Not to be outdone in the race to advance the U.S. as a (so-called) Christian nation, Oklahoma says the Bible is to be included in the curriculum

Christianity has shaped the world.

What’s the purpose of teaching calculus or art history?

Christianity has shaped YOUR PART of the World, and was PART OF the principles of religious freedom which in part drove independence.

I keep saying in part, or your part, because the FF realized (correctly) that their view of God differed from that of others and that government has ZERO business promoting a particular religious point of view.

Reactions: EasternVol
Teaching how Christianity has had an effect on the world is different that teaching the bible.

The Bible is chock full of Christian history. The video from a couple thousand years ago didn’t survive the fires, floods, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, and what not.

Christianity has shaped YOUR PART of the World, and was PART OF the principles of religious freedom which in part drove independence.

I keep saying in part, or your part, because the FF realized (correctly) that their view of God differed from that of others and that government has ZERO business promoting a particular religious point of view.

Teaching the Bible’s significance and history and it’s accounts of history isn’t promoting it.

Millions of non-Christians have had their lives affected by Christianity.

This has come up in the past as christian crazies in red states have tried many times to teach creationism in public schools and have likewise tried to have teachers raise doubts about evolution.

When that didn't work, christian groups ginned up some term to camouflage creationism and give it a scientific veneer. What was the term--"scientific design" or somesuch? They tried to rebrand creationism as "scientific creationism." Frontline did a show on this topic years ago, and it's reporters found a document by a christian group that was all the basic hoo-haw about creationism, except every reference to "creationism" in the document was blacked out and replaced with "scientific design." It was rather funny; nobody was fooled.

Everyone of course is free to believe what he wants--but teaching it in public schools is a different matter.

Christians and christian politicians are corrupt and devious. This is why we have a few red states now--I think Oklahoma is one--are actually using public taxpayer money for vouchers that are given to people who can use them to send their kids to christian schools. Total BS that must be outlawed. But christian crazies are like "living skeletons" in the 1958 movie Jason and the Argonauts: you slay them and they just keep popping up. We have many ferociously determined backward people in America.

Yep and just like a lot of past rulings they were wrong.

So says the Hog man---and other MAGA! And this is precisely the state of MAGA conservatism today: Facts and precedent be damned; we'll believe whatever nonsense we wish to believe---starting with 'this trump goon will make American great again!" Oh, my!

The Bible is chock full of Christian history. The video from a couple thousand years ago didn’t survive the fires, floods, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, and what not.

Yes it is but I don't see how that is relevant to a public education. Teaching how Christianity has had an effect on world history, yes that would be a legitimate block of education but teaching the bible is a stretch.

So says the Hog man---and other MAGA! And this is precisely the state of MAGA conservatism today: Facts and precedent be damned; we'll believe whatever nonsense we wish to believe---starting with 'this trump goon will make American great again!" Oh, my!

The current court agrees with me.

You are saying Trump isnt conservative, which was my point. Hence a moderate supported by a conservative base. Not sure why you threw in forever wars and such as Trump didnt exhibit those.

Where did i mention Trump? I'm saying the gop and most of its members are not conservative no matter how many times they claim it. The candidates and policies they support do not match those claims

If historians completely discount the bible having any historical value they aren't much of a historian.

TurboVol is talking out of her butt again. Most of the OT (at least after Solomon) has pretty much been verified by Historians:

Regarding Jesus, this (atheist) historian does a great job of breaking down why you basically have to acknowledge Jesus and a large chunk of New Testament accounts historically

He also does brief summaries of archaeological finds that support the Bible

More explanation:

1719523072907.png

Teaching the Bible’s significance and history and it’s accounts of history isn’t promoting it.

Millions of non-Christians have had their lives affected by Christianity.
Which is already taught. It can easily be done without opening the book

TurboVol is talking out of her butt again. Most of the OT (at least after Solomon) has pretty much been verified by Historians:

Regarding Jesus, this (atheist) historian does a great job of breaking down why you basically have to acknowledge Jesus and a large chunk of New Testament accounts historically

He also does brief summaries of archaeological finds that support the Bible

More explanation:

View attachment 654651

They were written during those time periods so of course their account features current events. I'm pretty sure people aren't reading and teaching the Bible only to talk about cities, rivers and buildings. It's kinda like the DaVinci Code book

Yet going on 10 billion copies have been produced.

Again, you are mixing up teaching and preaching. Teaching is explaining its existence and its place in the world. Preaching it is promoting the content.

Teaching about christianity and its spread, or teaching about any and all religions---how they emerged, where and why, the popes, catholicism, islam, judaism, protestant reformation, all of it, is fine. The crusades were real. But that is different from teaching the bible. Teaching the bible is preaching.

This has come up in the past as christian crazies in red states have tried many times to teach creationism in public schools and have likewise tried to have teachers raise doubts about evolution.

When that didn't work, christian groups ginned up some term to camouflage creationism and give it a scientific veneer. What was the term--"scientific design" or somesuch? They tried to rebrand creationism as "scientific creationism." Frontline did a show on this topic years ago, and it's reporters found a document by a christian group that was all the basic hoo-haw about creationism, except every reference to "creationism" in the document was blacked out and replaced with "scientific design." It was rather funny; nobody was fooled.

Everyone of course is free to believe what he wants--but teaching it in public schools is a different matter.

Christians and christian politicians are corrupt and devious. This is why we have a few red states now--I think Oklahoma is one--are actually using public taxpayer money for vouchers that are given to people who can use them to send their kids to christian schools. Total BS that must be outlawed. But christian crazies are like "living skeletons" in the 1958 movie Jason and the Argonauts: you slay them and they just keep popping up. We have many ferociously determined backward people in America.

pfff... you would never make it in the Holy Roman Empire. Now kiss the Hapsburg ring and apologize to the Pope or we may need to have you meet with an Inquisition.

1719523335824.png

1719523487370.png

So last week the Louisiana legislature passed a bill requiring that the Ten Commandments be posted in every classroom. In the race to the bottom demonstrating an utter lack of understanding of even the most rudimentary understanding of and respect for the concept of separation of church and state, Oklahoma announces that the Bible is going to be part of the curriculum.

So take that, Louisiana! Oklahoma says it can be even more unconstitutional and repressive of religious liberty than you! (Cue banjo music here).

What are they hoping to obtain by this? What is the purpose?

Teaching about christianity and its spread, or teaching about any and all religions---how they emerged, where and why, the popes, catholicism, islam, judaism, protestant reformation, all of it, is fine. The crusades were real. But that is different from teaching the bible. Teaching the bible is preaching.

Oklahoma is requiring teaching ABOUT the Bible. Not teaching the Bible as in promoting the messages contained in it.

VN Store

Back