Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Understand!
So first, we have the players for a final four run this year. Kellie and staff got those players. I don’t understand why they don’t get credit for that. Rikea could have gone anywhere and Kellie got her here!
Second we are on a lot of great kids final 3-5 and have commitments from a couple. Even getting on a kids final list means, to me, we are indeed doing somethings right there.
Third, we aren’t getting fully over the hump with high school recruits. I see a few possible reasons for this; all of which are conjecture on my part🙂
* NIL I don’t fully understand how this all works but I think there is a chance this eventually levels up
*. I think Kellie is a straight shooter. Some coaches would lie to a kid regarding position/playing time etc. This is a prime group of portal recruits for us.
* Kellie seems like a pretty serious person. I can see that some 17 year olds can get caught up in a hypemaster’s schtick. We may seem a better fit to more mature kids. Again, we are in a kids final 5, the kid sets a chance to peel back the hype onion and realizes may LVs would be a better fit. Again great portal recruits for us.
Not saying everything is perfect. But dang, we have a lot of folks either ignore or chalk up to luck Rikea, Spear, Cooper, Wells etc.
I think it has more to do with the extra year COVID players more than anything else. Kellie said as much in a press conference not long ago. It's tough to bring freshman in that want to play 25-30 plus minutes and play them over a senior or 5th year player and moreso promise them X amount of minutes. Then there are coaches out there who say whatever they have to say to get the player on campus. And after that first year we watch the portal heat up.

If UT lost to an unranked team at home this forum would be buzzing. Iowa did and there is minimal talk
Simple. It's a UT forum, not an Iowa forum. Not surprising.

Regarding Clark, great of a 3 pt shooter as she is, there are just going to be those nights. That's why I'd rather have an elite all around player like Rickea and a solid team around her than a stone cold Maravich type gunner like Clark. Iowa is not close to #2.

The latest on the LSU saga is Morris tweeting that the problem is not Mulkey and people should back off her. Says it's one or two huge egos on the team. No sh*t! Even so, it's Mulkey's job to get the problems she brought in under control. Especially since she's known and said since summer she feared this was coming.

Regarding Clark, great of a 3 pt shooter as she is, there are just going to be those nights. That's why I'd rather have an elite all around player like Rickea and a solid team around her than a stone cold Maravich type gunner like Clark. Iowa is not close to #2.

The latest on the LSU saga is Morris tweeting that the problem is not Mulkey and people should back off her. Says it's one or two huge egos on the team. No sh*t! Even so, it's Mulkey's job to get the problems she brought in under control. Especially since she's known and said since summer she feared this was coming.
Is there anymore room for another ego after Bayou Barbie enters the area...

Is there anymore room for another ego after Bayou Barbie enters the area...
Apparently not. Much as I abhor AR's behavior, it's really ashamed she seems to have never had an adult who can give her solid advice and reel her in. The fact that she did not head straight for the gym and spend the rest of the summer there after faceplanting in Mexico is very, very telling. Instead she did more mag covers and pr appearances while Mulkey publically fretted about it and nobody did nothing. Sad.

Last year Clemson also beat VT and FSU…..

You may want to take a different route with your sarcasm.. I could say with sarcasm like when Missouri beat South Carolina a few years back with 8 players. Or when Reina dropped a 20+ piece and for a dub against the Birdies on Rocky Top.

Beating Virgina Tech or Florida State isn’t something new to Tennessee. Just like South Carolina hasn’t won them all.. we don’t have to.

Another piece of advice don’t get too comfortable with the negaVols fake support of South Carolina.

But enjoy your never before seen victory no hard feelings Rooster! Go SEC!!

Last edited:
Reactions: UTtoDC
I think it has more to do with the extra year COVID players more than anything else. Kellie said as much in a press conference not long ago. It's tough to bring freshman in that want to play 25-30 plus minutes and play them over a senior or 5th year player and moreso promise them X amount of minutes. Then there are coaches out there who say whatever they have to say to get the player on campus. And after that first year we watch the portal heat up.
If the freshman is elite they will play.

Every team has problems, teammates fight, have arguments and some hate eachother, but it just become public. Maybe some jealousy going on, notice they are the only ones talking.

Apparently not. Much as I abhor AR's behavior, it's really ashamed she seems to have never had an adult who can give her solid advice and reel her in. The fact that she did not head straight for the gym and spend the rest of the summer there after faceplanting in Mexico is very, very telling. Instead she did more mag covers and pr appearances while Mulkey publically fretted about it and nobody did nothing. Sad.
How do u know what a player did in the summer? U do know we have a player or players that wasn’t in the gym getting in shape this summer?

Did they ever say names or what they are talking about, or are u speculating?
FJ's Mom and Angel's Mom started it all by going at it on social media. FJ's Mom dug so deep she went after Angel's academic standing. That's going to be awfully hard for them (the parents) to come back fm. Then ex players started weighing in saying there are big ole ego problems. They did not name names. Meanwhile, both FJ and Angel have been riding the pine, FJ been sick and Angel, according to Mulkey, was a coaching decision. That's what we know without speculating.
How do u know what a player did in the summer? U do know we have a player or players that wasn’t in the gym getting in shape this summer?
I know what Angel looked like in Mexico. Awful, out of shape, she said so herself. She has looked like the exact same one dimensional, somewhat unathletic and slow player so far this season. Still putting up her rebounding numbers for sure. So if she was actually in the gym working on her game btw Mexico and now, it's even worse for her since she has not improved at all. S Smith about to pass her for minutes, she's just a better forward.

Man the SEC (minus So Car who currently exists on another level) has totally faceplanted to start this season. Our 1 pt loss to a ranked FSU looks good in comparison. LSU lost to Colorado, Ole Miss lost by 10 to Oklahoma, Georgia got blown out by Belmont, last night Texas A & M got dusted by Purdue, Ky lost to Austin Peay.

I'm not sure any SEC team (except you know who) has beat anyone but a cupcake so far. This is why there's so much skepticism about the league. Hopefully, like last year, several teams will come on strong at the end. But right now, it's a grim result.

Man the SEC (minus So Car who currently exists on another level) has totally faceplanted to start this season. Our 1 pt loss to a ranked FSU looks good in comparison. LSU lost to Colorado, Ole Miss lost by 10 to Oklahoma, Georgia got blown out by Belmont, last night Texas A & M got dusted by Purdue, Ky lost to Austin Peay.

I'm not sure any SEC team (except you know who) has beat anyone but a cupcake so far. This is why there's so much skepticism about the league. Hopefully, like last year, several teams will come on strong at the end. But right now, it's a grim result.

I don’t think she ever will, but I keep hoping Janiah Barker will hit the portal and become a Lady Vol. She would be the perfect Rickea replacement next season.

Unfortunately I expect she’ll languish at A&M and never improve from her high school form, or regress. Thats par for the course for Joni players. Never seen her take a kid to the next level. Waste of talent on that team at the moment. 58 points with a really talented roster is pathetic.

FJ's Mom and Angel's Mom started it all by going at it on social media. FJ's Mom dug so deep she went after Angel's academic standing. That's going to be awfully hard for them (the parents) to come back fm. Then ex players started weighing in saying there are big ole ego problems. They did not name names. Meanwhile, both FJ and Angel have been riding the pine, FJ been sick and Angel, according to Mulkey, was a coaching decision. That's what we know without speculating.

I know what Angel looked like in Mexico. Awful, out of shape, she said so herself. She has looked like the exact same one dimensional, somewhat unathletic and slow player so far this season. Still putting up her rebounding numbers for sure. So if she was actually in the gym working on her game btw Mexico and now, it's even worse for her since she has not improved at all. S Smith about to pass her for minutes, she's just a better forward.
Most of our players the same as last year and unathletic? Maybe I haven’t read much about their drama but I’ve never seen a name attached to it. Sometimes when u become a champion u become complacent, and that’s in all sports, I’m not focused on their drama since they are already champions and nobody can take that away from them.

Mod we have players that are the same as last year and unathletic?
Yes we do. But it's bc they have reached their ceilings, not bc they spent the offseason doing pub. And it most certainly does not apply to our superstar, who worked her a off this summer both in the weight room and on the court. And got even better. Also, look at the improvement in Raven Johnson, who did the same. But as I said, AR might fall in the first category; she may have just reached the top of her limited bag. I actually feel bad for her in all this; her fame and publicity wrote a check her ability can't cash.

You're right, no one can take that natty away from LSU, but it ashamed to see it dissolve in all this crap.

Just brutal. The dread noncontact knee injury. He also said last night there was too much swelling to do imaging yet. All really bad signs. I know it's UConn but this poor kid. Has never actually even gotten started in WCBB.

Yes we do. But it's bc they have reached their ceilings, not bc they spent the offseason doing pub. And it most certainly does not apply to our superstar, who worked her a off this summer both in the weight room and on the court. And got even better. Also, look at the improvement in Raven Johnson, who did the same. But as I said, AR might fall in the first category; she may have just reached the top of her limited bag. I actually feel bad for her in all this; her fame and publicity wrote a check her ability can't cash.

You're right, no one can take that natty away from LSU, but it ashamed to see it dissolve in all this crap.

Just brutal. The dread noncontact knee injury. He also said last night there was too much swelling to do imaging yet. All really bad signs. I know it's UConn but this poor kid. Has never actually even gotten started in WCBB.

Well he thing is she cashed what she needed to, she’s a national champion and MOP of the final four, nothing else needs to be done, I’m. It sure what all the hate is about. We need to worry about getting our team to the mountain too and not worry about hating on girls that are living their life.

Well he thing is she cashed what she needed to, she’s a national champion and MOP of the final four, nothing else needs to be done, I’m. It sure what all the hate is about. We need to worry about getting our team to the mountain too and not worry about hating on girls that are living their life.
You can't court and cash in on that much publicity and then call it "hate" when it goes against you. Much as I detested her behavior, I'm serious, I feel bad for AR. Just the latest to be propped up way beyond what her abilities and behavior actually called for, only to be promptly torn down again. It's American celebrity to a tee. Just extra brutal that it's her own team/parents doing it, publicly. The call is coming fm inside the house.

You're right tho, she's already cashed in $ and got the natty. She'll be fine.

Also, you are aware nothing we say here will help/hurt our team's journey to the mountain, right? LOL, not our focus teams need to worry about.

You can't court and cash in on that much publicity and then call it "hate" when it goes against you. Much as I detested her behavior, I'm serious, I feel bad for AR. Just the latest to be propped up way beyond what her abilities and behavior actually called for, only to be promptly torn down again. It's American celebrity to a tee. Just extra brutal that it's her own team/parents doing it, publicly. The call is coming fm inside the house.

You're right tho, she's already cashed in $ and got the natty. She'll be fine.

Also, you are aware nothing we say here will help/hurt our team's journey to the mountain, right? LOL, not our focus teams need to worry about.
Ok so tell me what has she done besides in game trash talk that other players do as well, like Caitlin Clark for example?

Ok so tell me what has she done besides in game trash talk that other players do as well, like Caitlin Clark for example?
Our opinions on this are our opinions, no need to hash out point by point again. The season (and twitter) will tell this story.

One thing I will say, all the taunting has been tuned way down this season so far. Point of emphasis and quick Ts. In spite of the idiotic "grow the game" talk, I think everyone realized things that went on last year got way out of hand.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Our opinions on this are our opinions, no need to hash out point by point again. The season (and twitter) will tell this story.

One thing I will say, all the taunting has been tuned way down this season so far. Point of emphasis and quick Ts. In spite of the idiotic "grow the game" talk, I think everyone realized things that went on last year got way out of hand.
I didn’t see anything out of hand but u have your opinion, they already won a championship like I said, they have nothing left to prove, of course if they don’t win this year certain people will hate but they still have their ring. I’m waiting for us to get ours hopefully soon.

VN Store

Back