Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

It’s a shame the PAC12 is dissolving after this season, a lot of college tradition and history gets wiped out. I suppose the leadership of the conference is to blame to a large degree, but it’s kind of sad to see at the same time. One of the things that make college sports unique and better than pro sports is the local rivalries and much of that will be lost amongst the PAC teams now. Stanford in the ACC? Wonder how excited Cardinal fans are about playing those teams on the East coast?

It’s a shame the PAC12 is dissolving after this season, a lot of college tradition and history gets wiped out. I suppose the leadership of the conference is to blame to a large degree, but it’s kind of sad to see at the same time. One of the things that make college sports unique and better than pro sports is the local rivalries and much of that will be lost amongst the PAC teams now. Stanford in the ACC? Wonder how excited Cardinal fans are about playing those teams on the East coast?
We watched the UNC-Duke game last night, which I’ve been doing since I was about 8 years old or so growing up in NC. While we had a great time watching Duke lose, it’s very sad to think about conferences dissolving, rivalries maybe losing power, and the lower emphasis on the “student” part of student-athlete. I also worry about injuries and recovery with cross-country travel. It’s particularly sad when the PAC-12 had such a great football season and are just rolling in women’s basketball right now.

I also worry about injuries and recovery with cross-country travel.
This worries me alot, and is one of the many ways insanity is overtaking college sports. The LVs recent trip to Texas with it's weather related travel delays effected them greatly for a couple of games. Imagine all those teams traveling from the West Coast to the mid west and east all winter next year. It's crazy and probably eventually unsustainable.

I think the only thing they can do it is multiple schedule the road trips. When Stanford goes to the East coast they need to play Duke, NC, NC St, Clemson, and Wake Forest all in one road trip. Then host them all at home. Traveling back and forth for one game or even two is just going to be to much travel. Certainly not ideal, but more sustainable to spend a couple weeks on the road a couple at home then throw in a bye week. Then another long road trip and the finish at home.

This worries me alot, and is one of the many ways insanity is overtaking college sports. The LVs recent trip to Texas with it's weather related travel delays effected them greatly for a couple of games. Imagine all those teams traveling from the West Coast to the mid west and east all winter next year. It's crazy and probably eventually unsustainable.
Time changes, midweek games, families going to games. A few of my daughters West Coast teammates/friends/competition chose PAC (softball) so family could be there.

I think the only thing they can do it is multiple schedule the road trips. When Stanford goes to the East coast they need to play Duke, NC, NC St, Clemson, and Wake Forest all in one road trip. Then host them all at home. Traveling back and forth for one game or even two is just going to be to much travel. Certainly not ideal, but more sustainable to spend a couple weeks on the road a couple at home then throw in a bye week. Then another long road trip and the finish at home.
So....stay out of school for over a week and possibly more...? That might as well be the pro route rather than a college amateur sporting event. This is going to be a problem any way you slice it.

So....stay out of school for over a week and possibly more...? That might as well be the pro route rather than a college amateur sporting event. This is going to be a problem any way you slice it.
Right? I’d be horrified by students missing that much of my class. I know they have access to tutors and whatnot, but some learning can only be done in the classroom. It might really restrict what majors players take. For example, the Lady Vols soccer goalkeeper is an engineering major which, I believe, requires in person labs. How much accommodation is reasonable before we are actually reducing the value of that degree?

Watching Virginia Tech vs North Carolina..
nobody can convince me either of these teams are more athletic than Tennessee.

But one thing that I see with most of these teams is they don’t go on long defensive lapses.

Tennessee doesn’t need better athletes to play good defensive.. they need better fundamentals, communication, and effort.

Who actually goes to a class. All of the classes are mostly online these days at least at most colleges. You have to check in for a test , but with most athletes school is online classes.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Who actually goes to a class. All of the classes are mostly online these days at least at most colleges. You have to check in for a test , but with most athletes school is online classes.
1) If this was true as a blanket statement, do you not think this is a problem?

2) This is not true as a blanket statement and several current athletes who choose to be student-athletes would probably have an issue with your attitude.

I think schools are just going to buy planes and pay pilots.

That’s the only logistical way to fly that many people that far without it being an unending disaster.

By the time you add up the costs of flying them commercial all the way cross country it’s going to pay for itself.

1) If this was true as a blanket statement, do you not think this is a problem?

2) This is not true as a blanket statement and several current athletes who choose to be student-athletes would probably have an issue with your attitude.
Not an attitude just saying what happens today. Sure they have to go sometime, but they could go two weeks online and don't see anyway that they will not have to. Six hour flight and next day play the game and six hour flight back at least three or four days to play one game.

Reactions: glv98
Watching teams like Virginia Tech and North Carolina play today.. both spending most of all the season ranked in the Top 25 just makes me think what it will take to get Tennessee to that next stage?

It isn’t just about recruiting. I think the way the staff wants to play just doesn’t translate to consistent success in today’s game.

Neither of these teams are more athletic than Tennessee.

Their rosters are not better than Tennessee.

They just play different. Not many wasted possessions.

Even when they struggle shooting the offense still flows.
It’s interesting to see this.. a few shifts in the philosophy could be what is needed.

VN Store

Back