Now trending - Bare Shelves Biden

Lololol. I love how the one example they use of a MARKET failure lists governing bodies as the driving factors of that market.

It lists the EU as driving the change of gasoline production/supply for Europe. Then fails to mention the US governments heavy handed role in that "market" here, but still lists it as a problem. Seriously energy is probably the worst industry to refer to when pointing to "market" issues. The government has literally gone to war over this, and still has large vested military resources in that market.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
There are a lot of things that I wouldn't have known I liked without trying them, a couple being chicken and beef calf liver. My ex wouldn't try anything new and one of my kids is the same and the other is like me and will try anything.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Food wise yes. But in the grand scheme, some things are best left alone.

Hopefully, banks will be paying more than 1% interest rates though... hopefully.

If they can catch the magic genie in a bottle with high inflation and only 1% savings rates, they will clamor for "wealth" or taxes on savings. Will argue since you are net losing, tax it for America as investment.
Sounds silly I know.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
What's more ominous is the port lockdown in china. In a moment of sanity, one would think that we need to get back to making and growing stuff in this country and eliminate our dependence on them, but there is no such thing as sanity in DC. More a case of criminal insanity among our pseudo elected officials. Like nature's way of renewal...sometimes you've got to burn it all down and start over. It's going to be painful but necessary I suspect.

One opinion piece proves it entirely? An opinion piece that still fails to even mention the impact policies at home and abroad have had on the supply chain and workforce (even if one considers it minimal).
Boy, no one on this board seems to know what a "market failure" is (other than @volinbham and me). It's got a technical meaning in economics. @volinbham suggested I didn't know what the term meant, so I supplied an example of someone examining how the current supply chain issues represent a market failure, in the technical, economic sense.

What Is Market Failure?

Boy, no one on this board seems to know what a "market failure" is (other than @volinbham and me). It's got a technical meaning in economics. @volinbham suggested I didn't know what the term meant, so I supplied an example of someone examining how the current supply chain issues represent a market failure, in the technical, economic sense.

What Is Market Failure?

You did nothing but link to the article you were parroting. You’re legit ambulance chaser.

Reactions: VOLS INC.
Going shopping today for the leftovers in the grocery store. The shelves were still half bare from the last bad weather that came through and never filled back up. Wife went to the grocery store last night for a few odds and ends but her list of 5-6 items couldn't be filled. With another system looming and people knowing they might not be able to move for a couple of days popular items cleared the selves immediately.

2022. Where strong evidence of “Full-Comprehension” is ones ability to link articles after conducting a Google search.

We are so screwed.

At least BB85 copy and paste his and provides the sources. He's come a long way.

At least BB85 copy and paste his and provides the sources. He's come a long way.

I’m all about supporting your arguments with other relevant arguments. In academia, it is required. But typically, you have to show you have a good understanding of the subject matter by actually making an argument in your own words. You then support that argument by referencing other peer-reviewed sources.

What’s not acceptable, because it’s ridiculous, is to provide the link to an opinion piece, yell “Gotcha”, drop the mic, and walk off like you did something. All you did was prove you can use Google. Congrats, so can a 4 year old.

Reactions: BreatheUT

What Is Market Failure?
I was an economics major and have a masters degree in government/public administration so I believe I understand it. We’ll call it a market failure, fine. But you refuse to acknowledge that the root cause of the market failure was misguided, heavy handed government intervention into the market when it wasn’t necessary. The very definition you posted explicitly says the failure occurs in a free market. The failures we’re seeing aren’t typical externalities resulting from a free market. The government stepping in with exuberant unemployment benefits & pumping “free money” into the citizenry’s hands, artificially raised the wages necessary to hire workers and/or kept workers out of the workforce. Both have led to cost-push inflation where we have a decrease in supply of goods coming to market due to the cost of production or distribution of said goods, therefore raising the price of the few good that we have access to. Compounding that, is the free money floating around being thrown at too few goods.

The literal forcing of businesses to close under the threat of financial and/or penal actions (much of 2020) only exacerbated the production side and created a backlog. Tied back to the first point, once those workers went home a lot didn’t come back.

The energy sector is driven not only by pure supply and demand but it’s highly driven by speculation on the future’s market as well. The administration’s insistence on cleaner energy and pressuring of divestiture in the fossil fuel industry has helped fuel higher prices, coupled with a return to a more normal demand. The government has halted the issuing of new leases/permits for exploration and future production on federal lands while proposing to hike the royalties for drilling on current leases; both raise the prospective/future cost of oil. The administration has pressured banks to divest from the fossil fuel energy in the form of limiting access to capital for producers/investors in the name of climate change, stifling further investment and exploration. Domestic production lags behind 2019/early 2020 levels by 2M BPD and even lags behind 2020 levels as a whole. Drillers have been cautious to fire-up operations to pre 2020 levels under the “fear” of potential waning demand in the name of the boogeyman driving it all…Covid.

Here’s where government intervention into a free market has had the biggest hand in creating the market failures. Bureaucratic agencies devising and enforcing quarantine and medical decision making policies on private businesses, in addition to the government pushing a fear-mongering narrative, have had the largest & most direct impact on the functioning of the market. The logjam of sitting containers and floating ships on the west coast was created by understaffed ports at Long Beach and LA and limited chassis/drivers from Covid quarantine policies. No other sickness in modern history has one been told how long they must stay out of work before returning. A sickness that may put someone down for 2-3 days and then they’re well enough to return to work has forced them out for 10-14 days at a time. The increased work load and stress points on the workers still present, led some to say f*** it I’m out, further snowballing the situation. Thanks to the government’s intervention into the marketplace these workers can go somewhere else and make more money, due to higher wages being offered to attract workers or they can sit at home, be compensated well enough to survive while being extra-picky about future employment prospects. I have first hand experience with the latter situation. My current administrative assistant quit her job in mid-2020 because her drive was getting to her financially and she was able to collect unemployment and be better off. Her unemployment allowed her to turn down job offers and she went as far in the negotiation process of telling employers that what they offered wasn’t competitive enough because she could make more not working. Only when my opening came along, did she decide it was time to go back to work because of what it paid. What it took to get her, was nearly 20% more than we were currently paying any other admin in our department. What did we do after that? Raised everyone else’s salary in those roles to keep them on par with each other and prevent a mutiny, knowing that any of them could see the salary being offered on the public job posting. Nobody was unhappy with their wages at the time of her hiring, while the free market had dictated what they were worth and two independent entities came together on a mutual agreement, independent of any artificial, external factors.

Last edited:
More empty refrigerators at Walmart. Ship is going to get worse according to the manager I talked with. Trucks are showing up without meats and dairy. Anything refrigerated. Milk and eggs are going to be next. Plan accordingly.
DflMi6FGVsFy.jpeg

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back