Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I'm excited to see the starters and minutes distribution for South Carolina's exhibition against Memphis this week. Who do you think the starters will be? Is this going to be a big breakout season for Feagin?
I actually plan to go see SC play in Memphis tomorrow! Should be fun.

I actually plan to go see SC play in Memphis tomorrow! Should be fun.
If I had a chance I'd try to speak with LVFL Coach Alex Fuller Simmons for a moment to tell her how much I appreciated her as a Lady Vol. That fifth season she stayed, post-injury, to be a mature leader to a bunch of new young players, told me then that someday she'll be a head coach. And turns out I was right.

Memphis is likely to get trounced, but an Alex Simmons-coached team is going to be tough and give it all they have. This exhibition will help Memphis much more than it'll help SC -- with the exception of SC using the visit to get young Memphis girls excited about SC.

I do hope you'll tell us your impressions about the game!

"Joining Johnson, Morrow, and Booker on the All-SEC First Team are Sarah Ashlee Barker (Alabama), Georgia Amoore (Kentucky), Raegan Beers (Oklahoma), and Te-Hina Paopao (South Carolina). The poll also recognized a second team composed of Mikaylah Williams (LSU), Madison Scott (Ole Miss), Skylar Vann (Oklahoma), Raven Johnson (South Carolina), MiLaysia Fulwiley (South Carolina), and Rori Harmon (Texas)."

I wonder if any team has ever scheduled or faced such a gauntlet, 7 of the top ten teams and play one of those (Texas) twice For a total of 8 matchups vs top ten teams, gotta be a record imo. But I don’t know for sure. Maybe someone can show a more difficult schedule historically. I’ll hang up and listen…thx

P.S.: I will say if SC goes 5-3 or 4-4 in those contests (half are on road) it bodes well for them come tourney time. They will be battle tested to be sure, and not out of the question they might go 6-2 or better, Though I’m not wagering on that tbh. I like the hugely difficult schedule however for this team’s preparation. Does not even include the other 4 games against top 25 teams or other tough SEC games like against LV’s, nuff said, very difficult season upcoming for all. Predicting most competitive SEC race in many years, maybe ever.

Based on Monday's interview Dawn is very high on this team. She said they are far ahead of where they were last year at this time.

I think she'd have to sit out a year. She'll be a nice pick-up for someone. Didn't she play at Miss State w/Rickea?
Good call, yes she did. I looked it up, she was a frosh during the nightmare Nikki McCray coached covid yr at MSU, then played there the next season when RIckea left mid season.

Then Matharu transferred to Texas for a year, then transferred to Florida where she sat out a yr and then played last yr. LOL, she's apparently the latest of the 30 yr old SEC players.

She's a 3 time transfer, not sure what if anything that says about her.

Grad transfer is different.

As of April of this year. Hell, it's probably changed since.

"Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows.Apr 17, 2024

Absent an approved waiver, the athlete had to sit out a year. The legislation does not limit the number of times an athlete can transfer. Portal windows still exist. The NCAA sent out memos to institutions twice this year stating that multi-time transfers could play immediately in 2024-25 without securing a waiver.Apr 24, 2024"

Reactions: maple and southie
As of April of this year. Hell, it's probably changed since.

"Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports' final transfer windows.Apr 17, 2024

Absent an approved waiver, the athlete had to sit out a year. The legislation does not limit the number of times an athlete can transfer. Portal windows still exist. The NCAA sent out memos to institutions twice this year stating that multi-time transfers could play immediately in 2024-25 without securing a waiver.Apr 24, 2024"
Grad Transfers are totally free to transfer anytime and go anywhere and be eligible immediately.

"Staley confirmed the Gamecocks’ starting lineup for Tuesday night’s exhibition game. Raven Johnson, Te-Hina Paopao, Bree Hall, Chloe Kitts and Sania Feagin will take the court together to kick off the preseason, USC’s coach told reporters Monday in a post-practice interview. Staley said the starting lineup could change between now and South Carolina’s season opener Nov. 4 versus Michigan and from game to game thereafter. But Tuesday provides a welcome opportunity for Staley and her team to test out different combinations of last season’s stalwarts and this season’s newcomers."

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...asketball/article293943049.html#storylink=cpy

"Staley confirmed the Gamecocks’ starting lineup for Tuesday night’s exhibition game. Raven Johnson, Te-Hina Paopao, Bree Hall, Chloe Kitts and Sania Feagin will take the court together to kick off the preseason, USC’s coach told reporters Monday in a post-practice interview. Staley said the starting lineup could change between now and South Carolina’s season opener Nov. 4 versus Michigan and from game to game thereafter. But Tuesday provides a welcome opportunity for Staley and her team to test out different combinations of last season’s stalwarts and this season’s newcomers."

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...asketball/article293943049.html#storylink=cpy
Tonight's scrimmage in Memphis is being broadcast on ESPN+ at 9:30 PM.

Grad Transfers are totally free to transfer anytime and go anywhere and be eligible immediately.

Then explain the following. It says they can transfer anytime to anywhere, but if they want to play immediately, they have to do it during the transfer windows.

"Similar to the current bylaws, athletes would not be able to transfer mid-year and play for a new school in the same athletic season.

This means when the college football portal window closes on April 30, it will be the last time grad transfers can enter before next December. The same goes for college basketball players when their portal window shuts on May 1.

Changes have been made to grad transfer requirements and have been immediately installed.

“Student-athletes who plan to enroll as graduate students at their next school can enter the portal at any time during the academic year but must enter the portal prior to the conclusion of their respective sports’ final transfer windows,” the NCAA wrote in a press release last week."

VN Store

Back