Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Goodness. 10 more years, 32 million dollars. She's there until she's done - not that this should surprise anyone.

LSU's going to be a thorn in the conference's side for the foreseeable future.

Goodness. 10 more years, 32 million dollars. She's there until she's done - not that this should surprise anyone.

Strap it on! Boot scootin’ boogie time!

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood

I can’t stand mulkey but you have to tip your cap to LSU for investing so much. Certainly they have seen the rewards of it from attendance and obviously a title in just year 2. SEC will be a dog fight with all the talented coaches in our conference with Texas and OU in the way.

I can’t stand mulkey but you have to tip your cap to LSU for investing so much. Certainly they have seen the rewards of it from attendance and obviously a title in just year 2. SEC will be a dog fight with all the talented coaches in our conference with Texas and OU in the way.

Looks good on paper.
I can’t wait for this season to be the wake up call of all-time.

Not that 61 is old ,by any means, but i wonder how much longer she goes?

Geno is 69 Still a puppy, Tara turned 70 in June

Geno is no pup.... and neither is Tara. Not saying that they can't do their jobs but Geno has look more run down and i can't say it's just injuries to his team. I think it's navigating NIL , pushier AAU coaches, and entitled athletes. He is still Geno but he ain't no puppy haha

i do not think she'll be coaching when she is 71 i just don't lol...
I think she hits close to 70. I think bejng back home reinvigorated her plus she is now close to her mom/family-friends. To me it ultimately Depends if she is healthy enough (excluding all her wrinkles) and still having success. If the product starts to fall off a cliff then it expedites the process for any coach. As coaches get older, it’s important to have a quality staff to delegate responsibilities to so you don’t get run down and if that is happening, I’m sure the longer Kim, Tara and Geno stay in it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’m starting to rethink my thoughts on SC being in a total rebuild year, I think they start kinda slow, and will take a few lumps with that killer schedule, but I now believe by year end they could be final four material.

I say this because I believe at center Cardoso is the best big in the SEC this year. And between Raven, PaoPao, Fulwiley and Johnson at the guard slots they are right there. Boils down to if Watkins, Feagin and Kitts are ready for prime time. Hall also. Damn, Kitts looked good over the summer with USA ball, she might be the biggest surprise.

I think they get Edwards in this class also, have to wait and see but I am less worried about Stanford now, maybe a bit more worried about Duke though.

Last edited:
I’m starting to rethink my thoughts on SC being in a total rebuild year, I think they start kinda slow, and will take a few lumps with that killer schedule, but I now believe by year end they could be final four material.

I say this because I believe at center Cardoso is the best big in the SEC this year. And between Raven, PaoPao, Fulwiley and Johnson at the guard slots they are right there. Boils down to if Watkins, Feagin and Kitts are ready for prime time. Hall also. Damn, Kitts looked good over the summer with USA ball, she might be the biggest surprise.

I think they get Edwards in this class also, have to wait and see but I am less worried about Stanford now, maybe a bit more worried about Duke though.
I’m good wherever she goes, as long as it’s not LSU🤣

I agree, the talent is there. At the moment the biggest ??? For SC is the leadership vacuum left by all the seniors who departed. If people step up and fill leadership roles there is no reason they won’t contend for the FF. If they have some trouble finding their leader it could be a long season.

South Carolina will be in the 2-4 range in the SEC up until the SEC tourney.
I believe they go as far as Raven Johnson takes this group. Hall is perhaps the x-factor.
LSU is the odds on favorite and I’ll bet against those odds because I don’t see them beating a healthy LVs squad.
Tennessee has arguably the best big PF/C in the SEC and that player is Jillian Hollingshead.
Now Cardoso looked improved during the AmeriCup games and exposed A. Reese as did just about every other quality big she faced during the tourney.
However did people really pay attention to what Jillian Hollingshead did to LSU frontcourt during the SEC tourney? She played decent minutes and in the 2nd half completely controlled the paint along with Rickea.
Cardoso has yet to have a performance in the SEC where I felt she completely controlled the paint.
So while the potential is there I wouldn’t say she’s locked in as the best big in the SEC.

Kim Mulkey has Edwards on campus this weekend as well as home visits with Strong and Koval who were on LSU's campus last weekend. If she gets all 3 it's game over for the rest of the SEC for years to come
Edwards is almost a lock to SC, but Strong is a lock to LSU imo. Koval prob ND.

South Carolina will be in the 2-4 range in the SEC up until the SEC tourney.
I believe they go as far as Raven Johnson takes this group. Hall is perhaps the x-factor.
LSU is the odds on favorite and I’ll bet against those odds because I don’t see them beating a healthy LVs squad.
Tennessee has arguably the best big PF/C in the SEC and that player is Jillian Hollingshead.
Now Cardoso looked improved during the AmeriCup games and exposed A. Reese as did just about every other quality big she faced during the tourney.
However did people really pay attention to what Jillian Hollingshead did to LSU frontcourt during the SEC tourney? She played decent minutes and in the 2nd half completely controlled the paint along with Rickea.
Cardoso has yet to have a performance in the SEC where I felt she completely controlled the paint.
So while the potential is there I wouldn’t say she’s locked in as the best big in the SEC.
Cardoso played 18 minutes/game last season behind Boston. Her per minute numbers were better than Boston’s. She was dominant when she played, and she dominated the summer Americup tourney, best player from any team In the tourney. She is the best 5 in the SEC and it’s not close.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Cardoso played 18 minutes/game last season behind Boston. Her per minute numbers were better than Boston’s. She was dominant when she played, and she dominated the summer Americup tourney, best player from any team In the tourney. She is the best 5 in the SEC and it’s not close.

I watched her before the AmeriCup games.. and never saw dominance. Saw a few bright spots and potential to work with to become a formidable center in the SEC.
Like our (TN) chances to control the paint when we face South Carolina this season.
Throwing out she was best player on any team during the AmeriCup tourney is definitely a moot point.
Good luck to your squad.

Last edited:
Edwards is almost a lock to SC, but Strong is a lock to LSU imo. Koval prob ND.

Well if there are any more Darby sisters, you can bet they are a lock for Tennessee....

Boom GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I watched her before the AmeriCup games.. and never saw dominance. Saw a few bright spots and potential to work with to become a formidable center in the SEC.
Like our (TN) chances to control the paint when we face South Carolina this season.
Throwing out she was best player on any team during the AmeriCup tourney is definitely a moot point.
Good luck to your squad.
Playing behind Boston, she averaged 18 minutes and 10 pts plus 8.5 rebounds and 2 blocks per game. Extrapolate that over say 28-30 minutes per game and her numbers are elite. She runs the floor as fast as most of the smaller players, and at 6’7” that is saying something about her athleticism. She will be first team All SEC this year, I have no question about that. DS is going to use her as a center piece of the offense, as she should. Cardoso is really good scoring from the post.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back