Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

The thing is though, how does this help a player like Reese develop a skill set for the next level? You often get better by playing the best, if you are only seeing the best a few games a season, how do you improve?
I mean you can still develop but much slower time frame not playing as many talented teams

But in Reese's case, her not improving her game this year may come back to her not doing anything at all over the summer and thats on her, not Mulkey's scheduling.. The summer IMO is where you individually expand your game. When fall camp rolls around its mostly on team development, individual work still happens but on a much smaller level than in summer where its all about you. So if Reese underperforms next year, its going to be very easy to go back and point to her not spending a single practice with her team the entire summer and traveling the country every week shopping NIL opportunities.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree, she did it at Baylor ever single year and has 4 titles. Kim is a good coach, her teams are consistently excellent regardless of who they play.

The miss/failure in on this is LSU has some of the biggest names, talents and personalities in the sport. And instead of going out and scheduling more quality teams to uplift the sport, this is what we get. Its a waste and a failure for the sport that this is the route she is choosing. But more power to them. Its going to suck for their fanbase. Minus the VT game every game will be over by the end of the 1Q during their home slate

Okay. LSU is not what Baylor was then and neither is Mulkey ever going to get LSU to that level of being a championship contender year in and year out. They won last season and it’s a credit to how they competed in the tourney and it took a great deal of luck especially against Utah to hoist the trophy. Now some folks will agree and defend anything teams do that aren’t named Tennessee on this board. They’ll get the support and likes from the naysayers to back it up. I’m not attacking you just stating it plainly. There’s no defense for the schedule.
No ifs, ands, or buts about it this ain’t that and LSU will get exposed probably multiple times for playing a schedule like this one when they face the best of the best.
I’m looking forward to it.

So if Reese underperforms next year, its going to be very easy to go back and point to her not spending a single practice with her team the entire summer and traveling the country every week shopping NIL opportunities.
Do we know that? She did spend alot of time on NIL biz but we don't know if she worked out or got shots up as well. We know in Mexico it looked like she hadn't touched a ball in decades, but that might not have really been the case.

Instead, I suspect Angel may have hit a ceiling of her abilities. I just think she got exposed against very physical, very experienced post players and really loose refs. I don't think she's going to learn an offensive game at this point. I expect her to score less this season, but it probably won't hurt them.

If I was a Sr on that team, I'd be really disappointed that 1/3 of my last season is that embarrassing crap.

Last edited:
Okay. LSU is not what Baylor was then and neither is Mulkey ever going to get LSU to that level of being a championship contender year in and year out. They won last season and it’s a credit to how they competed in the tourney and it took a great deal of luck especially against Utah to hoist the trophy. Now some folks will agree and defend anything teams do that aren’t named Tennessee on this board. They’ll get the support and likes from the naysayers to back it up. I’m not attacking you just stating it plainly. There’s no defense for the schedule.
No ifs, ands, or buts about it this ain’t that and LSU will get exposed probably multiple times for playing a schedule like this one when they face the best of the best.
I’m looking forward to it.

I dislike Kim, I don't think she is a good person and she puts winning before doing the right thing 10/10 times. Her treatment of specific players is completely nasty and unacceptable.

But she is a damn good coach. I loved Nikki but she left a mess and Kim was able to take that 9-13 team to 26-6 year one. Kim left a power house she built at Baylor (who was successful only because of her) to come back home and she won a title in year 2 during a rebuilding year losing 90% of the roster and working with essentially spare parts outside of Morris/Reese. Will she dominate at LSU the same way she did at Baylor? I doubt it, the SEC is way too strong year in and out to tower over everyone. But she is starting to land the elite of the elite recruits (HS/Portal). I suspect LSU will be in the mix nationally until she retires like. My comments do not equate to saying LSU will run the SEC, I think SC, TN and even others are just that good to do that. She will win her share of games but so will TN and SC. Its entirely possible LSU, TN and SC can be top tier teams competing nationally every year and thats what is going to make this conference a special place to play for recruits.

And yes the Utah game was pure luck at the end but sometimes luck is needed in the NCAAT. In mens basketball, its not always about the best team, you need some breaks, you need to get hot at the right time. Thats why its called MARCH MADNESS... the wbb side is now seeing more parity than ever before and will continue to do so.

With that said, I strongly believe Harper will have TN in the mix nationally as well. I like where TN stands and what harper has going. The addition of Texas and OU next year will only raise the level of competition in the SEC which is exciting

"LadyVol1908, post: 22985944, member: 64880"]Mulkey hates her fans! 😩😩😩😂😂😂 this is horrible!

This schedule is ludicrous. LSU could have easily set records this year for the most WBB season tickets they have ever sold and perhaps be second to Iowa in attendance nationally. I seriously doubt that will be the case, as who really wants to see such noncompetitive games for the entire pre-SEC season, which is about half of all the home games. On the other hand, she might be thinking if it isn't broke, why fix it. Nevertheless, this is a bummer for LSU fans and WBB fans that will now miss out on intriguing national matchups on TV to see who might topple the defending champs.

The thing is though, how does this help a player like Reese develop a skill set for the next level? You often get better by playing the best, if you are only seeing the best a few games a season, how do you improve?

This schedule is a complete disgrace, but it's typical Mulkey? This cupcake OOC Schedule allows Mulkey to pad the team's and the players' stats? Not to mention Mulkey's own win %......:mad:

LSU will once again be bragging about Angel's amazing double doubles, the GREAT team's beatdown of some poor cupcake academy and Mulkey's amazing coaching??

I hope we somehow, someway kick their keisters and SC does as well.

Mulkey has become a complete disgrace?

Do we know that? She did spend alot of time on NIL biz but we don't know if she worked out or got shots up as well. We know in Mexico it looked like she hadn't touched a ball in decades, not that might not have really been the case.

Instead, I suspect Angel may have hit a ceiling of her abilities. I just think she got exposed against very physical, very experienced post players and really loose refs. I don't think she's going to learn an offensive game at this point. I expect her to score less this season, but it probably won't hurt them.

If I was a Sr on that team, I'd be really disappointed that 1/3 of my last season is that embarrassing crap.

Boston took Reese to school and exposed her. I wonder how she'll perform against SC this season?

I suppose you are right, if she can expand her offense under Branda and Mulkey, maybe it isn't meant to be.

I will say Reese is an elite rebounder but Kim has far more well rounded posts in college. Egbo, Smith, Kalani Brown are doing well in the WNBA right now, but I struggle to see Reese do much without elevating her game offensively. Got to have versatility at the next level but we will see what she looks like by March

I have a Coach Crush on Teri Moren of Indiana.

Championship Productions on Instagram: "'L.A. Quick Hitter' with Teri Moren! This video is from the instructional coaching video: 'Teri Moren: Daily Vitamins & Chin Series Breakdown Drills' Address your team's skills and basketball IQ head on with these ‘daily vitamins’ and learn a versatile offense that can be effective against man or zone defenses! Learn ‘Daily Vitamins’ that will help reinforce great communication and will fine-tune making perfect passes! Obtain a clear understanding of Chin Series alignment and spacing to give you an advantage in transition and flowing into half-court offense! Learn Coach Moren’s Chin Series Breakdown to teach your players when and where to look for scoring opportunities by breaking down each option one by one! See two quick hitting options that add in a high ball screen and scoring option for a knock down shooter! with Teri Moren, Indiana University Women's Basketball Head Coach; 2023 AP National Coach of the Year ; 2023 Kay Yow Award; 2023 Big Ten Regular Season Champions ; 2x Big Ten Coach of the Year (2016, 2023)⭐⭐️; 2021 NCAA Tournament Elite Eight; 2018 WNIT Champions; All-Time Winningest Coach in IU Women's Basketball History; 2023 USA Women's U19 National Team Assistant Coach (Gold medal); 2022 USA Women's U18 National Team Assistant Coach (Gold medal) Indiana’s Teri Moren has built a culture centered on strong relationships, high standards, and taking care of the basketball. Focusing on fundamentals has become their ‘daily vitamins’. These vitamins are the perfect preparation for the Chin Series Moren’s team uses to dominate a tough Big Ten Conference. In this video, Coach Moren goes in depth into sharing her program’s Daily Vitamins and introduces the basics of the Chin Series showcasing what contributed to Indiana winning the Big Ten Conference in 2023. learn more here: https://www.championshipproductions.com/cgi-bin/champ/p/Basketball/Teri-Moren-Daily-Vitamins-Chin-Series-Breakdown-Drills_BD-06142.html?mv_source=Instagram #foryou #womensbasketball #indianabasketball #wbb #basketballcoach #basketball #greatplay #championshipproductions"

Mulkey hates her fans! 😩😩😩😂😂😂 this is horrible!

View attachment 571873

LOL WHAT -- WHAT THE HELL.

If Hostess isn't sponsoring LSU this year, then they're missing out, because DAMN. This is like squeezing the filling out of sixteen twinkies into a bowl. This sort of scheduling should flat disqualify teams from getting anything remotely closer to a good seed. If they aren't 16-0 to start the SEC, then they are truly a sorry bunch this year.

I wonder what excuse Mulkey will cough up this time around? Last year she said it was because "she didn't know what she had", and that they were "already on the phone to improve the non-conference schedule next year." What a load. Seriously, this is more or less extending practice for two more months and refusing to play anyone (outside of maybe two marginal challenges) before the conference schedule. It's a good thing coaches like Pat put in the hard work "growing the game" because people like Mulkey sure as hell couldn't -- and wouldn't, apparently. Good grief. I am flabbergasted. Defending champions and they can't even be bothered to try.

Last edited:
Last word on this for me: Medical clearance not withstanding, if my child suffered multiple head injuries doing an activity and then asked to continue that activity, the answer is hell to the NO. Not sure what's hard about this.
Totally agree with this and it wouldnt even be a discussion

Reactions: Lucy
Totally agree with this and it wouldn't even be a discussion
Do you think the pollsters will keep LSU #1 in the polls with this embarrassment of an OOC schedule? While UConn, Iowa, Indiana, and Tennessee are knocking out real D1 teams will they keep LSU #1 when they are beating their opponents by 50+ points? I wonder how Van Lith and Morrow feel about playing these teams after leaving Louisville and DePaul, teams that usually play a decent OOC schedule.? Lastly, the fans. I would not pay to see UConn play these type of teams, and as a XL Center season ticket holder I would not renew my seats knowing this would be what I would have to watch. Maybe she is just trying to catch up to Pat, Geno, and Tara with wins. For a defending national champ, this is just embarrassing.

I dislike Kim, I don't think she is a good person and she puts winning before doing the right thing 10/10 times. Her treatment of specific players is completely nasty and unacceptable.

But she is a damn good coach. I loved Nikki but she left a mess and Kim was able to take that 9-13 team to 26-6 year one. Kim left a power house she built at Baylor (who was successful only because of her) to come back home and she won a title in year 2 during a rebuilding year losing 90% of the roster and working with essentially spare parts outside of Morris/Reese. Will she dominate at LSU the same way she did at Baylor? I doubt it, the SEC is way too strong year in and out to tower over everyone. But she is starting to land the elite of the elite recruits (HS/Portal). I suspect LSU will be in the mix nationally until she retires like. My comments do not equate to saying LSU will run the SEC, I think SC, TN and even others are just that good to do that. She will win her share of games but so will TN and SC. Its entirely possible LSU, TN and SC can be top tier teams competing nationally every year and thats what is going to make this conference a special place to play for recruits.

And yes the Utah game was pure luck at the end but sometimes luck is needed in the NCAAT. In mens basketball, its not always about the best team, you need some breaks, you need to get hot at the right time. Thats why its called MARCH MADNESS... the wbb side is now seeing more parity than ever before and will continue to do so.

With that said, I strongly believe Harper will have TN in the mix nationally as well. I like where TN stands and what harper has going. The addition of Texas and OU next year will only raise the level of competition in the SEC which is exciting
The argument that she was left a mess by Nikki is far from the truth, she doesn't go 26-6 in her first year there without the services of Pointer, Cherry, Aifuwa, Payne, and Trausi (all of which were senior players that Nikki brought to LSU) the only additions she added was Morris and Newby (another 5th year player from Vandy who had experience playing in the SEC)

She was able to take the success of that team and land the likes of Flau'jae, Angel, Carson, Poole, and Williams

The argument that she was left a mess by Nikki is far from the truth, she doesn't go 26-6 in her first year there without the services of Pointer, Cherry, Aifuwa, Payne, and Trausi (all of which were senior players that Nikki brought to LSU) the only additions she added was Morris and Newby (another 5th year player from Vandy who had experience playing in the SEC)
That same core went 9-13 the year before but truthfully the addition of Morris changed everything for LSU that first year. Pointer didn't have any help the year prior and had to basically do everything on her own. Cherry and Faustine weren't bad players but very inconsistent at times. Without Morris transferring in, the rebuild at LSU is much larger and still ongoing.

you need quality players to be competitive, no matter how good of a coach you are IMO. And even Geno said it best... you aren't winning national titles or competing for them without landing at least some top prospects.

I think TN has what it takes this year to get back to the final four. Jackson is surrounded by a lot of great pieces. Lets hope for a healthy and successful year. A trip to the final four IMO would go a long way and make major strides in the HS ranks as well. We know Harper will continue to land elite talents in the portal as well

Can someone help me understand how an article about Nebraska volleyball setting the all time record for attendance turned into a love letter to women’s soccer and Brandi Chastain?

ESPN has gotten so weird lately.

Can someone help me understand how an article about Nebraska volleyball setting the all time record for attendance turned into a love letter to women’s soccer and Brandi Chastain?

ESPN has gotten so weird lately.
I think the fact they drew 92,003 to a volleyball match would get lots of love!

I think the fact they drew 92,003 to a volleyball match would get lots of love!

That’s what I mean! I can’t fathom why the article needed to make a left turn into women’s soccer. Everything ESPN puts out has to have a leftist political slant.

Their Instagram page is more like TMZ at this point. The world championships for track and gymnastics have been happening with nary a post. Instead they post garbage.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
That’s what I mean! I can’t fathom why the article needed to make a left turn into women’s soccer. Everything ESPN puts out has to have a leftist political slant.

Their Instagram page is more like TMZ at this point. The world championships for track and gymnastics have been happening with nary a post. Instead they post garbage.
The article referenced women's soccer bc that game held the previous women's sports event attendance record. That record stood for a long time. That's all. Don't know about ESPN insta, but their twitter is full to the gills of gymnastics/Biles and track/Richarson. So much so I'm good and tired of both.

Man that many people filling the nosebleeds for a volleyball match is mind bogling. Didn't know Nebraska was so dominant in that sport. I'm curious what their women's basketball attendance looks like.

The article referenced women's soccer bc that game held the previous women's sports event attendance record. That record stood for a long time. That's all. Don't know about ESPN insta, but their twitter is full to the gills of gymnastics/Biles and track/Richarson. So much so I'm good and tired of both.

Man that many people filling the nosebleeds for a volleyball match is mind bogling. Didn't know Nebraska was so dominant in that sport. I'm curious what their women's basketball attendance looks like.

Their volleyball team is super fun to watch. Wonderful program with a history of excellence. The finals are almost always in Nebraska because the crowd is absolutely lit.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

They literally only referenced the USWNT soccer team and Brandi Chastain in one tiny paragraph in that whole, huge article ONLY to reference that this game broke the record in the USA that the 1999 women’s World Cup final had set for attendance for a women’s sporting event in the US. Did you read something else that no one else did? It was for context because that record stood since 1999. Were any other superlatives for that team mentioned?

Last edited:

Nebraska women’s volleyball regularly leads the nation in attendance for women’s sports along with Utah gymnastics. Both often more than women’s basketball. Not always officially tracked but they usually do.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back