Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

All 13,046 season tickets have been sold for the gamecock's WBB 2024-25 season. 4,954 seats are available as single seat purchases.

Capacity of CLA is 18,000. With all the additional banners CLA is becoming claustrophobic. :)

This year marks the 10th year in a row that South Carolina has led the nation in WBB ticket sales.

That is a truly amazing achievement for Dawn Staley and South Carolina Women's Basketball. I've been around long enough to remember that program being a perennial cellar-dweller without a prayer of ever even beating a Top 25 opponent, much less winning championships. They had a few hundred fans who'd rattle around in empty gyms to watch them (mostly) lose.

Y'all have so much to be proud of. It feels great to be on top. I remember that well!

That is a truly amazing achievement for Dawn Staley and South Carolina Women's Basketball. I've been around long enough to remember that program being a perennial cellar-dweller without a prayer of ever even beating a Top 25 opponent, much less winning championships. They had a few hundred fans who'd rattle around in empty gyms to watch them (mostly) lose.

Y'all have so much to be proud of. It feels great to be on top. I remember that well!
I'm a South Carolina alum (late 2000s) and I'm sad I just missed out on the Dawn Staley era. I had to beg friends to go to games with me (really just when the Lady Vols were visiting Columbia) and it's wild how much that environment has changed.

I'm a South Carolina alum (late 2000s) and I'm sad I just missed out on the Dawn Staley era. I had to beg friends to go to games with me (really just when the Lady Vols were visiting Columbia) and it's wild how much that environment has changed.

I honestly can't think of any program that made as dramatic a turnaround so quickly. Maybe Connecticut.

I’m so jealous of them right now! 😩🥴😂 I was only able to really celebrate our winning days of 07 & 08! After that it was mostly downhill for me. I can only imagine how fun it must’ve been to have watched us win back in our heyday!

All 13,046 season tickets have been sold for the gamecock's WBB 2024-25 season. 4,954 seats are available as single seat purchases.

Capacity of CLA is 18,000. With all the additional banners CLA is becoming claustrophobic. :)

This year marks the 10th year in a row that South Carolina has led the nation in WBB ticket sales.court side

This year marks the 10th year in a row that South Carolina has led the nation in WBB ticket sales.
Court side $650 for a season. That’s real chicken feed

I honestly can't think of any program that made as dramatic a turnaround so quickly. Maybe Connecticut.

Girl, like Kim Mulkey and LSU don’t exist? Rags to riches.

Edit, also Kim at Baylor. Two of the biggest turnarounds in WBB history. Took Baylor from 7-20 to 20-9 in one season and won a natty in year 5.

Dawn didn’t even break through in the SEC until year 6.

Reactions: Dak1219
Girl, like Kim Mulkey and LSU don’t exist? Rags to riches.

Edit, also Kim at Baylor. Two of the biggest turnarounds in WBB history. Took Baylor from 7-20 to 20-9 in one season and won a natty in year 5.

Dawn didn’t even break through in the SEC until year 6.
LSU was hardly a bottom dweller before Mulkey.

I’m talking about programs that were practically invisible becoming powerhouses. For South Carolina to be where they are now in such a relatively short time is almost unbelievable.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Just an FYI. Geno was hired in 1985. His first title was 10 years later. Hardly a quick turn around.
I didn't know that a turn around required a natty.

Cribbed from Wikipedia:

“The team had a losing record during its first six seasons under coaches Sandra Hamm (1974–75) and Wanda Flora (1975–80), and only one winning season (in 1980–81) in five seasons under Jean Balthaser (1980–85).

In Auriemma's 6th season (1990–91) the Huskies broke through on the national scene, again capturing the Big East regular season and Tournament titles, and earning a #3 seed in the East Regional of the NCAA Tournament, its highest seed up to then. UConn beat Toledo 81–80 at Gampel Pavilion in the opening round, with Bascom scoring an NCAA tournament single-game record 39 points. The Huskies then moved on to the regionals at The Palestra in Auriemma's hometown of Philadelphia. Here, the team upset heavily favored ACC power North Carolina State in the Sweet 16, and then defeated Clemson 60–57 in the Elite Eight to advance to their first-ever Final Four (also a first for any Big East school).”

He took them from cellar dweller to NCAA tournament second round in three or four years. Like him or hate him, that is a turnaround.

I don't see South Carolina winning the SEC or NCAA tournament this year. LSU is stacked and although no one is making a lot of noise about them, Kim has her best team since she entered the SEC this upcoming season. Dawn has never won the big games without a dominate post and we will see more of that this season.

I don't see South Carolina winning the SEC or NCAA tournament this year. LSU is stacked and although no one is making a lot of noise about them, Kim has her best team since she entered the SEC this upcoming season. Dawn has never won the big games without a dominate post and we will see more of that this season.

No one thought SC would win it all last year. So you think the 24-25 version of LSU is better than last year's dream team?

I know other programs typically receive high praise on the forum for various reasons, but if this is about truth there’s no way this year’s LSU team is close to being the best in the Coach Mulkey era. The 2023-2024 LSU team got beat by teams like Colorado, Auburn, and Mississippi State. This season they don’t have anything close to a better roster after losing Reese and Van Lith. Their portal additions will have to exceed expectations for them to even still be considered an elite team once the season starts and we’re no longer talking about the past. That’s a fact

I know other programs typically receive high praise on the forum for various reasons, but if this is about truth there’s no way this year’s LSU team is close to being the best in the Coach Mulkey era. The 2023-2024 LSU team got beat by teams like Colorado, Auburn, and Mississippi State. This season they don’t have anything close to a better roster after losing Reese and Van Lith. Their portal additions will have to exceed expectations for them to even still be considered an elite team once the season starts and we’re no longer talking about the past. That’s a fact
I’m not judging until the season ends, but I would venture to say they might be better just because Van Lith is gone. She was a horrible fit for that team most of season, not all. I would not be surprised if they are better or worse, but I like to see how it plays out before I state facts since speculation isn’t a fact. Mulkey has proven many a person wrong and I hope our Lady Vols do the same this upcoming season.

I’m not judging until the season ends, but I would venture to say they might be better just because Van Lith is gone. She was a horrible fit for that team most of season, not all. I would not be surprised if they are better or worse, but I like to see how it plays out before I state facts since speculation isn’t a fact. Mulkey has proven many a person wrong and I hope our Lady Vols do the same this upcoming season.
Agree. I believe Day Wilson will be a big upgrade at pg for them. They have Last Tear back too. And they have two of the best players in the SEC in FJ and Morrow, and also Williams. They should be very, very good.

Actually, 4,965 seats are not “ available as single seat purchases.” Most of that number are reserved for students, visiting teams’s allotments and press credentials. Those that are unused will be sold for individual games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
As an XL Center season ticket holder at UConn, I am really not happy with our OOC home schedule this year. It took a lot longer before the school released it, and I guess they couldn't find any strong schools to play us at home. This is our home, neutral, and road schedule for OOC games this year. (teams that matter)

Neutral- #13 UNC (played in Greensboro, NC), NR Oregon State, #20 Ole Miss., #17 Louisville, #8 Iowa State (played at Mohegan Sun Arena)
Road- #6 Notre Dame, NR Tennessee, #1 South Carolina
Home- #3 USC
Playing 4 cupcakes that we haven't played in years, if at all.
Knock on wood, but so far, no new injuries, but Fudd, Ducharme, and Griffin will not be ready at the start of the season.
Fudd hopefully in December, Griffin tore her ACL late in the season, and Ducharme, well that is a mystery. I realize that she has dedicated her entire life to get to this point in her career, but if she isn't ready by now, she should think about hanging it up. College basketball is getting more physical, so if her condition is that delicate, well she may never be ready. Feel for her.

Last edited:

My response to a post about LSU having the best team in the Coach Mulkey era is straightforward. They don’t even have a better team than last season after losing two career All-Americans. That team loss to Auburn, Mississippi State, and Colorado. As I stated, posters on this forum will definitely praise other programs even when it’s unwarranted in many cases. Van Lith came to LSU averaging 20 pts a game. I’m not about to discredit any new LSU player, I can count well enough though to know that losing 20 points vs gaining 12 points in any position is not an automatic upgrade. And for the past two seasons having a natural born leader and record setting rebounder won’t be replaced overnight. But again, this is expected dialogue and where knowledgeable basketball people come to ignore the clique.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back