Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Understand!
So first, we have the players for a final four run this year. Kellie and staff got those players. I don’t understand why they don’t get credit for that. Rikea could have gone anywhere and Kellie got her here!
Second we are on a lot of great kids final 3-5 and have commitments from a couple. Even getting on a kids final list means, to me, we are indeed doing somethings right there.
Third, we aren’t getting fully over the hump with high school recruits. I see a few possible reasons for this; all of which are conjecture on my part🙂
* NIL I don’t fully understand how this all works but I think there is a chance this eventually levels up
*. I think Kellie is a straight shooter. Some coaches would lie to a kid regarding position/playing time etc. This is a prime group of portal recruits for us.
* Kellie seems like a pretty serious person. I can see that some 17 year olds can get caught up in a hypemaster’s schtick. We may seem a better fit to more mature kids. Again, we are in a kids final 5, the kid sets a chance to peel back the hype onion and realizes may LVs would be a better fit. Again great portal recruits for us.
Not saying everything is perfect. But dang, we have a lot of folks either ignore or chalk up to luck Rikea, Spear, Cooper, Wells etc.
Listen I practically revere KJH for getting Rickea once, much less twice. I give full glory, laud, and honor for all the portal success. But as you stated, this is the year she has to do something with them.

It's that simple. KJH got players, now she must produce. Period. She's the one that stated the goal. I know it's early, and it could still happen. Actually, beginning a week from tonight, we'll know.

Pay for play, also known as a signing bonus, is common and legal, or at least not illegal. I guarantee So Car dropped considerable coin on Edwards, though that didn't stop them tut tuting LSU's outlandish offer. It's totally seperate from NIL. It's also reportedly where the LVs are falling so far behind. Trouble finding rich donors willing to put money on unproven high school players. I wish someone could or would root this out. I still don't understand how it slid in with NIL.

I'm sure the coaches work hard and do alot. That's not in question. KJH said several times this preseason her goal is nothing short of getting back to Final Four and Natty status. So questioning her progress in getting the players in to do so seems fair to me.
I don't want to dwell on this subject to the detriment of other subjects.

Clearly, the NCAA has no authority to establish law creating a legal or illegal situation. However, pay for play meaning being paid to attend a particular university is a violation of NCAA rules.

Name, Image and likeness (NIL) was designed to afford established college athletes the opportunity to make money off of their atheletic celebrity which they created. Very few high school athletes have enough name recognition to warrant a NIL deal. Some fall in that category but not many. Hence pay to play.

The following article by Forbes explains pay for play and acknowledges it is against NCAA rules. In May the NCAA issued new guidance to all 1270 plus institutions that prohibits boosters or NIL consortiums from offering NIL money to recruits before they are committed to an institution.

Last edited:
I'm confused about it all, but I believe we've established that schools are openly offering an upfront sign on bonus and our inability to pony up as much in ours is what's holding us back.

Maryland 23-22 midway thru 2nd qtr. Azzi out, Paige was out awhile after getting hit in the eye. Back in now. UConn is not near the juggernaut we thought they'd be.

The play that just happened looked familiar. Paige and a Maryland player were tied up with the ball and Paige hooked the other player and pulled the girl over the top of her and to the ground. Then looked up at the ref as the pleading victim! Exact replay of what Edwards did to Rickea last year.

Go Terps!

So Carolina/Clemson starting now but I'm so sick of them the last few days I don't think I can watch.

Whoa! Paige hit with the intentional!

UConn is now dominating even without Fudd. I hope she is getting a good education because she may not make it to the wnba with her current and past injuries.

Hoping the current injury is not too bad. Great player to watch.

Last edited:
Really? You folks really getting excited about a Clemson blowout??..

Last season Clemson got beat by 54pts against Kansas State, 38 points against Arkansas, and 31pts against Syracuse.

If you haven’t seen anything like this you must haven’t looked too hard.

Clemson is still Clemson lol!!

VN Store

Back