Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

If I’m UConn, Paige shouldn’t play in this overseas tournament. I’d rest her until the season given how she hasn’t been healthy in over 2 years
Originally the plan was that she would not play in the 3 games overseas. However, the plan now is she will have 3 days of full 5 on 5 practice and then she will determine how much she feels she can play.

If I’m UConn, Paige shouldn’t play in this overseas tournament. I’d rest her until the season given how she hasn’t been healthy in over 2 years
That's certainly a fan's first instinct. I'm still not fully recovered fm Rickea being helped off the court in the first 5 mins of Americup and I want her wrapped in a velvet bubble until November. But . . .

Recently Kellie was talking about Tamari and she mentioned how mental recovery is as much a factor as physical. Said being an elite athlete is a mindset that's fragile and sometimes hard to reclaim after a long injury lay off. Paige needs her coaches and team to have confidence in her recovery. Let her play. If it's going to happen it's going to happen, whether in Europe or in pre season practice in Storrs. Got to let the thoroughbred run, with due caution to how she feels of course.

I surprise myself by truly hoping both Paige and Azzi are able to have full, injury free seasons. Those kids deserve that. Also, we're not playing them this year so . . .

That's certainly a fan's first instinct. I'm still not fully recovered fm Rickea being helped off the court in the first 5 mins of Americup and I want her wrapped in a velvet bubble until November. But . . .

Recently Kellie was talking about Tamari and she mentioned how mental recovery is as much a factor as physical. Said being an elite athlete is a mindset that's fragile and sometimes hard to reclaim after a long injury lay off. Paige needs her coaches and team to have confidence in her recovery. Let her play. If it's going to happen it's going to happen, whether in Europe or in pre season practice in Storrs. Got to let the thoroughbred run, with due caution to how she feels of course.

I surprise myself by truly hoping both Paige and Azzi are able to have full, injury free seasons. Those kids deserve that. Also, we're not playing them this year so . . .

With few exceptions I think most WCBB fans still practice "hate the program - not the player."

With few exceptions I think most WCBB fans still practice "hate the program - not the player."
Thats the way it should be with any team. These players are there for 4 years and have nothing to do with the history of the program. Just good college basketball players trying to do what they do best for their school. Unless something negative happens, they are all good kids.

Thats the way it should be with any team. These players are there for 4 years and have nothing to do with the history of the program. Just good college basketball players trying to do what they do best for their school. Unless something negative happens, they are all good kids.

*checks notes*

Sophie Cunningham was def a player people hated and the program 😂

We're playing them this year. We're sending them home in the Elite Eight!

Since anyone, at any time, can be injured doing anyTHING regardless of whether it's during some kind of athletic exercise or casually walking through the park, it makes no sense to "save" a player who has been deemed healthy enough to participate.

Bueckers has waited long enough. If she's ready to go, let her play while she's still young and strong. I have a feeling it'll come down to her and Clark and Brink for NPOY this season, and I'm looking forward to watching all three.

Since anyone, at any time, can be injured doing anyTHING regardless of whether it's during some kind of athletic exercise or casually walking through the park, it makes no sense to "save" a player who has been deemed healthy enough to participate.

Bueckers has waited long enough. If she's ready to go, let her play while she's still young and strong. I have a feeling it'll come down to her and Clark and Brink for NPOY this season, and I'm looking forward to watching all three.
I think Rickea Jackson has a chance for NPOTY.

those will definitely be the ones pushed down our throats at least 😂 ... But you gotta add Angel Reese to that conversation and I would say Rickea as well. She is going to put people on notice. Another intriguing player who will garner a lot of interest this year will be Olivia Miles the PG from Notre Dame.

Rickea was the best player on the team that played in Mexico without her they don't win a medal. Reese played really bad in that tourney, but she does well in the LSU system. Clark will again be a one woman show don't know if she has as much help with that team as she had last season. UConn is loaded much better than last season I can see them definitley be a final four team. ESPN is putting LSU first in their too early 25 but I don't see them as the number one team. They don't have the three point shooting and they now have three people who love to shoot the ball a lot two of which are not that efficient meaning they need a lot of shot attempts to score a lot of points. They do look to be the best rebounding team in the country.
We'll be a terrific team if a few players you expect to really progress as juniors actually do so. I like Wells and Sears at the one and two they can light up a three at anytime. Their ability to shoot out there where last season we had players at those positions that could not really opens it up for Rickea and Tamari inside. Pick your poison much more than last season. All indications are that Tamari is fully recovered and that makes for the first time in a while a Tennessee team that can put five players on the floor that can all score at a very efficient percentage.

those will definitely be the ones pushed down our throats at least 😂 ... But you gotta add Angel Reese to that conversation and I would say Rickea as well. She is going to put people on notice. Another intriguing player who will garner a lot of interest this year will be Olivia Miles the PG from Notre Dame.

Good points.

Rickea was the best player on the team that played in Mexico without her they don't win a medal. Reese played really bad in that tourney, but she does well in the LSU system. Clark will again be a one woman show don't know if she has as much help with that team as she had last season. UConn is loaded much better than last season I can see them definitley be a final four team. ESPN is putting LSU first in their too early 25 but I don't see them as the number one team. They don't have the three point shooting and they now have three people who love to shoot the ball a lot two of which are not that efficient meaning they need a lot of shot attempts to score a lot of points. They do look to be the best rebounding team in the country.
We'll be a terrific team if a few players you expect to really progress as juniors actually do so. I like Wells and Sears at the one and two they can light up a three at anytime. Their ability to shoot out there where last season we had players at those positions that could not really opens it up for Rickea and Tamari inside. Pick your poison much more than last season. All indications are that Tamari is fully recovered and that makes for the first time in a while a Tennessee team that can put five players on the floor that can all score at a very efficient percentage.

I think CT will win the natty fairly easily IF a Huskie miracle happens and everyone stays healthy. Of course, they're like us in that they rarely -- if ever -- have a full season without someone getting injured. But if they lost just one, unless it's PB again they'll hoist that damn trophy.

As for Reese in Mexico, I got the impression she may not have done much to prepare for that tournament, either mentally or physically. She's not exactly the cerebral type and has an outsized ego, so she probably thought she was so darn good she could just skate in there and dominate with no problem. I suspect she learned a tremendous lesson there, and I'm afraid that'll make her even more dangerous next season.

But I still don't see her as NPOY material. I mean, who knows if she'll even meet the requirements to be considered? But mainly, Clark, Bueckers and Brink have to be the frontrunners IMO. Only thing I wonder about Clark is how not having the steady, dependable workhorse Monika Czinano under the basket taking some of the pressure off her. Gonna be interesting to see how Bluder adjusts to not having her.

Offensively, based on the off-season performances in the Foreign Tour and AmeriCup games a 100% Rickea Jackson is unstoppable. No other player in the sport has the combination of offensive skills that Rickea does.
The additions via the portal and return of Tamari Key gives Tennessee a roster with enough talent to win the Nat’l title.
I believe if everyone stays healthy Tennessee will reach the Final Four.
I don’t see any team that will beat them based on talent.

Offensively, based on the off-season performances in the Foreign Tour and AmeriCup games a 100% Rickea Jackson is unstoppable. No other player in the sport has the combination of offensive skills that Rickea does.
The additions via the portal and return of Tamari Key gives Tennessee a roster with enough talent to win the Nat’l title.
I believe if everyone stays healthy Tennessee will reach the Final Four.
I don’t see any team that will beat them based on talent.
I agree 100%. GBO.

As for Reese in Mexico, I got the impression she may not have done much to prepare for that tournament, either mentally or physically. She's not exactly the cerebral type and has an outsized ego, so she probably thought she was so darn good she could just skate in there and dominate with no problem. I suspect she learned a tremendous lesson there, and I'm afraid that'll make her even more dangerous next season.
Woefully unprepared, but also, got exposed. And some of the lessons AR learned may be hard for her to do anything about. She's not suddenly going to become a shooter and she doesn't play well against physicality. And can't handle the ball worth a poot. She will benefit from closer reffing than she got in Mexico, and also will benefit if refs keep letting her climb backs every play to get a zillion rebounds.

I actually think AR has a ton of pressure on her this season bc most of her followers think she's a much better player than she actually is. Coaches gonna be a little more wise to her and most everyone licking chops to get after her. She's made a legend, now she has to live up to it.
I agree with both statements and I think that's what will make her at least a top 5 W draft pick.

But I do not think RJ has much of a shot at NPOY. She's not going to avg 30 a game like Clark and not going to do it by hitting out the butt shots fm the parking lot. That's what wins those awards. Also, if UConn has a great yr and espec wins the Natty, either PB or Azzi would be hard to beat out. People love those comeback stories.

I totally don't get Brink above Rickea, she's not near as athletically skilled. And Angel doesn't deserve to even be in this conversation.

Rickea is going to play more within a system, and has other elite scorers around her. She's going to be in the top 3 of the most reliable buckets in the country when you really need one. She's going to put together another of those long strings of 20+ scoring games in conference play. She'll be in the top 3 or 4 in scoring and top 5 or 6 in rebounding in the SEC. She's going to be an 80% ft shooter She's going to be capable of taking over games when necessary. She'll be unianimous All SEC and first team AA. She'll finally be the player that broke the ceiling for the LVs back to relevance, probably the most consequential on court LV since CP. But she won't be NPOY.

VN Store

Back