New York City

Elderly woman, 84, who NYC Mayor Eric Adams compared to 'plantation owner' is a Tenant Advocate who has Lived in the Big Apple Since she and her parents Fled the Nazis

The elderly woman New York City Mayor Eric Adams compared to a 'plantation owner' at a townhall meeting on Wednesday is a longtime tenant rights advocate whose family fled the Nazis.

Jeanie Dubnau, 84, said she attended the community conversation at a school in Upper Manhattan because she thought residents would be allowed to voice their opinion on the Rent Guidelines Board increasing the monthly payments for one million rent-stabilized apartments in the Big Apple.

72692037-12248777-image-a-6_1688076733358.jpg

Jeanie Dubnau, 84, spoke out at a community meeting Wednesday night expressing her anger over a decision to raise monthly payments on rent-stabilized apartments

Elderly woman, 84, who NYC Mayor Eric Adams compared to 'plantation owner' is a tenant advocate | Daily Mail Online

Some have jobs & families living there. I don't know how one pays NYC rent these days and still have any money left-over for food & entertainment or anything else to spend on..
On one of my other message boards a young new pilot was asking where to live in NY. I can only imagine how much money that young man will be setting on fire by living there when as an airline pilot we can live literally ANYWHERE in the world and commute to work. Yeah that commute can be a bit time consuming at times, but paying the NY tax bill and the money you flush for the convenience of driving to work imho is insanity.

But to each his own I guess.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
W

ell very few of them have $1000 in car payments and that helps
My daughter and her fiance have an apartment on West 16th St. in Manhatten and absolutely love it.
They have been there a year and plan to stay at least one more year before moving back to Atlanta.
Their apartment is tiny and I think the rent is around 3k a month. Neither have a car.
One car payment and insurance for 2 drivers with 2 cars in Atlanta would be at least a thousand a month.
When they lived in Atl their rent was about $1,500 a month.

So it turns out to be pretty much the same.

New York tax revenue falls nearly 20% while Florida, Texas gain (nypost.com)

New York state is reeling from a COVID-era exodus to low-tax locales as revenue during this fiscal year is down nearly 20%, according to a report.

New York has collected 19.5% less in levies while California has seen its state tax revenue fall by a whopping 24.9%, according to data revealed by Bloomberg News.

Meanwhile, Texas reported a 12.2% growth in state tax revenue while Florida has collected 9.9% more in levies so far this fiscal year, according to the data compiled by Urban-Brooking Tax Policy Center.

In Texas, the windfall has translated into a record $33 billion surplus, prompting Gov. Greg Abbott to seek tax cuts.

The disparity can be explained by the shrinking tax bases of New York and California.

Each state saw their populations fall by nearly 300,000 residents in the year ending last July — while Florida and Texas added 888,000 collectively, according to Census Bureau data.

Was in the city half the day yesterday.
It’s amazing how the city has descended into a stinking pile of garbage. NYC was once among my favorite places on the planet. Now it’s a just bad.

It’s amazing how the city has descended into a stinking pile of garbage. NYC was once among my favorite places on the planet. Now it’s a just bad.

Thank your local democratic mayor for promises that were made but were lies as usual.

I lived in New York City for 12 years, worked there for 21 years (commuting from Westchester County the last 9-10). Best thing I ever did.

I look at NYC as some people just really want to live there and that suits them. I get it. I don’t think I’d want to live there, but I’ve been a million times and it’s been fine when I’m there. I do think NYC needs to get serious about the spike in crime and restore its reputation it had for a long time from the mid 90s into the 2010s for being a safer city. Always helps tourism.

Considering a trip to US Open. How bad is it there? Would be taking teenage kids.

I would say it's fine, I've been to a few Mets games this year right by Arthur Ashe Stadium without even a hint of an issue. Maybe lean toward Uber over the subway after midnight in Manhattan if you want to be extra safe, but in the main tourist areas even that shouldn't really matter

Last edited:
Reactions: allvol123

Bad in what ways? I was just there for a week. It's fine---certainly in a lot better shape than during Covid.

Considering a trip to US Open. How bad is it there? Would be taking teenage kids.
Just be smart. Don’t look touristy and don’t talk to anyone. Be ready to step over a few homeless people.
I would not let it stop you from going. The shitbags looking for trouble are looking for easy targets

Reactions: allvol123

VN Store

Back