New Pay Raise for Fulmer Announced (Merged)

What Do you think about Fulmer's raise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Summary based on voting thus far:

Pro-Phils:thumbsup:
utvolpj
#2 Stunna, abvol, Brewerw, bronco104, getyopopcornready, GoBlGOrange, golf437, Grateful Vol, jlaw008, jwells, ledhed43, mattvols, Mullet, nyVol, Ole Dad, OrangeWilly, RussDogg, sunbrite vol, utmba93, VolBeef88, VolFan68, volfanbill, volmanbill, VolzRChamps, vol_in_ar

Abeachvol, brierboy, chattavol2, chavisut, Dawson, DC Vol, Fine Vol, G0V0LS33, gasguy98, GAVol , govols182, govolsman, Jurevicious, NationofVols, Rasputin_Vol, salutethehill, sjt18, Spent Fuel, SWIL, TennesseeT, The Dude, tng8r, VOLFAN220, VolfanMike, Volman09, vols4sure, Volsfan895, vol_freak

Nega-Phils :no:
allvol123, allvolinky, BigAl, billbattle, BleedinOrange, Business, Cartervol, champyvol, DJ2005, dobre_shunka, drewwes01, duckman398686, General Jack, head1, jakez4ut, jeblevins, j_thrill, kptvol, lewis co vol, LS Vol, MyBloodRunnethOrange, OrangeEmpire, RockyTop18, rpvol, saxvol, sickemsmokey10, T-TownVol, TennesseeVols16, tennfanatic, TEX_VOLFAN, TheDeeble, tidybowlchamps, TravisHenryCBlockedMe, TreeGreen, tvolsfan, utstu, Vol423, Vol4ever, VolDad, VolFirebirds, VolGrad 04', VolinArizona, volsforever27, VolunteerHillbilly, Voluripides, We're In Trouble

While it is upsetting to see him put our program in the hole like this. I want to see how he explains all the empty seats in the stadium in November. Then we will hear the same old argument that we can not afford a change.

The real issue for me is, when you get into this much money then how many hard working Tennesseans really feel like they can identify with this program? I see people giving up their passion each year and all of the kids are thinking soccer.

I know what he means. He thinks it is eventually coming to a fan boycott. No matter how bad Phil does against the better teams and as long as three or four of the bigger boosters back him 'yes man puppet' Homer Hamilton will appease them. I don't want to see it but it will eventually come to this to bring about change. Empty seats will be the only thing to grind down the 'Good Ole' Boy' system. Heaven knows, Phil turned us into Outlaw University and that didn't even cause a hiccup.

Abeachvol, brierboy, chattavol2, chavisut, Dawson, DC Vol, Fine Vol, G0V0LS33, gasguy98, GAVol , govols182, govolsman, Jurevicious, NationofVols, Rasputin_Vol, salutethehill, sjt18, Spent Fuel, SWIL, TennesseeT, The Dude, tng8r, VOLFAN220, VolfanMike, Volman09, vols4sure, Volsfan895, vol_freak

You have “Too much by a little” listed as Pro-Phil. How do you presume to know that?

Also one of the people you have as Pro-Phil is a Gator (tng8r). Now what does that say?

You have “Too much by a little” listed as Pro-Phil. How do you presume to know that?

Also one of the people you have as Pro-Phil is a Gator (tng8r). Now what does that say?

Um, if you click on Poll Results it lets you know how people voted. He just copy and pasted those names.

I'm not so much Nega-Phil as I am Nega-raise / buyout.

I agree. I was listed as Nega-Phil. I actually support Phil. I like him as a person and am cautiously optimistic about the next couple of years. I just think the contract sends a message that UT rewards mediocrity.

We should expect our coaches to EARN their raises and extensions.

I'm not so much Nega-Phil as I am Nega-raise / buyout.

Me too. I'm not sure how I ended up on that list though I don't belong on the other one either.

I hope CPF does well. I don't think it is time to get rid of him yet... OTOH, I don't think an automatic increase is warranted nor anything more than a 5 year contract. The incentive portion of the raise looks about right IMO.

I've also said I don't think CPF will finish this contract. He'll either win, break Neyland's record, then ride off into the sunset or pressure for non-performance will push him out.

Well, even if you think it IS time to get rid of Phil, as many do, Jake put it best when he said you really can't legitimately fire a coach who won 10 games, won the division, and won a bowl game.

I'm certainly not going to be one of those cheering for our team's failure so we can see Fulmer gone, so I remain cautiously optimistic about our team.

utvolpj
#2 Stunna, abvol, Brewerw, bronco104, getyopopcornready, GoBlGOrange, golf437, Grateful Vol, jlaw008, jwells, ledhed43, mattvols, Mullet, nyVol, Ole Dad, OrangeWilly, RussDogg, sunbrite vol, utmba93, VolBeef88, VolFan68, volfanbill, volmanbill, VolzRChamps, vol_in_ar

Nega-Phils :no:
allvol123, allvolinky, BigAl, billbattle, BleedinOrange, Business, Cartervol, champyvol, DJ2005, dobre_shunka, drewwes01, duckman398686, General Jack, head1, jakez4ut, jeblevins, j_thrill, kptvol, lewis co vol, LS Vol, MyBloodRunnethOrange, OrangeEmpire, RockyTop18, rpvol, saxvol, sickemsmokey10, T-TownVol, TennesseeVols16, tennfanatic, TEX_VOLFAN, TheDeeble, tidybowlchamps, TravisHenryCBlockedMe, TreeGreen, tvolsfan, utstu, Vol423, Vol4ever, VolDad, VolFirebirds, VolGrad 04', VolinArizona, volsforever27, VolunteerHillbilly, Voluripides, We're In Trouble

how long did this take you?

If I think not winning a SEC title in close to 10 years shouldn't lead to a reaise and a higher buyout, doe that make me a Negavol? Oh well, I thought it was being fair. My mistake.

Pretty good article

Phil Fulmer Gets a Big Raise - FanHouse - AOL Sports Blog

Tennessee seems to be giving a message to Fulmer. Instead of a reward for prior performance, it's a new expectation that the Vols will live up to their storied tradition. Usually a massive pay raise implies that the administration is wholly behind their head coach. In this case, I think the UT athletic department are saying, "You're a 3-million dollar SEC coach. Now go perform like one."

I think it's a good move by the Vols. Certainly there is room for improvement, but Fullmer has established the Vols as a perennial top 25 team challenging year in and year out for the SEC title. Sometimes you don't know what you have til it's gone.

My other D1 school that I support was one of the premier Pac-10 teams for nearly 30 years, but lost their longtime coach and are now the worst team in the Pac-10.

We need to hold onto Fullmer and when he decides its time to move on, work to bring in an equal or better replacement.

We need to hold onto Fullmer and when he decides its time to move on, work to bring in an equal or better replacement.

Wow, you want extremely low qualifications. When we rid ourselves of The Warden you want to bring in someone with the same 38% win rate against better teams???????? We would be replacing a failure with a failure.

:no::no::no::no::no:

Wow, you want extremely low qualifications. When we rid ourselves of The Warden you want to bring in someone with the same 38% win rate against better teams???????? We would be replacing a failure with a failure.

:no::no::no::no::no:

He is a Huskies fan (Vol by marriage). They have lower expectations for their coaches up there.

Welcome to the family... but raise your expectations. :)

Tennessee seems to be giving a message to Fulmer. Instead of a reward for prior performance, it's a new expectation that the Vols will live up to their storied tradition. Usually a massive pay raise implies that the administration is wholly behind their head coach. In this case, I think the UT athletic department are saying, "You're a 3-million dollar SEC coach. Now go perform like one."

That's not what it says to me at all. Not when Hamilton says things like this:

"I know he's adamant about trying to move up the ranks in SEC wins and Tennessee wins. His plans are to coach for a while, and I'm going to support him in doing that in the hopes that we'll also see some rings and trophies along the way."

By the sound of that it looks like they just want to watch him chase Neyland's record. Tennessee just paid him a ton of money and they "hope" to see some rings and trophies. But they're supporting him in the records chase. That's it.

We're paying a coach to chase records. Not SEC Championships. I'm betting this is going to be a heavy marketing focus to draw fans. Screw SEC Championships, we're going for nostalgia.

Certainly makes sense with the rediculous 8 win clause. 8 wins should be easy with our schedule.

"Certainly makes sense with the rediculous 8 win clause. 8 wins should be easy with our schedule."

In my estimation, an eight win season should be grounds for a pay reduction.

I haven't hid my extreme displeasure with this contract. Its not even that I'm against Fulmer.

It just shows that our AD is running the football program like a good ole boy's club rather than a business that is focused on being the best.

Its just the appearance of our AD being so accepting of failure to win championships and the fact that he does not appear to be objective and independent in assessing Fulmer performance and compensation...Hammy is rewarding Fulmer for failure to achieve the very goals that the he set (2 SEC championships every 10 years). Its almost insulting that he won't address this... at least admit that Fulmer has not performed up to expectations. If he still believes in him, fine, but he's hiding from his earlier message and changing the rules on the fly to fit to the circumstances.

Since when do you motivate by giving big money without meeting expectations? That breeds complacency. And we sure as heck don't need that right now.

I haven't hid my extreme displeasure with this contract. Its not even that I'm against Fulmer.

It just shows that our AD is running the football program like a good ole boy's club rather than a business that is focused on being the best.

Its just the appearance of our AD being so accepting of failure to win championships and the fact that he does not appear to be objective and independent in assessing Fulmer performance and compensation...Hammy is rewarding Fulmer for failure to achieve the very goals that the he set (2 SEC championships every 10 years). Its almost insulting that he won't address this... at least admit that Fulmer has not performed up to expectations. If he still believes in him, fine, but he's hiding from his earlier message and changing the rules on the fly to fit to the circumstances.

Since when do you motivate by giving big money without meeting expectations? That breeds complacency. And we sure as heck don't need that right now.

It really has turned into the good ole boy's club at our university. If Fulmer was at Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, or USC he would be in the unemployment line. But Hambone and Fulmer dont care about being mediocre as long as they get their money. I think we need to make Bruce Pearl the AD and make the Fulmer the janitor.

VN Store

Back