Not to be outdone in the race to advance the U.S. as a (so-called) Christian nation, Oklahoma says the Bible is to be included in the curriculum

So last week the Louisiana legislature passed a bill requiring that the Ten Commandments be posted in every classroom. In the race to the bottom demonstrating an utter lack of understanding of even the most rudimentary understanding of and respect for the concept of separation of church and state, Oklahoma announces that the Bible is going to be part of the curriculum.

So take that, Louisiana! Oklahoma says it can be even more unconstitutional and repressive of religious liberty than you! (Cue banjo music here).

Uhhhh ok? there used to be one in pretty much every classroom for ages.

Lets face it, progressives have had no problem proselytizing their own religion of atheistic hedonism in the classroom.

Well, there is no separation of church and state in the constitution so this is perfectly constitutional. Hopefully it ends up in front of this court and they can correct a past wrong by the court.

This is dumb, even though it's constitutional it's stupid and I hope the people of OK correct this through their state and local elections.

the establishment clause of the constitution, ace. Teaching the bible in public schools would violate the constitution and I believe has been rejected by the courts before. Certainly, the plastering of the ten commandments in public buildings has been rejected. But who knows what the radicals on SCOTUS might decide on this issue....

The words "separation of church and state" do not appear in the U.S. Constitution, but the concept is enshrined in the very first freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

TEACHING the Bible is different from PREACHING the Bible. I think that the OP missed that part.

The leftists are trying to erase anything Christian so legislating to NOT teach that part of history is no doubt on their to do list.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
and yet you cant list them for Trump.

Can't list them for trump? Trump is an extreme lowlife and an extreme convicted felon and lawbreaker, and an extreme traitor.
His policy positions? He doesn't have many because he doesn't read and doesn't understand policy and he adopts policy positions on the fly based on whether they suit him personally or not.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
So did Reagan..the founder of modern conservatism. We have had this debatebefore and you only use a fish eye lense. Whatever, I dont really care.
I look at it rationally. When did conservatives become in favor of big govt, reckless spending, massive debt, forever wars, surveillance state, etc.? Which lens do I need to see those?

the establishment clause of the constitution, ace. Teaching the bible in public schools would violate the constitution and I believe has been rejected by the courts before. Certainly, the plastering of the ten commandments in public buildings has been rejected. But who knows what the radicals on SCOTUS might decide on this issue....

The words "separation of church and state" do not appear in the U.S. Constitution, but the concept is enshrined in the very first freedom guaranteed by the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

Yep, the establishment clause forbids the federal government from establishing a state religion. Doesn't say a damn thing about the states.

TEACHING the Bible is different from PREACHING the Bible. I think that the OP missed that part.

The leftists are trying to erase anything Christian so legislating to NOT teach that part of history is no doubt on their to do list.

It's not history. Teaching the bible is preaching the bible--and the bible is a bunch of hooey. The left is not trying to erase anything christian--simply keep it out of public schools, forums, buildings, etc. It's great for churches and your home, if you're so inclined.

If they are going to teach the bible they should be teaching the holy books from at least the other 2 main religions.

Plus I don't like the idea of a teacher that doesn't know the bible or even believes in the bible teaching it.

It's not history. Teaching the bible is preaching the bible--and the bible is a bunch of hooey. The left is not trying to erase anything christian--simply keep it out of public schools, forums, buildings, etc. It's great for churches and your home, if you're so inclined.

So the Jews didn't escape from Egypt?

Reactions: whodeycin85
Yep, the establishment clause forbids the federal government from establishing a state religion. Doesn't say a damn thing about the states.

I don't think that will fly---but the christian crazies are always trying. The Arkansas Effect. Also Oklahoma and a number of other 1800 states.

Which class? What's the purpose of teaching it? Are we supposed to act like it's a historical doc now?

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT

You are very wrong. That’s like saying teaching about Hitler is pushing for the students to become Nazis.

So the Jews didn't escape from Egypt?

If it's in the bible, probably not.

Historians do not consider the bible to be a historical reference text. Many private individuals do, of course, and that's fine--people believe a lot of crazy nonsense. Some religious zanies built a huge Noah's Ark somewhere in Kentucky; it's something akin to Disneyworld, which is fictional entertainment, too.

If they are going to teach the bible they should be teaching the holy books from at least the other 2 main religions.

Plus I don't like the idea of a teacher that doesn't know the bible or even believes in the bible teaching it.

The founding of the USA and Christianity are heavily intertwined. Not so much with the other two.

When the leftists try to erase other religions then states can pass legislation there as well.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
If it's in the bible, probably not.

Historians do not consider the bible to be a historical reference text. Many private individuals do, of course, and that's fine--people believe a lot of crazy nonsense. Some religious zanies built a huge Noah's Ark somewhere in Kentucky; it's something akin to Disneyworld, which is fictional entertainment, too.

If historians completely discount the bible having any historical value they aren't much of a historian.

I look at it rationally. When did conservatives become in favor of big govt, reckless spending, massive debt, forever wars, surveillance state, etc.? Which lens do I need to see those?
You are saying Trump isnt conservative, which was my point. Hence a moderate supported by a conservative base. Not sure why you threw in forever wars and such as Trump didnt exhibit those.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
The founding of the USA and Christianity are heavily intertwined. Not so much with the other two.

When the leftists try to erase other religions then states can pass legislation there as well.

It's fine to explain that when discussing the history of the US but the bible doesn't cover our coming into existence.

Hitler was real; bible stories, most of them, are not.

Yet going on 10 billion copies have been produced.

Again, you are mixing up teaching and preaching. Teaching is explaining its existence and its place in the world. Preaching it is promoting the content.

Christianity has shaped the world.

What’s the purpose of teaching calculus or art history?
Bible = calculus? Are you saying they're going to teach how many were enslaved or killed in the name of a Christian god or just read the nice stories? I can understand the influence without opening the book

The Supreme Court ruled 80 years ago that it applies to the states.

VN Store

Back