Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Fire Barnes!!!!!
His team played with no heart! They are lazy!

Coach, I see what you did there! Just wait the NVs and others (specifically the SEC fan club) will be in a frenzy when the LVs expose these overrated AAU college teams on Rocky Top!

You don’t want to miss this!

Also, this topic does belong in this thread! This is VolNation!

Reactions: Lucy
Man I don’t think we should speculate about that at all.
Self-harm can take many forms. Not just suicide. I was just pointing out that Close's reaction may not have been over the top as you stated. Maybe something happened to a Betts family member that the team knew well. Any number of things could have caused that reaction and I'm quite certain it was very serious.

Reactions: glv98 and maple
Realize both SC and Uconn are the enemies of Vol nation, but in this non LV thread I just needed to let my feelings on the game tomorrow known, hoping SC catches some rays man and some positive waves………

oddball
Should be a really great basketball day. Will be pulling for both South and North Carolina today. Even tho I’m dreading playing yall, I can’t help but respect what Dawn has built.

Reactions: mcannon1
Funny how individuals compare men's basketball to women's.

Men's team had Zero expectations when Barnes arrived and has made then into a constant winner. Some seem to forget the CCM and CDT eras.

Compare Holly to Kelly then you got a debate.
As the comparing football need to complain to local resident Mudcat that poster seems to be the one constantly bringing it up..
Issa joke… and u really think the men had zero expectations? Are u from TN?

Issa joke… and u really think the men had zero expectations? Are u from TN?
Lived in Tennessee for 50+ years my whole life.
But if you think the Men's team who has never sniffed a final four or National Championship is held to same standards as a 8 time National Championship team then you're delusional ..

Oh I'm sorry went to Elite 8 once ...

But if you think the Men's team who has never sniffed a final four or National Championship is held to same standards as a 8 time National Championship team then you're delusional ..

Just a free throw away from going to the final four. Pearl is still the best coach we've had here. To bad about that photo and the lie. He has taken a graveyard program in Auburn and made them a challenger for the SEC title every season. I remember when they were playing for last place.

Again issa joke… but tbh women basketball isn’t the same as men’s basketball. They were 30 years behind. Even 10 years ago was so different. Even Geno can barely cling to the top.

Just a free throw away from going to the final four. Pearl is still the best coach we've had here. Too bad about that photo and the lie. He has taken a graveyard program in Auburn and made them a challenger for the SEC title every season. I remember when they were playing for last place.
And Auburn is just fun basketball to watch

Reactions: Volfan2012
Again issa joke… but tbh women basketball isn’t the same as men’s basketball. They were 30 years behind. Even 10 years ago was so different. Even Geno can barely cling to the top.
Heck look at Dawns super team last year. They lost to “one player” and in a different era that team would have 5-6 straight Nattys

Just a free throw away from going to the final four. Pearl is still the best coach we've had here. To bad about that photo and the lie. He has taken a graveyard program in Auburn and made them a challenger for the SEC title every season. I remember when they were playing for last place.
Only thing I'm saying is compare Women's results to Women's results.

Compare Kelly to other Head Coaches in Women's Basketball.

I like CRB but people act like he isn't scrutinized every year by Vols fans.
If and when they lose in tournament out of woodworks will come a running fire Barnes.
it's the nature of the Beast in Sports .

Reactions: Volfan2012

If and when they lose in tournament out of woodworks will come a running fire Barnes.
Fans seem to forget his recruiting or lack of early had fans calling for his head.

He won with less to get the program established. Somehow fans want to draw parallels that the situation is an equal.

Reactions: knoxvol52

If and when they lose in tournament out if woodworks will come a running fire Barnes.
He's done the job won an SEC title and an SEC Tourney. His teams fall flat occasionally, but so does everyone except the SC women. Except vs Kentucky one season and Iowa last year. As far as Kellie her recruiting has been her downfall. She also seems really bad at determining the talent on a roster. The schedule is always too ambitious for the personnel on hand. I think she compares really well with most women's coaches with teams of equal talent. At Tennessee your supposed to get you share of elite players and this is where the program has went wrong. It started with Holly's last two recruited classes and has not recovered at all in all five Kellie has been here. Sure she got two or three good players out of the portal one elite, but point guard and post play is not to the level that you can be a consistent winner. Whether she is coaching here or someone else they are going to need to get those elite inside players and elite point guard then you only need average to good players at the other positions.

Maybe, but if so Close's super emotional reaction seems a little over the top.

I don't think that's true any more, esp for young women in sports. They actually get celebrated for acknowledging these issues and taking time away for them. They become role models. We've come a long way.

I'm just glad Betts is back and apparently ok.
It's true alright. Take it from someone who recently retired from DMH.

Close, physical game today between Louisville and Syracuse. Refs let a lot of stuff go in the first half. Double technical was called near the end of Q2 for a little too much chatter between the players. Fair hit a buzzer beater 3 to close out the half and keep Syracuse within 3. Should be an interesting second half.

As far as Kellie her recruiting has been her downfall. She also seems really bad at determining the talent on a roster. The schedule is always too ambitious for the personnel on hand. I think she compares really well with most women's coaches with teams of equal talent. At Tennessee your supposed to get you share of elite players and this is where the program has went wrong. It started with Holly's last two recruited classes and has not recovered at all in all five Kellie has been here. Sure she got two or three good players out of the portal one elite, but point guard and post play is not to the level that you can be a consistent winner. Whether she is coaching here or someone else they are going to need to get those elite inside players and elite point guard then you only need average to good players at the other positions.

I wish you come back to reality and realize that recruiting is not the ONLY reason why the TENNESSEE program last year or this year went from being ranked highly in the preseason to not ranked at all by conference play.

Just three years ago, with a group of freshmen and two other star players that are now in the WNBA plus Tamari Key who has had to sit out a full year since was ranked #4 in the country.

The talent was good enough to get to #4 in the country.

Back then the coaching was not excellent, so the talent of those freshmen who are now juniors that you frequently diminish their abilities while talking about recruiting had a major part in that success in particular Sara Puckett.

Tamari Key was a major part of that success.

If you are trying to suggest Jewel Spear isn’t elite, there’s no need to respond to nothing you’re saying because there’s not a single HS 5-star recruit would come to Tennessee under this staff and out perform Jewel Spear. I’m not saying there are good HS players entering college, I’m saying this staff does not put young freshmen in that kind of role.

Talking about recruiting is just your way of trying to detect from the lack of coaching philosophy, purpose, and leadership from the sideline during critical games.

A good number of these programs with all these so called elite recruits are not performing much better than the LVs.

Recruiting isn’t going to change this program.

Until this team develops a philosophy that is tailored to the personnel on the roster it doesn’t matter how or who they recruit.

I wish you come back to reality and realize that recruiting is not the ONLY reason why the TENNESSEE program last year or this year went from being ranked highly in the preseason to not ranked at all by conference play.

Just three years ago, with a group of freshmen and two other star players that are now in the WNBA plus Tamari Key who has had to sit out a full year since was ranked #4 in the country.

The talent was good enough to get to #4 in the country.

Back then the coaching was not excellent, so the talent of those freshmen who are now juniors that you frequently diminish their abilities while talking about recruiting had a major part in that success in particular Sara Puckett.

Tamari Key was a major part of that success.

If you are trying to suggest Jewel Spear isn’t elite, there’s no need to respond to nothing you’re saying because there’s not a single HS 5-star recruit would come to Tennessee under this staff and out perform Jewel Spear. I’m not saying there are good HS players entering college, I’m saying this staff does not put young freshmen in that kind of role.

Talking about recruiting is just your way of trying to detect from the lack of coaching philosophy, purpose, and leadership from the sideline during critical games.

A good number of these programs with all these so called elite recruits are not performing much better than the LVs.

Recruiting isn’t going to change this program.

Until this team develops a philosophy that is tailored to the personnel on the roster it doesn’t matter how or who they recruit.
Tamari Key has never returned to even where she was two years ago. Your going to find out about our talent level real soon the talent of some other teams were getting ready to play is coming. Both Jewell and Rickea are good offensive players neither are very good defensively. To win the National Championship at least three or four of your players have to be at least top 20 Hoopgurlz rated players and we have one. So sorry five years at Tennessee recruiting has failed. We do ok in the league but were 12 and 32 against ranked teams outside the SEC. Were also prone to go ten possessions without making a shot see Texas A&M and Alabama. If your really talented that does not happen cause the coach can't make the shots for you.

VN Store

Back