New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He shouldn't get a bump just because the going rate in the conference has gone up. His performance should speak for itself. If he has done enough to deserve $2.4 million, then that would be one thing. But if the salaries of the other football coaches goes up, he shouldn't be getting raises just to keep pace with the boys.

Makes no sense to give this guy a raise on any level.

Counterpoint (and I am NOT a "Fulmer apologist"):

We made it to Atlanta. How much do Meyer and Richt make?

well all that said, i'm a little tired of the "if's and but's" the past 5-6 years have provided us as UT Fans......and coaches.

I don't understand why Fulmer's supporters can't bring up his "almost-wins," when criticizing his "almost-losses" against Vandy, USC, and Kentucky seems to be par for the course.

Having said that, I agree with you.

The bottom line is...Fulmer is still only the seventh highest paid coach in the SEC...thats below average...Right now, Fulmer is an average coach in the SEC, so he is getting paid just right...there really shouldnt be an argument here.

With the new raise he's making 2.99 mil/year. That's better than 7th. I'm pretty sure he's fourth.

With the new raise he's making 2.99 mil/year. That's better than 7th. I'm pretty sure he's fourth.

Yes (on average). Behind Miles, Saban, and Meyer. Very close to Tuberville, Petrino, and Richt.

All those guys, save Petrino, have recent hardware (Saban's is a tad dusty, but he's only a few SEC seasons removed from it) they can use as justification for more money.

Counterpoint (and I am NOT a "Fulmer apologist"):

We made it to Atlanta. How much do Meyer and Richt make?

They make more. Can't remember how much but I thin Richt is around 2.8. And Meyer around 3.

Although since their arrival, what have they done that Fulmer has not? Heck, Meyer took Utah to more BCS games than Fulmer has this decade.

They make more. Can't remember how much but I thin Richt is around 2.8. And Meyer around 3.

Although since their arrival, what have they done that Fulmer has not? Heck, Meyer took Utah to more BCS games than Fulmer has this decade.
Joe Paterno has been to more BCS games and won more conference titles that Fulmer this decade...

Houston Nutt has been to Atlanta... what is so special about going to Atlanta and not winning?

Many would argue that making it to Atlanta is an accomplishment. Of course, I think that winning the SEC is the benchmark. But, it's hard to argue that Fulmer shouldn't be compensated somewhere in the ballpark of his equals.

What's tough to swallow is that it's been 10 years since we won a title, and that we are still reeling from the terrible 2005 season. I have read the arguments about stability and recruiting. . . .and I disagree with some of the logic. Truth is, if we could pull off a good season with a new offensive regime, a "vote of confidence" by the AD really might be a positive factor in recruiting.

I may be overanalyzing, but I think that our performance this year with the "new blood" will be vital to Fulmer's future at UT.

It beats the heck out of sitting at home on the 1st Saturday in December.

Georgia sat at home in December and ended up in a BCS game. Samething for LSU the season before.

Ironically, the losers of both of those SECCG played in insignificant bowl games in Florida.

In the end, just getting to ATL means diddly squat in the overall scheme of things...

call me biased, but the Big Tenleven and the ACC aren't the same as winning an SEC. Overall records and final rankings, I think UT has the edge over both FSU and Penn State.

call me biased, but the Big Tenleven and the ACC aren't the same as winning an SEC. Overall records and final rankings, I think UT has the edge over both FSU and Penn State.

Granted, the SEC is tougher. But how long should a coach be given to win an SEC title at the Univ. of Tennessee? He's coming close to being past due, if he isn't there already...

Granted, the SEc is tougher. But how long should a coach be given to win an SEC title at the Univ. of Tennessee? He's coming close to being past due, if he isn't there already...

i love how you can only hang your hat on a handful of arguments and no matter what is brought out into the argument, like the troll you are, you just go back to your old standbys

It's not something to hang your hat on by itself, but you can't completely discount it either.

It only becomes discounted when you keep going there and losing. Maybe discounted is the wrong way to describe it... it begins to get annoying and frustrating to keep going and losing. Bills fans don't go around boasting about 4 AFC consecutive AFC titles, so why should a Vol fan weigh an SECCG appearnce anymore heavily?

Again, Houston Nutt has been there twice, and he got run. Heck, Majors won the SEC 3 times in his last few seasons and got run out of town. But this guy goes trophyless for 9 years and gets rewarded for just making it there? :frown:

Quit going to the Majors argument. Anybody that saw it unfold knows his situation had little to do with wins and losses.

i love how you can only hang your hat on a handful of arguments and no matter what is brought out into the argument, like the troll you are, you just go back to your old standbys
You didn't answer the question... how long should a coach be given to win an SEC championship at the Univ. of Tennessee? Its not a "troll" question... I'll give you a hint, Mike Hamilton outlined what his expectations were when he first got hired.

TVA, we've been over that question a million times. If you've paid attention at all, you know my answer to that question. But it has NOTHING to do with the argument about Penn State and FSU.

TVA, we've been over that question a million times. If you've paid attention at all, you know my answer to that question. But it has NOTHING to do with the argument about Penn State and FSU.
Repeat it again, because I haven't seen it. Seriously, how long?

You didn't answer the question... how long should a coach be given to win an SEC championship at the Univ. of Tennessee? Its not a "troll" question... I'll give you a hint, Mike Hamilton outlined what his expectations were when he first got hired.

Yep. An SEC Championship every 5 years.

He's now revised that to "competing for the SEC East title."

Pathetic.

Georgia sat at home in December and ended up in a BCS game. Samething for LSU the season before.

Ironically, the losers of both of those SECCG played in insignificant bowl games in Florida.

In the end, just getting to ATL means diddly squat in the overall scheme of things...

what does getting to a bcs bowl mean? Winning a division title should carry more significance than a bcs bowl game.

VN Store

Back