSC.

The bottom line is...Fulmer is still only the seventh highest paid coach in the SEC...thats below average...Right now, Fulmer is an average coach in the SEC, so he is getting paid just right...there really shouldnt be an argument here.

She will be making $2 million dollars. The Geno signing has probably caused them to restructure that deal so that she is paid more than he is.

The bottom line is...Fulmer is still only the seventh highest paid coach in the SEC...thats below average...Right now, Fulmer is an average coach in the SEC, so he is getting paid just right...there really shouldnt be an argument here.

He shouldn't get a bump just because the going rate in the conference has gone up. His performance should speak for itself. If he has done enough to deserve $2.4 million, then that would be one thing. But if the salaries of the other football coaches goes up, he shouldn't be getting raises just to keep pace with the boys.

Makes no sense to give this guy a raise on any level.

VN Store

Back