Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I know a lot of people criticized this comment the last time but….If Caroline were my daughter we would be done with basketball. I don’t care how much the kid, the coaches etc. want her to play, that would be the parental hill I would die on. Sometimes parents have to be the adults.

She would not be playing if the UConn medical staff did not clear her to play. Since none of us have the inside track on her medical condition we should probably leave her availability to the experts. I do knoew that she would not be in the game if the medical pros didn't clear her to play. At 20 y/o Ducharme is an adult.

She would not be playing if the UConn medical staff did not clear her to play. Since none of us have the inside track on her medical condition we should probably leave her availability to the experts. I do knoew that she would not be in the game if the medical pros didn't clear her to play. At 20 y/o Ducharme is an adult.
Wow! I hardly know where to start on this. First take off your UConn glasses. Medical staffs are hired by the university and are under pressure to get kids back on the court and it is possible that players are not always honest when reporting symptoms/progress.
Second, a 20 year old is not an adult, they still need parental guidance at times. Not all the time and sometimes you just let them go on and make mistakes. This is not that type of situation. Her long term health is on the table. Her parents need to take charge here. If you love the players as much as you love the program you would want her off the floor indefinitely.

Wow! I hardly know where to start on this. First take off your UConn glasses. Medical staffs are hired by the university and are under pressure to get kids back on the court and it is possible that players are not always honest when reporting symptoms/progress.
Second, a 20 year old is not an adult, they still need parental guidance at times. Not all the time and sometimes you just let them go on and make mistakes. This is not that type of situation. Her long term health is on the table. Her parents need to take charge here. If you love the players as much as you love the program you would want her off the floor indefinitely.

So, are you saying or implying that the athletic trainers/medical staff at UT do or would take shortcuts to get an athlete, any athlete, back in the game, lineup or practice? Either way you answer, let’s be very clear here that athletic trainers and medical staff at colleges/universities have a very strict code of care and they can be held liable for their decisions. To say or imply that they are pressured to disregard to some degree the health of an athlete just because it’s UCONN is plain silly. And yes I know because my daughter was a trainer at Texas Tech.

So, are you saying or implying that the athletic trainers/medical staff at UT do or would take shortcuts to get an athlete, any athlete, back in the game, lineup or practice? Either way you answer, let’s be very clear here that athletic trainers and medical staff at colleges/universities have a very strict code of care and they can be held liable for their decisions. To say or imply that they are pressured to disregard to some degree the health of an athlete just because it’s UCONN is plain silly. And yes I know because my daughter was a trainer at Texas Tech.
No, I was not throwing dispersions at them at all. I am sure they try to do the best for student athletes. I do, however, think they are trying to get the kids well enough to play again and the kids want back on the court ASAP and may not always be forthcoming as to symptoms etc. and my thoughts on this have nothing to do with it being a UConn player. UT had a basketball player several years ago who suffered multiple concussions and finally retired. This is now a chronic problem for this player. If I were her parent we would be done with basketball. I will feel the same way if God forbid, TK redevelops pulmonary blood clots. The risk is just not worth it.
I find it strange that the replies seem to be about protecting UConn or the professional reputation of trainers. How about being concerned for the player?

No, I was not throwing dispersions at them at all. I am sure they try to do the best for student athletes. I do, however, think they are trying to get the kids well enough to play again and the kids want back on the court ASAP and may not always be forthcoming as to symptoms etc. and my thoughts on this have nothing to do with it being a UConn player. UT had a basketball player several years ago who suffered multiple concussions and finally retired. This is now a chronic problem for this player. If I were her parent we would be done with basketball. I will feel the same way if God forbid, TK redevelops pulmonary blood clots. The risk is just not worth it.
I find it strange that the replies seem to be about protecting UConn or the professional reputation of trainers. How about being concerned for the player?

When you tell a poster to take off the UCONN glasses and say the medical staff at UCONN isn’t taking the players health to heart and doing what is best for the athlete, that is throwing shade, both at the school and medical staff. I don’t understand how protecting the sanctity and character of a group of people on staff of medical professionals at UCONN is difficult. Unless you have first hand knowledge that UCONN trainers and medical staff have been negligent, it may be best to drop the subject. For your best interest.

Reactions: dlhx
Try telling that to the athlete. My nephew plays college soccer and has had a few concussions. He's 20 and ultimately makes his own choices. His parents trust the medical staff. These kids love the game and many would go kicking and screaming if you took that away from them.

Reactions: Harpethriverkid63
Regarding Ducharme, if my child had been hit in the head and face and under concussion protocol as much as she has, the decision of whether to continue would not be in the hands of the coaches, the team, nor their medical staff. I'd take all their findings, plus those of MANY other head trauma experts, into consideration. But that final decision would be mine and my family's.

Reactions: Lucy
She wouldn't be cleared if she weren't medically fine to compete. There's too much at stake for staff to clear her without being certain she's good to go.

That said, being medically fine to compete doesn't take away the fact that Ducharme appears to have consistently horrible luck. Spectacularly sh!tty luck! It is for THAT reason, if I were her parent, I'd probably be thinking strongly that my daughter may have pushed her bad luck far enough.

I'm glad I don't have to make decisions like that. Either decision could be devastating.

She wouldn't be cleared if she weren't medically fine to compete. There's too much at stake for staff to clear her without being certain she's good to go.
Totally agree. But medically cleared is not Dad cleared. There's still alot we don't know about repeative concussive injury. I'm going w my eyes on this one. Call it luck or whatever, but I've seen her knocked woozy and be out on concussion protocal more than enough.

Reactions: Lucy
When you tell a poster to take off the UCONN glasses and say the medical staff at UCONN isn’t taking the players health to heart and doing what is best for the athlete, that is throwing shade, both at the school and medical staff. I don’t understand how protecting the sanctity and character of a group of people on staff of medical professionals at UCONN is difficult. Unless you have first hand knowledge that UCONN trainers and medical staff have been negligent, it may be best to drop the subject. For your best interest.
Are you threatening me?
I am not doubting the medical staff at UConn. I am saying, if I were the parent, meaning the person above all others who has the best interests of that child at heart, I would remove her from basketball.
I have reported your threat to the moderator .

Last word on this for me: Medical clearance not withstanding, if my child suffered multiple head injuries doing an activity and then asked to continue that activity, the answer is hell to the NO. Not sure what's hard about this.

Try telling that to the athlete. My nephew plays college soccer and has had a few concussions. He's 20 and ultimately makes his own choices. His parents trust the medical staff. These kids love the game and many would go kicking and screaming if you took that away from them.
I understand. It would be devastating. You show your children you love them by setting boundaries and saying no.

Are you threatening me?
I am not doubting the medical staff at UConn. I am saying, if I were the parent, meaning the person above all others who has the best interests of that child at heart, I would remove her from basketball.
I have reported your threat to the moderator .

Great. Report it. I was only saying that if you were accusing a medical staff of nothing short of malpractice, you could be liable and best to leave it alone.
See how implying things work…..

And stop being so sensitive.

Regarding Ducharme, if my child had been hit in the head and face and under concussion protocol as much as she has, the decision of whether to continue would not be in the hands of the coaches, the team, nor their medical staff. I'd take all their findings, plus those of MANY other head trauma experts, into consideration. But that final decision would be mine and my family's.

Actually, I believe Ducharme has been diagnosed with a concussion only once and that was last season. After that she took a couple of hits to the head and was held out as a precaution. I think that's what happened in an exhibition game in Europe.

I cannot understand the "if it was my kid I wouldn't let her play" from some posters. Especially since none of us have a clue about anything that she has discussed with her parents. What is important is that she has been cleared to play, even though it was by an incompetent medical staff more concerned with getting an injured athlete back in the game than they are with the athlete's health. And that must be true because LUCY said so.

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uc...icle/caroline-ducharme-concussion-18153621.ph

Kim has to be trolling at this point. Her Baylor schedules were bad but this is next level.

I doubt it affects them regardless but what a waste for such a talented team. From a fan experience this would suck. Sadly last year probably gives her the ammo to do this every year moving forward, add in the SEC being way better than the Big 12, she has zero incentive to want to do any more now.

Last edited:
Mulkey hates her fans! 😩😩😩😂😂😂 this is horrible!

View attachment 571873
Holy Cow this is unbelievable. Where does she even find this many cupcakes willing to be gobbled? Of course it worked for her last year so I guess we shouldn't have expected her to change anything. And gives her roster of stars a chance to pad stats. Not very season ticket holder friendly for sure.

That program is going to be in for a rude awakening. You aren’t building a contender year in and year out without being battled tested. Last season, the entire SEC itself was going through changes outside of South Carolina and other teams played better at the end of the season. South Carolina destroyed LSU. Tennessee beat them in the SEC tourney. During SEC play this season, following this weak non conference schedule it’s going to expose LSU. They could average a 100 pts a game before getting into SEC play.
Then the pressure of the SEC will burst the pipe... I’m actually looking forward to it.

That program is going to be in for a rude awakening. You aren’t building a contender year in and year out without being battled tested. Last season, the entire SEC itself was going through changes outside of South Carolina and other teams played better at the end of the season. South Carolina destroyed LSU. Tennessee beat them in the SEC tourney. During SEC play this season, following this weak non conference schedule it’s going to expose LSU. They could average a 100 pts a game before getting into SEC play.
Then the pressure of the SEC will burst the pipe... I’m actually looking forward to it.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree, she did it at Baylor ever single year and has 4 titles. Kim is a good coach, her teams are consistently excellent regardless of who they play.

The miss/failure in on this is LSU has some of the biggest names, talents and personalities in the sport. And instead of going out and scheduling more quality teams to uplift the sport, this is what we get. Its a waste and a failure for the sport that this is the route she is choosing. But more power to them. Its going to suck for their fanbase. Minus the VT game every game will be over by the end of the 1Q during their home slate

Kim has to be trolling at this point. Her Baylor schedules were bad but this is next level.

I doubt it affects them regardless but what a waste for such a talented team. From a fan experience this would suck. Sadly last year probably gives her the ammo to do this every year moving forward, add in the SEC being way better than the Big 12, she has zero incentive to want to do any more now.
The thing is though, how does this help a player like Reese develop a skill set for the next level? You often get better by playing the best, if you are only seeing the best a few games a season, how do you improve?

VN Store

Back