New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Honestly Fulmer is the 4th highest paid coach in the SEC. And he has the 4th best program. Seems fair to me.

Pearl hasn't gotten past the sweet 16 and nobody complains about his raise. That just goes to show what low expectations can do for you.

Pearl has a conference title this year.

Pearl has created upward momentum. Fulmer has not.

Fulmer created a large swing of upward momentum that led to a NC. Then it fell into 2005. Now we are swinging upwards again.

Also Pearl has had many of the same post season problems that everybody complains about with Fulmer. He has never coached a team that played well in the SEC tournament, and again never been past the Sweet 16.

And it is much easier to create upward momentum from the bottom(where Pearl started), than from the middle(where Fulmer started). Pearl's creation of momentum is merely a result of low expectations. He hasn't done much more the Jerry Green so far. Fulmer has done more than anybody in his position since Neyland.

Jimmy Sexton is the best agent in the game. I am willing to bet that he could've got Fulmer more $$$.

At least Sexton kept it in the range of reason this time and left Hamiliton with a shirt on his back and dignity within the program. Unlike Alabama, I don't think this makes headlines across the nation for looking like complete idiots and selling our souls to the devil.

I think this deal speaks more to the good ole boys club we have in the athletic department rather than Sexton's ability.

I bet in an open market, the bidding for Fulmer's services wouldn't rise above $1.5 mil per year, if that.

So why are we paying double? And better yet, why is Hamilton providing raises and buyout clauses when fulmer isn't even meeting the expectations set (and quickly forgotten) by Hamilton - the 2 SEC championships every decade?

Fulmer created a large swing of upward momentum that led to a NC. Then it fell into 2005. Now we are swinging upwards again.

Also Pearl has had many of the same post season problems that everybody complains about with Fulmer. He has never coached a team that played well in the SEC tournament, and again never been past the Sweet 16.

And it is much easier to create upward momentum from the bottom(where Pearl started), than from the middle(where Fulmer started). Pearl's creation of momentum is merely a result of low expectations. He hasn't done much more the Jerry Green so far. Fulmer has done more than anybody in his position since Neyland.

I don't really care what Fulmer did 10 years ago. He got a nice raise for that already. He's not done anything since 2005 that makes me think the program is moving upwards. The last two years were better than 5-6. Great, he's officially able to do something 500 other coaches could do.

Looking at the coaching market if Fulmer were a Free Agent and he could go out on the market and teams were looking to acquire a new head coach, Fulmer could not get any team in America to pay him what he's going to be paid at UT. Therefore, Fulmer is overpaid. Plain and simple. His value in the market is not worth what he will be paid at UT.

Good point, I just made one very similar. Fulmer, love him or hate him, is being paid well over his market value.

Hamilton is betting his job on this one. If Fulmer doesn't produce soon, hambone is going to get chased out of Knoxville in the likes of Bill Battle.

Grateful, Most of the editorial media I've read is already ridiculing the Vols for giving such a huge increase to a guy who hasn't won the conference in going on a decade. This is an embarassment to all but the most unabashed Fulmer bootlickers. Even if you are someone who just likes the guy and thinks he should remain head coach for the foreseeable future, this contract makes no sense.

Let me sum up my point simply and clearly.

Because Pearl has exceded desperately low expectations we crown him as a savior.

Because Fulmer has failed to meet high expectations we call him a dud.

Grateful, Most of the editorial media I've read is already ridiculing the Vols for giving such a huge increase to a guy who hasn't won the conference in going on a decade. This is an embarassment to all but the most unabashed Fulmer bootlickers. Even if you are someone who just likes the guy and thinks he should remain head coach for the foreseeable future, this contract makes no sense.

I'm a fence rider on Fulmer, and I agree with this completely. We just look plain stupid paying someone so much higher than market... particularly in the wake of being humiliated by our 2 biggest rivals.

I think this deal speaks more to the good ole boys club we have in the athletic department rather than Sexton's ability.

I bet in an open market, the bidding for Fulmer's services wouldn't rise above $1.5 mil per year, if that.

So why are we paying double? And better yet, why is Hamilton providing raises and buyout clauses when fulmer isn't even meeting the expectations set (and quickly forgotten) by Hamilton - the 2 SEC championships every decade?

I'm sure Hamilton is banking on Fulmer closing out this decade with 2 SEC titles. :crossfingers:

Because Pearl has exceded desperately low expectations we crown him as a savior.

I'm pretty sure both of their goals are to win the SEC. One coach took a bottom feeder to this goal in three seasons. The other coach has been failing for going on 10 years.

Good point, I just made one very similar. Fulmer, love him or hate him, is being paid well over his market value.

Hamilton is betting his job on this one. If Fulmer doesn't produce soon, hambone is going to get chased out of Knoxville in the likes of Bill Battle.

He doesn't want to make the decision to fire Fulmer, apparently. Again, if Hamliton has a fear of making that decision when the time comes, then he needs to step down.

Again, pearl has won an SEC title in the past 9 years. Fulmer has not. Winning an SEC title in football at Tennessee is not a high expectation. It is a reasonable expectation. No other coach has gone this long without winning an SEC title and still kept their job... muchless gotten a pay raise and extension.

Tell any coach we expect in the next three years:

The school's first ever #1 ranking.

Get to the Sweet 16 2/3 seasons, even though the school has only been there 2 times in its history.

Win a conference championship.

Really low expectations there. I'm not sure reasonable Duke fans even expect that from Coach K.

Tell any coach we expect in the next three years:

The school's first ever #1 ranking.

Get to the Sweet 16 2/3 seasons, even though the school has only been there 2 times in its history.

Win a conference championship.

Really low expectations there.

You know what is sad, if Bruce Pearl goes 9 more years without a conference title, he would be shown the door... in spite of all he has done so far. But Fulmer gets the Brinks truck rolled into his drive way for essentiall doing the samething (I call playing in a non-BCS New Years Day Bowl about on par as making the Sweet 16)...

No Auburn?

Couldve put Auburn there. Or Ark. Or Ky. if we just judging by last year. I really don't know whose behind us and I don't care. I'd like to be up there with Fla and LSU, but we are not. Probably won't be until Fulmer is gone.

Honestly one of the first things I said after the 98 NC was that Fulmer would be a UT until he wanted to go no matter how bad it got. That was the price we'd have to pay for the championship. And I still don't think that we are getting ripped off. He fields a competitive team in a really tough conference, in a state with almost no high school talent. His job isn't as easy as we'd like to think, and I don't think he is so terrible at it. We are stuck with him for the time being, and the ink on that deal is dry. Let's just hope that Clawson is the right guy to run the offense, and Fulmer will take the next 2-3 years to groom him as the new head coach then move on to a happy retirement.

You know what is sad, if Bruce Pearl goes 9 more years without a conference title, he would be shown the door... in spite of all he has done so far. But Fulmer gets the Brinks truck rolled into his drive way for essentiall doing the samething (I call playing in a non-BCS New Years Day Bowl about on par as making the Sweet 16)...

How about letting Pearl actually accomplish something before using the 9 year drought as an excuse to axe him. "All that he has done".....you mean bring nothing more than excitement and exposure? Bring in money? Hmm....I'm pretty sure Tennessee football has been doing that year in and year out. Sooo....what exactly has Pearl accomplished that warrants being mentioned alongside of what Fulmer has?

How about letting Pearl actually accomplish something before using the 9 year drought as an excuse to axe him. "All that he has done".....you mean bring nothing more than excitement and exposure? Bring in money? Hmm....I'm pretty sure Tennessee football has been doing that year in and year out. Sooo....what exactly has Pearl accomplished that warrants being mentioned alongside of what Fulmer has?

He's won a SEC title in the last 9 years...

Again, pearl has won an SEC title in the past 9 years. Fulmer has not. Winning an SEC title in football at Tennessee is not a high expectation. It is a reasonable expectation. No other coach has gone this long without winning an SEC title and still kept their job... muchless gotten a pay raise and extension.

He won a regular season title, not the Tournament. Therefore he only halfway won it, which is about as exciting as winning the SEC East in football. Sure it's still something we haven't done in a very long time, but they really aren't comparable.

Win the SEC Championship Game = BCS birth
Win the SEC Championship in Bball = #1 seed

Pearl didn't win it, therefore his "sec title" got the team a 2 seed, which it would have had even if it didn't win the regular season title.

I agree with the rest of what you said and the expectations are indeed different. But again, the comparisons just aren't really fair or on par with each other.

He won a regular season title, not the Tournament. Therefore he only halfway won it, which is about as exciting as winning the SEC East in football. Sure it's still something we haven't done in a very long time, but they really aren't comparable.

Win the SEC Championship Game = BCS birth
Win the SEC Championship in Bball = #1 seed

Pearl didn't win it, therefore his "sec title" got the team a 2 seed, which it would have had even if it didn't win the regular season title.

I agree with the rest of what you said and the expectations are indeed different. But again, the comparisons just aren't really fair or on par with each other.

The point is that in spite of the relatively low expectations that we had of basketball when Pearl got here, he would still get run out of town if he goes another 9 seasons with no SEC title.

Meanwhile, in a sport where we have higher expectattions, we have let a guy sit around and do nothing of significance over the last 9 years and reward him with a raise/extension.

UT basketball = low expectations, coach would be fired after 9 years with no title

UT football = higher expectations, coach is given a golden parachute

VN Store

Back