Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Seems like the improved 3pt shooting of SC has been overstated. I just saw two terrible misses from wide open shooters jeez.
They are good. A Top 10 team. I just don’t get the rush for fans to declare teams Nat’l title winners after the first week of the season.

Seems like the improved 3pt shooting of SC has been overstated. I just saw two terrible misses from wide open shooters jeez.
They are good. A Top 10 team. I just don’t get the rush for fans to declare teams Nat’l title winners after the first week of the season.
Isn’t that ironic… 🧐

South Dakota hanging around with Nat’l title favorite SC in the 1st half down 20-27.

Is it true that SD is without 4 players? SC is without 1 key player tonight.

People will pick #21 since she’s on SC team but head to head I would take Sara Puckett in that matchup.
Against Rickea it’s a mismatch no matter who is guarding her.
Watkins and Striplin isn’t as favorable for SC as people will think either.

Scattered crowd tonight at home for LSU.
They are losing some steam… at this point it’s accurate to say their transfers don’t look like the top 2 to come out of the portal.

Reactions: maple
They are losing some steam… at this point it’s accurate to say their transfers don’t look like the top 2 to come out of the portal.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1
Angel Reese got her bag. I’d like to see her walk and convince the team to go with her.

Mulkey is awful on so many levels. The biggest being who she is as a human. She’s a racist, against all things LGBTQ, and supports misogyny. Not a great mix to have as a female basketball head coach. She’s like some sort of modern day plantation owner. I have no idea why players would play for her.

At some point I hope players will stand up for women, minorities and LGBTQIA+. Mostly I’d like them to stand up for women’s basketball. It wasn’t that many years ago that Billie Jean King took the selfless road for the long term gains for women’s tennis and women players. Now, women’s tennis prizes and ratings are starting to equal the men.

In women’s basketball, you shouldn’t be able to be an ogre to your players.

Paopao is 10-17 (.588) for the Gamecocks thus far. She didn't play tonight. One would have to think that that .588 can't possible sustain itself throughout an entire season, but Te-Hina has been a huge early-season leader for the Gamecocks from the outside shooting perspective.

The rest of the team coming into tonight's game was 17-49 (.347), led by Fulwiley's 7-15 (.467) and Tessa Johnson's 2-5 (.400) through the first 2 games. That left all others at 8-29 (.276) coming into tonight's game. They then shoot 0-12 without either Paopao or T. Johnson. Fulwiley goes 0-4: no matter what sport one talks about, nor how talented an athlete may be in that sport, generally the biggest issue with freshmen/rookies, is CONSISTENCY. They show flashes of their brilliant potential, but then show flashes of the fact that they are still greenhorns, no matter what. Tonight seemed to be an off night for Fulwiley, who started in place of Paopao and may have taken on too much responsibility than was intended for her. She still scored 11 pts, but shot 5-16 and led the team in shot attempts to get there.

But the additions of both Paopao and T. Johnson was supposed to be a MAJOR reason why it was thought that this iteration of Gamecocks would have a more balanced offense, and they were without both of those players tonight - perhaps for more than just tonight's game. We'll see.......

I'm going to repost something from a while ago. I thought/think the two players they brought in are a net negative:

I'm looking at the LSU Roster and something doesn't add up. Reese led the team in shot attempts last year with 560. HVL took 623 shots and Morrow took 802. (neither are great scorers but volume shooters) Morris graduated taking 471 shots most of those will go to HVL but she is still used to 150 more shots. Does Morrow take attempts away from Angel? Can Bayou Barbie share the spotlight? It looked like FJ was content to play second fiddle to her mentor Angel but I wonder how she feels about being fourth banana. Also I will bet Mikaylah Williams imagined (or was promised) getting Morris's open spot and now HVL has taken that away. Am I wrong to imagine the Bayou Tigers become more of a cat fight? If they win again, I will tip my hat to Mulkey as a great coach.

Angel Reese got her bag. I’d like to see her walk and convince the team to go with her.

Mulkey is awful on so many levels. The biggest being who she is as a human. She’s a racist, against all things LGBTQ, and supports misogyny. Not a great mix to have as a female basketball head coach. She’s like some sort of modern day plantation owner. I have no idea why players would play for her.

At some point I hope players will stand up for women, minorities and LGBTQIA+. Mostly I’d like them to stand up for women’s basketball. It wasn’t that many years ago that Billie Jean King took the selfless road for the long term gains for women’s tennis and women players. Now, women’s tennis prizes and ratings are starting to equal the men.

In women’s basketball, you shouldn’t be able to be an ogre to your players.
OK, Mulkey goes, and deserves it on so many levels. The buck stops w the head Barbie.

But the current problem w Angel and the team would remain unaddressed. This is one of those very troubling situations where fact gets obliderated by narrative. Alexis Morris told us this is not a Mulkey problem (for once) but a team ego and attitude problem. Now there's wide speculation Angel's issue is grades (which it likely isn't) only bc FJ's Mom ridiculed AR about her low gpa on social media. That as part of an ugly public feud between the parents.

Far be it from me to defend KM, but if she is able to piece things back together after the awful things the Moms said and the obvious split in the locker room, it will be amazing. She's being slammed for not spilling public details and saying little, yet thats exactly how Harper handled the Rickea situation and look how that turned out. Coaches are limited in what they can, and will say.

As far as the team "walking" w Angel, don't count on it. They can't even be in the locker room together right now.

OK, Mulkey goes, and deserves it on so many levels. The buck stops w the head Barbie.

But the current problem w Angel and the team would remain unaddressed. This is one of those very troubling situations where fact gets obliderated by narrative. Alexis Morris told us this is not a Mulkey problem (for once) but a team ego and attitude problem. Now there's wide speculation Angel's issue is grades (which it likely isn't) only bc FJ's Mom ridiculed AR about her low gpa on social media. That as part of an ugly public feud between the parents.

Far be it from me to defend KM, but if she is able to piece things back together after the awful things the Moms said and the obvious split in the locker room, it will be amazing. She's being slammed for not spilling public details and saying little, yet thats exactly how Harper handled the Rickea situation and look how that turned out. Coaches are limited in what they can, and will say.

As far as the team "walking" w Angel, don't count on it. They can't even be in the locker room together right now.
These situations is what happens when you try to put together a Super Team..(aka) NBA orWNBA .....players need to leave their egos and personal agendas outside the door ....to be a great team....

These situations is what happens when you try to put together a Super Team..(aka) NBA orWNBA .....players need to leave their egos and personal agendas outside the door ....to be a great team....
For sure, and it's the responsibility of the coaches to keep the pot from boiling over. Mulkey is obviously not well equipped for that job. But to gloss over what the Moms did and what Morris said and blame this all on Mulkey seems more narrative driven than truthful.

Makes me very grateful for Kellie Harper, Coach Sam, Rickea, Rickea's Mom and how well that was handled by everyone.

LSU goes to the Caymans for a tourney later this week. Will be interesting to see who makes that trip.

On a game note, I notice del Rosario got some quality mins, 14 pts and 5 rebs in 23 mins.

I'm going to repost something from a while ago. I thought/think the two players they brought in are a net negative:

I'm looking at the LSU Roster and something doesn't add up. Reese led the team in shot attempts last year with 560. HVL took 623 shots and Morrow took 802. (neither are great scorers but volume shooters) Morris graduated taking 471 shots most of those will go to HVL but she is still used to 150 more shots. Does Morrow take attempts away from Angel? Can Bayou Barbie share the spotlight? It looked like FJ was content to play second fiddle to her mentor Angel but I wonder how she feels about being fourth banana. Also I will bet Mikaylah Williams imagined (or was promised) getting Morris's open spot and now HVL has taken that away. Am I wrong to imagine the Bayou Tigers become more of a cat fight? If they win again, I will tip my hat to Mulkey as a great coach.

LSU just isn’t good right now.
They are accustomed to beating up on weak teams by putting up a lot of points and showboating on their homecourt.
Three of the most overrated teams in the SEC are LSU, Ole Miss, and Texas A&M.
Meanwhile, if Tennessee got out of its own way and played the players that are suppose to play majority of the minutes they would put some distance between themselves and those teams.
The health aspect is about luck.. the LVs need some good fortune to pull through on that end.
As for those transfers at LSU, one of them is not nearly as skilled as the media has projected because they focus solely on statistics.
I envisioned this when Team USA made their AmeriCup cuts. That team had its flaws so when some of their players couldn’t make it that was a red flag to me.
Another thing, you can’t be undersized and bang in the post during SEC play.
LSU coaches aren’t nearly as good as some perceive.
They built a team that will be prone to both chemistry and glaring weaknesses against quality opponents.
Hype doesn’t overcome that but I guess as long as social and sports media pushed that agenda of a super team they are (were) going to ride the wave.

Reactions: maple

VN Store

Back