Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Yeah I think it’s academic. They are STUDENT athletes and Kim does take that seriously. Not as serious as Pat but it’s a big priority for her. I think Angel refusing to attend class has likely caused some grades issues. Still think that’s a load of BS I highly doubt she couldn’t attend classes due to her celebrity profile, she just doesn’t want to. Somehow all the future NFLers and NBA players make it class without causing a scene.

Livy Dunne???? Maybeeee. But I’m even dubious on that one, but it sounded more like she had a stalker.

Angel just wants the status, special treatment and attention.
I’ll have to disagree with Mulkey caring about her players academically. She’s had multiple players who finished their eligibility without a degree and the only player that made SEC honor roll last season was a walk on. We had 8 players that made honor roll and Tess got her under grad in 3 years and Jordan Walker left with 2 masters in 3 years

I’ll have to disagree with Mulkey caring about her players academically. She’s had multiple players who finished their eligibility without a degree and the only player that made SEC honor roll last season was a walk on. We had 8 players that made honor roll and Tess got her under grad in 3 years and Jordan Walker left with 2 masters in 3 years

Actually, the graduation rate at Baylor during Mulkey’s tenure there was good. LSU’s rates were terrible long before Mulkey’s arrival there. Walker was in school longer than 3 years, so your statement is slightly misleading.

Actually, the graduation rate at Baylor during Mulkey’s tenure there was good. LSU’s rates were terrible long before Mulkey’s arrival there. Walker was in school longer than 3 years, so your statement is slightly misleading.

It’s only misleading if you don’t know Walkers story! She came to UT with a college degree……. She had two years of eligibility plus her Covid year ! So in her three years at UT ….. she did get two masters degrees in her three years in Knoxville. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I think it’s academic. They are STUDENT athletes and Kim does take that seriously. Not as serious as Pat but it’s a big priority for her. I think Angel refusing to attend class has likely caused some grades issues. Still think that’s a load of BS I highly doubt she couldn’t attend classes due to her celebrity profile, she just doesn’t want to. Somehow all the future NFLers and NBA players make it class without causing a scene.
That seems unfair, there's no evidence it's grades nor that Angel couldn't/didn't attend class. Unfortunately, her low gpa got outed last year and again recently, quite cruelly, by FJ's Mom. But that gpa never put Angel in eligibility danger before, can't see that happening at this point.

There is evidence of unhappiness w being benched and of a split locker room. Alexis Morris said that was it, fueled by ego and attitude. Also we know there's a parent riff.

Interesting that Angel is not w the team on the bench. Rickea was on the bench every second of her problem, I think that was part of the point. No hiding. I'm assuming not having Angel there is Mulkey creating space between the warring factions. They're going to the Caymens later this week, we'll see who makes the trip.

It’s only misleading if you don’t know Walkers story! She came to UT with a college degree……. She had two years of eligibility plus her Covid year ! So in her three years at UT ….. she did get two masters degrees in her three years in Knoxville. 🤷‍♂️
I’m aware of her story. She worked hard for it, no doubt. For those that don’t know, it would sound incredible.

I wonder if Syracuse is going to end up being a decent team this year, they have a great coach now and looked much improved.
I think they will be. I live near ‘Cuse so I’ve seen them play in person often. This is the first year they play like a cohesive unit with actual plays and not just chucking up shots. Also helps that the toxic culture is gone from there.

Watched that last night, it was pretty good until he started speculating on what he thinks the issue is, it can be anything, and it’s always the players fault.
In Angels Reeses case it is her fault. She has looked out of shape this past summer, has looked in poor basketball shape this opening part of the season, been shooting crazy shots outside of an obvious game plan, has not been rebounding like herself (probably because she is out of shape) and has probably gotten an attitude about it. Kim Mulkey has been around too long and isn't putting up with that out of any player, especially the one she expects to lead her team.

That seems unfair, there's no evidence it's grades nor that Angel couldn't/didn't attend class. Unfortunately, her low gpa got outed last year and again recently, quite cruelly, by FJ's Mom. But that gpa never put Angel in eligibility danger before, can't see that happening at this point.

There is evidence of unhappiness w being benched and of a split locker room. Alexis Morris said that was it, fueled by ego and attitude. Also we know there's a parent riff.

Interesting that Angel is not w the team on the bench. Rickea was on the bench every second of her problem, I think that was part of the point. No hiding. I'm assuming not having Angel there is Mulkey creating space between the warring factions. They're going to the Caymens later this week, we'll see who makes the trip.
Rickea's mom also trusted the coaching staff at Tennessee to do the right thing and was a very good collegiate basketball player herself so she understood what was happening. I'm pretty sure that Kellie, just like Pat would have been was on the phone with her mother before the suspension happened. Pat never had too many issues with her player's parents. Kellie with her intense background check of everything probably doesn't either.

In Angels Reeses case it is her fault. She has looked out of shape this past summer, has looked in poor basketball shape this opening part of the season, been shooting crazy shots outside of an obvious game plan, has not been rebounding like herself (probably because she is out of shape) and has probably gotten an attitude about it. Kim Mulkey has been around too long and isn't putting up with that out of any player, especially the one she expects to lead her team.
She look in good shape to me, looks like she put on more muscle. It can be anything, maybe it’s Mulkeys attitude, since she feels like she got the championship she wanted out of the players. I’ll just wait to see what Reese says before I assume anything.

For sure, and it's the responsibility of the coaches to keep the pot from boiling over. Mulkey is obviously not well equipped for that job. But to gloss over what the Moms did and what Morris said and blame this all on Mulkey seems more narrative driven than truthful.

Makes me very grateful for Kellie Harper, Coach Sam, Rickea, Rickea's Mom and how well that was handled by everyone.

LSU goes to the Caymans for a tourney later this week. Will be interesting to see who makes that trip.

On a game note, I notice del Rosario got some quality mins, 14 pts and 5 rebs in 23 mins.
We all have to speculate quite a bit. But when the plantation master only is concerned about the yield and not the players getting the job done this is what happens.

The reason Rickey handled it with grace is because Kelly obviously cares about each member of her team a whole lot.

Let's be honest, Reese has always kind of been a pain in the ass, even from her time at Maryland. She got large numbers of folks defending her and singing how wonderful she is due to a surge of ignorant racists on social media trashing her in response to her doing something which was pretty classless, but those knuckleheads went way over the top on her.

So, no, the Angel Reese I've seen for years doesn't really surprise me when I hear she's become a little problematic, particularly after being so enabled in the last 6 or so months on a national stage. I would really enjoy, though, another Lady Vol celebration mocking her little antics at midcourt after beating LSU. Wouldn't make me sad.

Reactions: glv98
Yes, Walker came to Tennessee with her under grad completed in 3 years with 2 years of eligibility plus the Covid year. She exhausted her 3 years of eligibility at Tennessee leaving with 2 masters. My point is, Tennessee still has 100% grad rate for players who complete their eligibility at Tennessee, not to mention academic success. Morris was in school for 6 years and it still took her an extra summer session to finish her under grad. BG left Baylor after 4 years without a degree and LSU is pretty much at the bottom of the SEC academically, yet none of their scholarship players made SEC honor roll last year. I don’t believe for a second that Kim gives a crap how these kids are doing in school. All she’s ever cared about is basketball. She’s a great coach, but not a great developer outside of basketball

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Looks like she doesn’t have a problem with Reese, like some have speculated.

I haven't seen anyone say Morris had a problem w AR. What she said was that it was not Mulkey, but instead was a problem w ego and attitude in the locker room. She never said which side of the divided lr she's on.

Apparently more twitter grumbling went on overnight amongst parents, some of it indicating there was a physical fight btw players. I haven't seen that content, but it would explain KM keeping the sides apart.

All of this, fights, parent beefs, is so sadly familiar from the worst of the Holly days. Sad situation

Two SEC games today. Florida vs Columbia could turn out to be a fairly close game. Georgia vs Purdue could be also.

How will Belmont play today on the big stage against #4 Stanford without their former star PG Destinee Wells who transferred this off-season to 8-time Nat’l champion Tennessee?

Ohio State v Oklahoma State play this evening.
Ohio St. has a big game coming up against the Lady Vols.
I will be watching to see how they are playing before the battle on Rocky Top.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Let's be honest, Reese has always kind of been a pain in the ass, even from her time at Maryland. She got large numbers of folks defending her and singing how wonderful she is due to a surge of ignorant racists on social media trashing her in response to her doing something which was pretty classless, but those knuckleheads went way over the top on her.

So, no, the Angel Reese I've seen for years doesn't really surprise me when I hear she's become a little problematic, particularly after being so enabled in the last 6 or so months on a national stage. I would really enjoy, though, another Lady Vol celebration mocking her little antics at midcourt after beating LSU. Wouldn't make me sad.
We all have our opinions and I don’t think she did anything classless, players trash talk and taunt eachother every game, it’s funny how Clark does this all the time and is praised but I won’t get into that. Oh and if u remember when we beat Lsu last year, certain players was running around putting up an L, go back and look it up.

Reactions: brittannica
I haven't seen anyone say Morris had a problem w AR. What she said was that it was not Mulkey, but instead was a problem w ego and attitude in the locker room. She never said which side of the divided lr she's on.

Apparently more twitter grumbling went on overnight amongst parents, some of it indicating there was a physical fight btw players. I haven't seen that content, but it would explain KM keeping the sides apart.

All of this, fights, parent beefs, is so sadly familiar from the worst of the Holly days. Sad situation
Now a fight at halftime seems more like it since she was benched the 2nd half of the game and so was Poole. Like I said before, all teams have fights and I’m sure we’ve had a few as well, just they didn’t make it public like in years past.

Reactions: LV renaissance
personally, and not attempting to be holier-than-thou or even being right. The LSU ongoing conversation is caused by the interaction of entertainment social media and women's sports. I don't find any value to obsess (my word) over Kim's dress, her players' attitudes, or the coach at Conn.

BTW: The Cincinnati Bengal's quarterback who spent his last year at LSU before taken #1 and now making $30M per year and out for the year, has stated publically he never went to a single class. (online courses) smile.

Reactions: glv98
We all have our opinions and I don’t think she did anything classless, players trash talk and taunt eachother every game, it’s funny how Clark does this all the time and is praised but I won’t get into that. Oh and if u remember when we beat Lsu last year, certain players was running around putting up an L, go back and look it up.
It's subjective and I'm biased but to me the post LSU win mock dance was just the fun kind of trash talk and in the right context. In the victory circle and after AR had done it to them mercilessly a few months before seemed ok to me. And the Lick Back tik tok Rickea and Jordy made the next morning was masterful. Difference is none of it was done directly in an opponent's face during the game. Certainly no one chased or stalked anyone the way AR did Clark to perform nose to nose for them.

Don't like many of Clark's antics and thought the Raven wave off was reprehensible. Untrue that CC does not get called out for it, but you will never believe that.

I'm glad it's all been toned down this year.

Last edited:
Now a fight at halftime seems more like it since she was benched the 2nd half of the game and so was Poole. Like I said before, all teams have fights and I’m sure we’ve had a few as well, just they didn’t make it public like in years past.
Could be. Poole has not been listed in the box scores of the two games since the benching so she's gone also. Interesting no one has asked KM about that. OTOH, KM did say those benchings were performance related and AR was interacting normally.

Twitterverse says AR did not board the plane for the Caymans.

VN Store

Back