Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite Chatter

Wouldn't you be happier if they ditched their stupid desire to make gimmicky machines and just put software out for other machines? Paying a $300-400 premium to play their 3 games a year is a bit steep in my mind, especially when you have another $300 machine that plays all other non-Nintendo games better.

That's my opinion and why I'll probably never buy another Nintendo system again. Their treatment of the NES Classic has also been deplorable. They treat their consumers like crap and have for years and years.

Wouldn't you be happier if they ditched their stupid desire to make gimmicky machines and just put software out for other machines? Paying a $300-400 premium to play their 3 games a year is a bit steep in my mind, especially when you have another $300 machine that plays all other non-Nintendo games better.

That's my opinion and why I'll probably never buy another Nintendo system again. Their treatment of the NES Classic has also been deplorable. They treat their consumers like crap and have for years and years.

It seems like they'd make way more money selling their games 3rd party than continuing to release their own system just to play them.

Why wouldn't you buy it on the switch? The ease of playing it anywhere turn you off? I'm guessing it's cause it would look worse and have less features on the switch. Nintendo consoles can't survive on N games alone. The Wii U was a disaster.

The crowd of people willing to drop $400 for just Zelda and Mario is shrinking.

Yes.....which I know this question for rhetorical.

If it were just for me, I would pass, but the kids and GF see that **** and wont shut up about it.

100% yes

No because I think the industry needs Nintendo as a console provider, if ONLY to offer something as an alternative to what we already get from Sony and MS. I'm interested in the Switch partially for that very reason. I already have an X1 and PS4, both are somewhat derivative of one another. The thought of a 3rd standard "box" under my TV bores the hell out of me and already having two kind of does.

Last edited:
No because I think the industry needs Nintendo as a console provider, if ONLY to offer something as an alternative to what we already get from Sony and MS. I'm interested in the Switch partially for that very reason. I already have an X1 and PS4, both are somewhat derivative of one another. The thought of a 3rd standard "box" under my TV bores the hell out of me and already having two kind of does.

But he said Nintendo going 3rd party with their software, not making a console exactly like the other 2.

But he said Nintendo going 3rd party with their software, not making a console exactly like the other 2.

But my point is, if Nintendo pulls out of the hardware race, that only leaves Sony and MS who are basically producing PC's in a box now. That's BORING! I don't want a console industry that looks like that. I'm glad Nintendo dares to be different and tries to provide a gaming alternative that's family friendly and puts gameplay and mechanics ahead of graphics and cinematics.

I will say this though, if the rumored specs are true and the Switch is less powerful than X1 and PS4, Nintendo had better get EVERYTHING else right with this console. The power disadvantage is basically giving them zero margin of error in all other respects. They'd better have a robust line up of games along with a steady flow of new releases each month, a marked improvement in their online network infrastructure, a much improved virtual console experience, unique 3rd party titles that can't be played anywhere else, easy to use online multiplayer functionality, etc.

Last edited:
Lol. No way that ever happens with a Nintendo console. Steady flow of games? It's hard enough for Sony and MS to get games during the first year or two. This switch is garbage. Publishers won't care about it come summertime.

Get everything else right? N is in over their heads here. For the love of God, quit making stupid hardware that no one wants. Make software. It's what they are best at.

Lol. No way that ever happens with a Nintendo console. Steady flow of games? It's hard enough for Sony and MS to get games during the first year or two. This switch is garbage. Publishers won't care about it come summertime.

Get everything else right? N is in over their heads here. For the love of God, quit making stupid hardware that no one wants. Make software. It's what they are best at.

My one hope is that with Nintendo merging all of their dev studios under one roof and focusing solely on Switch, we won't see unusually long dry spells between releases. In years past Nintendo always had to divide resources to support two pieces of hardware. Now it's only one piece of hardware. People say the Wii U didn't have enough games, however if you combine the Wii U library AND the 3DS library, it's quite massive. Hopefully this will translate into a robust library for the Switch.

As for the hardware, for Nintendo style games it's good enough. I already have a PS4 and X1. What good would having equal or better hardware on Switch do for Nintendo IP's? I mean, how realistic does Mario and Donkey Kong need to look?

Last edited:
As you said, you already have 2 machines capable of playing games. Why are you happy Nintendo is going to create a 3rd, less powerful machine and charge you hundreds of dollars for it? It's crazy. It's Nintendo bending over their customers yet again.

Let's make a NES mini with a 6" controller cord. Sure, they will have to buy extensions! Let's put our old games on our crappy online service...I bet we can get customers to buy them yet again. Brilliant! Our customers like our products but we want them to suffer trying to get one. Let's cut off half the production lines. We have a new system...I bet we can sell them those old games for a 4th time again.

Nintendo blows.

Reactions: 1 person
But my point is, if Nintendo pulls out of the hardware race, that only leaves Sony and MS who are basically producing PC's in a box now. That's BORING! I don't want a console industry that looks like that. I'm glad Nintendo dares to be different and tries to provide a gaming alternative that's family friendly and puts gameplay and mechanics ahead of graphics and cinematics.

I will say this though, if the rumored specs are true and the Switch is less powerful than X1 and PS4, Nintendo had better get EVERYTHING else right with this console. The power disadvantage is basically giving them zero margin of error in all other respects. They'd better have a robust line up of games along with a steady flow of new releases each month, a marked improvement in their online network infrastructure, a much improved virtual console experience, unique 3rd party titles that can't be played anywhere else, easy to use online multiplayer functionality, etc.

So instead of them going 3rd party, you would rather gamble with them pulling off something they haven't done really well since the Super NES?

The Nintendo 64, GameCube, Wii, and Wii U all did not have a "robust line up of games", "steady flow of new releases each month", or many "unique 3rd party titles".

The GameCube had zero internet capabilities even though the PS2, Xbox, and even freakin Dreamcast had them. The Wii barely had any, and the Wii U was barely better than that.

What I keep seeing is Nintendo repeating mistakes each generation. I'll believe it when I see it that they get a robust online system. I'll believe it when I see it that they get steady, GOOD 3rd party support. And I'll believe it when I see it that they themselves have a steady supply of good 1st party titles. The Wii was the only one of those systems that was a success and let's be honest, it was 100% because of the gimmick. Most pepole bought it for Wii Sports and that was it. The 3rd party support for the Wii still sucked and most of it was either bad ports or shovelware.

My one hope is that with Nintendo merging all of their dev studios under one roof and focusing solely on Switch, we won't see unusually long dry spells between releases. In years past Nintendo always had to divide resources to support two pieces of hardware. Now it's only one piece of hardware. People say the Wii U didn't have enough games, however if you combine the Wii U library AND the 3DS library, it's quite massive. Hopefully this will translate into a robust library for the Switch.

As for the hardware, for Nintendo style games it's good enough. I already have a PS4 and X1. What good would having equal or better hardware on Switch do for Nintendo IP's? I mean, how realistic does Mario and Donkey Kong need to look?

What good is having a system period when those same Mario and Donkey Kong games can easily play on the PS4 and Xbox One? Why would you want to shell out $300 to play just play those games, when you already own 1 or 2 systems that can do it?

As you said, you already have 2 machines capable of playing games. Why are you happy Nintendo is going to create a 3rd, less powerful machine and charge you hundreds of dollars for it? It's crazy. It's Nintendo bending over their customers yet again. .

What good is having a system period when those same Mario and Donkey Kong games can easily play on the PS4 and Xbox One? Why would you want to shell out $300 to play just play those games, when you already own 1 or 2 systems that can do it?

Because those other 2 machines are not capable of playing it's games on the couch AND on the go, which is something appealing to me. And don't be so hyperbolic for god's sake. Nintendo isn't "bending over" anybody. It's your choice to buy or not to buy. Nobody's holding a gun to anyone's head.

Last edited:
Depends on how much people value the added functionality of being able to play on the go. For example, I have not played Dark Souls 3, but if it comes to Switch, as has been rumored, I'll buy it for that as I'll be able play it while on the crapper or on my lunch break at work.

Hearing someone rage on the toilet at work while playing Souls 3 could be misconstrued as a lack of fiber. Also, you poop and game a lot ITT 💩

Rumors are pointing to a $250ish price tag.

We should know the price, dates, and some games on the 13th when Nintendo shows it off in public.

$250 sounds about right.

One thing I'm hoping for is that they ramp back up the Virtual Console support. That was one of the things that really made me excited about the Wii and it was great for about 2-3 years, then the games slowed to a crawl. The Wii U's VC has been pretty much the same slow drip.

I'll be really disappointed if this trend continues, where they end up releasing just pretty much the same games already on the previous VCs and not new ones.

Some guys have figured out how to hack the mini nintendos and add games. Some dude has 85 games on his.

Some facts about the console..

Launch date: March 3rd, 2017

Base Price: 299.99

PRODUCT OVERVIEW

Introducing Nintendo Switch, the new home video game system from Nintendo. In addition to providing single and multiplayer thrills at home, the Nintendo Switch system can be taken on the go so players can enjoy a full home console experience anytime, anywhere. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system, with unprecedented new play styles brought to life by the two new Joy-Con controllers.

At home the system rests in the Nintendo Switch dock, which lets you play with family and friends on a TV in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock at any time, the system instantly transitions to handheld mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its 6.2-inch screen, which displays bright, high-definition gameplay at the park, on an airplane, in a car, or at a friend’s apartment.

Nintendo Switch comes with two Joy-Con that can each act as a standalone controller with an analog stick, a full complement of face and shoulder buttons, built in motion-sensing technology and new HD Rumble. They can be inserted into a Joy-Con grip accessory to be used like a traditional controller, held comfortably in each hand for independent left and right motion controls, or shared between two players for instant multiplayer gaming in front of the TV or out on the go.

PLAY ANYWHERE

• Home Gaming System
• At home the main unit rests in the Nintendo Switch dock, which connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room.

• On-the-Go
• Lift Nintendo Switch from the dock and instantly transition to handheld mode for on-the-go gaming. By sharing Joy-Con, players can go head-to-head while away from home. You can also enjoy the same great games in tabletop mode by using the included stand to prop the system up.

• New Play Styles
o Remove the detachable Joy-Con from either side of Nintendo Switch for more play styles:
• One player can use a Joy-Con in each hand • Two players can each take one
• Multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options (additional Joy-Con sold separately)
• Slip a set of Joy-Con into a Joy-Con grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.
o Bring together up to 8 Nintendo Switch systems for local face-to-face multiplayer.

• Joy-Con
o Includes traditional inputs of previous platforms, such as two analog sticks, A/B/X/Y buttons (or directional buttons), and two shoulder buttons.
o Each Joy-Con can be used as a single controller. When playing this way, Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con (R) have the same button layout. When a Joy-Con is held horizontally, the buttons on top can be used as L and R Buttons (they are called the SL and SR Buttons).
o Capture Button: The Capture Button is located on Joy-Con (L) and is used to take gameplay screen shots.
The player can then view, edit (add text of various sizes, colors and positions) and post them to popular social media networks
o Motion Control: Each Joy-Con includes a gyroscope and accelerometer.
o HD Rumble: Both Joy-Con include advanced HD Rumble, which can provide compatible games with subtle vibrations that are much more realistic than before. The effect is so detailed that a player could, for example, feel the sensation of individual ice cubes colliding inside a glass when shaking a Joy-Con. With HD Rumble you can experience a level of realism not possible through sights and sounds alone.
o IR Motion Camera: Joy-Con (R) includes an IR Motion Camera that can detect the distance, shape and motion of nearby objects in specially designed games. For example, it can tell how far away a player’s hand is, and even if the hand is forming a rock, paper or scissors shape.
o amiibo: There is an NFC reader/writer located on Joy-Con (R). (This is also included in the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.) Nintendo Switch is compatible with existing amiibo; usage is game-dependent.
o Rechargeable: Joy-Con charge while attached to a docked Nintendo Switch system. They can also be charged using a Nintendo Switch charging grip accessory (sold separately).
o Colors: Joy-Con are available in multiple colors at launch: gray, neon red and neon blue.
o Release Button: On the back of each Joy-Con is a small button that is pressed to detach the controller
from the main unit.

• Enhanced Parental Controls
o The system includes various on-device parental controls, but parents can also download a smart device application that can be used to easily and conveniently monitor and set parental controls for a Nintendo Switch system.

OTHER DETAILS
• Screen: Nintendo Switch has a 6.2-inch capacitive multi-touch screen that can display a resolution of 1280 x 720.
• Dock: The Nintendo Switch dock holds, powers, and charges the system, and outputs video and audio fromthe system to a TV or external display.
• Stand: A stand on the back of the main unit can be deployed to position the system upright in tabletop mode.
• Media: Game cards
• Video Output: HDMI; up to 1080p resolution when played in TV mode (up to 720p when played in handheld or tabletop mode)
• Audio Output: TV Mode supports 5.1 channel surround sound. Using the system’s built-in audio jack, stereo speakers or headphones can be used when played in handheld or tabletop modes.
• Battery: Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage conditions. For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly three hours on a
single charge. While away from home, Nintendo Switch can be charged by plugging the AC adapter into the console’s USB Type-C connector.
• Storage: Nintendo Switch has 32GB of internal storage, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system, and has the option to expand its capacity using microSDXC or microSDHC memory cards.
• SoC: Custom Tegra processor powered by NVIDIA
• Other: USB ports on the Nintendo Switch dock can be used to charge accessories such as the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and Joy-Con attached to a Joy-Con charging grip. The USB ports can also be used witha USB LAN adaptor to connect to the Internet.
• Networking: Nintendo Switch can connect to the Internet via a wireless (IEEE 802.11ac) connection. In addition, up to 8 systems can connect over a local wireless connection in compatible multiplayer games. While docked, Nintendo Switch can also use a wired Internet connection by connecting a LAN Adapter.

You'll really excited about this? Still looks 2005 graphics to me.

You all just like the detachability/mobile aspect or what?

You'll really excited about this? Still looks 2005 graphics to me.

You all just like the detachability/mobile aspect or what?

I'm not as excited as I was. I'll still get one but I doubt it will be until later in the year.

Nintendo is also getting a paid online system similar to Xbox Live and the PSN.

Anything like achievements/trophies or any other game-tracking/leaderboard system?

What about past digital purchases? Will it play my Wii NES & SNES digital purchases? Or will it be a new account?

I noticed stuff about LAN play, but any news on online gaming? Voice chat or parties?

Sorry if any of this was discussed already, I just skimmed 😅

Anything like achievements/trophies or any other game-tracking/leaderboard system?

What about past digital purchases? Will it play my Wii NES & SNES digital purchases? Or will it be a new account?

I noticed stuff about LAN play, but any news on online gaming? Voice chat or parties?

Sorry if any of this was discussed already, I just skimmed 😅

Not sure about achievements, but probably so. They are also going to have "free" games each month like the other 2.

As far as your past purchases, you'll likely have to buy them again, although you'll probably get a discount like you did from Wii to Wii U.

VN Store

Back